PDA

View Full Version : outlook.com or gmail.com email ??

19-08-2013, 12:46 PM
Hi Guys

outlook.com or gmail.com for a free email ? Is outlook.com better than the old hotmail ??
Ive got both myname@gmail.com & myname@outlook.com (I dont use the outlook.com email at the mo) . Ive been using the gmail a/c as a email dump so Id rather not use that one , but want to keep myname@ as my email adress , so is outlook.com as good as gmail ?

I want to move away from xtra/yahoo after more email delay issues on the weekend : I even sent test emails to myself, 2 & 3 arrived instantly, test1 arrived much much later. This is hopeless when trying to communicate with someone through email , you dont know if its been delayed or not. Intermittent delays of up to a day happen with some xtra emails.

Cheers

ruup
19-08-2013, 02:25 PM
Personally I prefer Gmail,Outlook.com doers not play well with my preferred browser (Opera).But both have their issues.Cheers

Greven
19-08-2013, 02:43 PM
Each has some things it does better than the other, but both are very good.

ronyville
19-08-2013, 02:54 PM
Between the 2, I would go with gmail.

inphinity
19-08-2013, 03:28 PM
Both are good, imo. Personal preference. I use both, for different reasons. Neither has, in my experience, been significantly better or worse than the other from a reliability perspective. I prefer the outlook.com web interface, but gmail offers easier access to some features, as well as more seamless integration with chrome, android etc (though the outlook.com android app is great).

pct
19-08-2013, 03:49 PM
I'm only with outlook because myname@gmail is not available! I do like outlook though and you can setup account aliases

ie name@outlook.co.nz/.com or @hotmail.co.nz or @live.com all within the one account so that's handy

Nick G
19-08-2013, 04:12 PM
I've got an account with each - I like them both, and haven't noticed any spam issues with either.
I use gmail as my main account just because I got it first, so no point changing just for the sake of changing. Also, I'm more tied in with Google services than Microsoft ones. Gmail and Outlook.com are about the same in terms of quality imho.

20-08-2013, 11:08 AM
Hi Guys
I just found out that outlook.com has no imap support , so its looking like a switch to gmail instead would be a better long term option .

Cheers

gary67
20-08-2013, 08:25 PM
Hi Guys
I just found out that outlook.com has no imap support , so its looking like a switch to gmail instead would be a better long term option .

Cheers
No it has its own version can't recall what they call it. I use both and have the same user name with different tails

Nomad
20-08-2013, 08:39 PM
Hi Guys

Cheers

Outlook has MAPI which is their version of cloud service.
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/microsoft-office-outlook-hotmail-connector-overview-HA010222518.aspx

You can install this into Outlook or it is included with 2013, basically it (Outlook desktop) can sync online with Outlook.com. If you are running an Android, you can install the Outlook app and enable calendar synching and enable push email ... Just disable Google calendar sync so you don't get dual copies...

Greven
20-08-2013, 08:50 PM
Or you can use Windows Live Mail if you don't want to fork out for the Outlook desktop app

Greg
20-08-2013, 10:02 PM
I'm beginning to like Outlook more since Gmail has become so much more of a social interaction hub.