PDA

View Full Version : transferring files from S3 to nexus 7

dugimodo
08-08-2013, 03:50 PM
I bought a base model nexus 7 on sale at pbtech yesterday ($310) and I'm quite impressed with it. I can't get NFC to work between it and my S3 though and I read it uses Bluetooth and is really slow anyway.So anyone transfer files between android devices and care to offer suggestions? I suspect the easiest way is going to involve using a PC and transferring over USB but occasionally I might want to do it directly. Pairing them and using Bluetooth works but it's not quick.

pcuser42
08-08-2013, 05:26 PM
Can't answer your question but it's interesting that you can't get NFC to work either - I tried it between my brother's S3 and my Lumia 920 and couldn't get it going...

Chilling_Silence
08-08-2013, 05:41 PM
You've gotta manually turn it on, on the S3 first of all.

What files are you wanting to transfer? Usually you just sign in and it brings down your apps and almost everything....

dugimodo
08-08-2013, 08:06 PM
Just general files, I tend to have random stuff on my phone and sometimes want to duplicate it. I don't upload my photos to google either, dont want to until mobile data rates come down. So transferring those requires another method.
I have turned NFC on, and tried s-beam on and off, also turned NFC and android beam on the nexus. Not too fussed anyway seems like it's just a gimmick that works no better than normal bluetooth pairing - slightly more convenient if you don't own both devices I suppose. Looked cool in the galaxy add, never got it to work in real life except between two S3's.

As I mentioned I suspect the most painless way is just to use USB via a PC.

inphinity
08-08-2013, 08:40 PM
Wifi, bluetooth, NFC. Or copy it all on to a microSD card.. oh, wait, only one of these devices supports useful things :P

Chilling_Silence
09-08-2013, 09:16 AM
Basically the NFC File Transfer is most useful for sending a file such as an image from the Gallery, not individual files, as there's a very high chance your file manager doesn't support it.
Just plug them both in to your PC and use it like a USB Thumbdrive to copy everything from one to the other.

dugimodo
09-08-2013, 09:30 AM
Thanks guys, I'll just stick with using a PC then.
I'm wondering if the wireless charging pad I installed is interfering with NFC, not going to remove it though of the two features it's by far the more useful :) It's a cheap chinese wireless charger from trademe (Linpow) and I really like it. I find the convenience of just plonking the phone down on the pad and it's charging means it's fully charged most of the time when I'm at home

wratterus
09-08-2013, 10:10 AM
So I didn't realize the 7 had NFC, that's cool.