PDA

View Full Version : OpenHost doesn't allow site to have it's own php.ini ... is that correct?

simone3
07-08-2013, 06:47 PM
Hello there,

We're preparing to migrate our site to a new host, and thought that OpenHost suited our requirements.

However, having asked their Sales Helpdesk ... they say the site can't have it's own php.ini file, which seems highly unusual.

But it's possible the Sales person didn't really understand what we were asking, so just thought to check here. So ...

- is anyone here on OpenHost and using their own php.ini ...?
- alternatively, can anyone recommend a NZ-based webhost that permits sites to have their own php.ini ...?

Thanks!

fred_fish
07-08-2013, 07:08 PM
If you are looking at a shared hosting arrangement, then the answer is typically no.
If you get a VPS you can set it up however you want.

simone3
07-08-2013, 07:19 PM
Oh, I see - thanks for that info Fred.

We'd go the VPS route, except we're from a Windows background and know next-to-nothing about Linux, so setting up a VPS would likely be a steep and lengthy learning curve which we'd prefer to avoid just now, as we just want to keep things simple and migrate our site.

But from what you say it looks like we might be stuck with our current host for now, and we'll just have to hunt around and try and find an 'untypical' webhost, that allows php.ini on shared plans.

Thanks!

fred_fish
07-08-2013, 08:03 PM
Probably email openhost and ask about your specific php requirements (don't just say you need to edit php.ini as that won't get you anywhere).
Email is more likely to get to a technical person than phoning the sales desk.

simone3
07-08-2013, 09:02 PM
We did email, but it was to their Sales desk rather than Technical Support. So yes, we might try asking Technical Support instead.

The alternative I suppose would be to use their default php.ini, but I expect we'd have to sign up before we could run phpinfo to look at it, so it would be a Catch-22 if we signed-up only to find it was deficient for our needs! As it is, we use custom naming of php error logs, and define the location of browsap.ini for IP lookups by country (for internal logging purposes), amongst other things, which all require a custom php.ini to work.

Else I guess we'll have to acquire a VPS then get the hang of configuring it correctly before migrating the site, which will probably take weeks ... but there you go.

Anyway, thanks Fred for the suggestions!

inphinity
07-08-2013, 09:45 PM
You could look at a Windows VPS...

simone3
07-08-2013, 10:07 PM
Yes, that would be easier to get to grips with, except our php code is currently littered with calls to Unix!

fred_fish
07-08-2013, 10:42 PM
You can set some php directives in .htaccess files (or in vhost definitions, but you probably don't have access to them either).
Not sure if that will do what you need but it's probably worth looking at.
From memory, openhost uses cpanel, and there may be some settings you can adjust via that, but again, your best bet is asking them directly.

simone3
07-08-2013, 11:07 PM
Good idea Fred, had forgotten about htaccess!

That might be worth checking out. Though I guess whether a workaround would in fact work might depend on settings in the host's core PHP configuration.

Still, worth looking at ... thanks for that suggestion!

Might have to consider hardcoding some of our ini settings in our php as well ... things like max upload size and suchlike.

pctek
08-08-2013, 07:59 AM
Oh, I see - thanks for that info Fred.

We'd go the VPS route, except we're from a Windows background and know next-to-nothing about Linux, so setting up a VPS would likely be a steep and lengthy learning curve which we'd prefer to avoid just now, as we just want to keep things simple and migrate our site.

But from what you say it looks like we might be stuck with our current host for now, and we'll just have to hunt around and try and find an 'untypical' webhost, that allows php.ini on shared plans.

Thanks!
You can't run PHP on a windows server, even with shared hosting it would need to be on a linux shared server.
So, what difference does it make if it's a VPS??

There are certain configuration changes you can have on the shared servers, Himem and so on, that they can do for you, but no, they won't alllow the ini on a shared server.

You could also look at Web Drive plans too - same company as Openhost - there is more allowed on those servers than on Openhosts....

But yes, .htaccess is the method most people use, email or ring tech support, they will give you all the various options...

inphinity
08-08-2013, 09:06 AM
You can't run PHP on a windows server

Yes you absolutely can.

jcr1
08-08-2013, 09:20 AM
What is WAMP?

inphinity
08-08-2013, 09:38 AM
What is WAMP?

Windows, Apache, MySQL and PHP.

You can run PHP with IIS, as well, if that's your preference over Apache.

jcr1
08-08-2013, 09:46 AM
Windows, Apache, MySQL and PHP.

You can run PHP with IIS, as well, if that's your preference over Apache.

I know. Just my 10 cents input.
Must run off now and make a LAMP server.

simone3
08-08-2013, 11:43 AM
Larry here - thanks for the suggestions and ideas guys.
We'll certainly look at the htaccess approach that Fred suggested.

We've already got the development version of the site running on a desktop using XAMPP, which in a sense is a VPS anyway, so I guess setting one up under Linux shouldn't be too scary.

It looks like the way to go is to just acquire a Linux VPS, spend some time getting up to speed with it, then migrate the site when we're comfortable with using it.

A bit more expensive than shared, but at least it'll give us an opportunity to explore implementation options, such as Nginx vs Apache.

Cheers