PDA

View Full Version : Modem Router

Woody
03-08-2013, 07:08 PM
Just bought domestic home security camera system but now need a router to feed it.
I Have a standard T/Com supplied modem which will now be redundant but have never used a router so - I have a few questions for the experts.

1 Wireless or not ?
2 Make / supplier?
3 Set-up how complicated?
4 Security from outside snoopers ?

Probably all basic questions for the experienced but any suggestions / comments would be appreciated.
Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
03-08-2013, 11:00 PM
Is the camera system wireless? Whats the brand / model of this system? If it is, well might as well get a wireless modem/router.

Chilling_Silence
04-08-2013, 10:17 AM
Go for something like the DrayTek DV2760n. If you're using a camera system, you'll likely eventually want to upgrade to VDSL2 for the faster upload speeds ;)
It'll only cost you a little more now, but you're future-proofing yourself.

Easy setup, incredibly reliable, nice and secure :)

Woody
04-08-2013, 10:10 PM
Is the camera system wireless? Whats the brand / model of this system? If it is, well might as well get a wireless modem/router.

System is not wireless but has a tricky method of transferring data to/from various items. Consists of Master with outdoor camera which feeds router and PC; and separate indoor camera with data all linked together through mains wiring (via special device).
Master - Logitech 750e. Additional cameras (I have only one) 700i. This system enables up to 6 additional cameras to be added without any extra cabling - all thru mains.
Can be set up thru Logitech web site to alert PC or phone in event of intrusion.
Thanks for your help Speedy and Chill
Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
04-08-2013, 11:51 PM
Looks pretty easy. Install the software / put the network adapter together, and plug it into a port on a modem,if its got ports, and plug it into power. Connect the other end of the network cable into a camera. Just make sure the cable is long enough and the adapter isnt in a hot place

The manual is here (http://www.logitech.com/assets/32687/gettingstartedwith.pdf)