PDA

View Full Version : What is a good quality wireless modem?

Strommer
15-08-2013, 06:23 PM
I need to buy a new wireless modem. What is a good brand?
I am looking for something that is stable (less disconnects from the internet) and that is immune to interference from RF emissions (not just portable and cell phones but all radio frequencies).

My IPC is Slingshot and they have a Netcomm NB604N for $154, however I have no idea if Netcomm is a good product or if this is a good price.

Here is the PriceSpy list: http://pricespy.co.nz/category.php?k=386&o=produkt_namn&s=400

Thanks.

wratterus
15-08-2013, 06:31 PM
For a basic, stable, fairly good all in one, Asus DSL-N12U.

Chilling_Silence
15-08-2013, 09:15 PM
Definitely not the NB604N!

I've run into a few issues lately with the DSL-N12U myself.

About the only thing that I can still safely recommend would be the DrayTek DV120 + TP-Link TL-WR1043ND running Gargoyle. Everything else has let me down.... And even then the power supplies on the DrayTek they were using for a bit were prone to failure (Thankfully SnapperNet were great about replacing them though).

inphinity
15-08-2013, 09:20 PM
I am looking for something that is stable (less disconnects from the internet) and that is immune to interference from RF emissions (not just portable and cell phones but all radio frequencies).

Less disconnects than what?
No wifi device is 'immune to interference'. That's the nature of a public spectrum.

Asus DSL-N55U if you need one with an ADSL2+ modem in it. Anything by Draytek is solid - but the wifi on the N55U is tops imo ;)

16-08-2013, 09:26 AM
and that is immune to interference from RF emissions (not just portable and cell phones but all radio frequencies).

I think you want something that doesnt exist :lol:

People need to get real with wifi. It is not a magical medium that allways works
-anything on 2.4Ghz can cause interference, its a open freq & can be used for anything , phones, remote controlls,garage door openers
-some sites wifi is never reliable...just the way it is.
-it may not work through 3 floors
-it may not work when the electrician installs a METAL box to put the wifi router in
-it may not work when the router is in a separate building & one of the rooms is underground
-repeaters do not magically allways work, often can be flaky . Devices may not connect to the best node as you move around
-mesh networks can have quite a few bugs to sort out . Devices may not connect to the best node as you move around (Ive seen this )

rant over :p

dugimodo
16-08-2013, 09:48 AM
+1 for the Asus. I have been using the Asus N55U since december and it's been rock solid. After my recent upgrade to VDSL I managed to put the new router in bridge mode and continue using the Asus (thanks to help from here and a post on geekzone).

Compared to the telecom supplied technicolor VDSL modem the Asus has more than double the speed over wi-fi and much better coverage. Testing from my smartphone with the speedtest app the Asus managed about 30/9 MBps compared to 13/9 on the technicolor (PC via ethernet is 34/10). It's also a dual band 2.4/5 Ghz router.

bk T
16-08-2013, 09:50 AM
DrayTek vigor 120 with Linksys EA3500 - rock solid.

Alex B
16-08-2013, 11:14 AM
Or an all in one DrayTek solution the Vigor 2710ne

Alex B
16-08-2013, 01:04 PM
BTW there is a DV130 modem only out now or very soon which also supports VDSL.

Chilling_Silence
16-08-2013, 02:25 PM
Yeah the DV130 is like double the price of the DV120 unfortunately :(

Still they're *nice*! :D

notechyet
16-08-2013, 09:38 PM
I have been using a Fritzbox 7290 for something like a couple of years. still going well and can recommend.
just my 2cents.