PDA

View Full Version : Hung screen

06-12-2001, 01:44 PM
On booting up my pc hangs on the desktop and completely freezes is this a virus running win 98 the only prog running on startup is zone alarm explorer systray I am using a spare hard drive to post this message

Ian

06-12-2001, 07:15 PM
If you could tell us a bit more about your computer it may make it easier to find the problem - eg what kind of computer, speed, memory, video card etc.

I had this problem about a year ago when I installed Windows ME - my video card was not capable of running ME (don't ask me why?!) so I had to buy a new one... it did the same thing, everything loaded fine, then all of a sudden it froze and nothing worked, not even moving the mouse.

06-12-2001, 09:26 PM
Are you overclocking your cpu via fsb or memory if so try reseting to standard speed also try adjusting your AGP memory aperture downwards, Pull or the graphics card give it a clean and reinstall graphics drivers and install newer ones if possible , or try going back to older ones .

06-12-2001, 09:26 PM
Are you overclocking your cpu via fsb or memory if so try reseting to standard speed also try adjusting your AGP memory aperture downwards, Pull or the graphics card give it a clean and reinstall graphics drivers and install newer ones if possible , or try going back to older ones .

07-12-2001, 03:58 PM
Thanks

I ended up formating my hdd and will start again on thinking back the day before when i closed a page the screen was blank with no icons and i had to reboot so maybe windows was doing its thing and it finally stopped.

Ian