PDA

View Full Version : Which is preferable IMAP or Pop3 when using email client?

smurf
01-08-2013, 10:46 PM
Not sure which is a better one to use......email client is MS Outlook 2010. Would value opinions and reasons please. Thanks.

fred_fish
01-08-2013, 10:55 PM
Depends what is "best" for you.

How do you want your use your email?
Multiple devices or only on the one machine?
Who is your provider?

Nomad
01-08-2013, 11:00 PM
MS Outlook is esp slow with IMAP. I use MAPI but to do that I use it with Outlook.com. Both IMAP and MAPI does online content sync to the desktop Outlook.

With POP mail, you only retain a copy of the inbox if you choose not to delete off the server, by default it does. And even if you do that, you won't be able to sync your calendar or sent box unless you use MAPI like off your phone or tablet or the 2nd computer.

I am still finding a way how to sync my "To do lists" though calendar, mail works fine for me onto my Android and on Outlook.com.

Nomad
01-08-2013, 11:54 PM
I assume when you mean IMAP you mean Gmail. Outlook.com doesn't do IMAP protocol. Gmail does IMAP or POP.

Since you use Outlook desktop I assume that you like the software.
You won't be able to use your desktop Outlook calendar if you want to sync. So you will be using Outlook desktop for mail, and then Gmail.com for the online calendar off the web browser.
B/c I think that if you haven't already signed up to ActiveSync with Google in the past, you won't be able sync to Google b/c they pulled that free service, now you have pay for it under their business services.

Cato
02-08-2013, 10:58 AM
IMAP is a must these days, with multiple devices and all.

I had to use Outlook 2013 a few months ago, I got a friendly surprise, Plesk was reporting ~350mb IMAP traffic DAILY. Considering my mail folder 3 months later is still under 60mb. :)

Pancake
02-08-2013, 11:18 AM
POP service:
•POP was designed for, and works best in, the situation where you use only a single desktop computer.

•Normally, messages are downloaded to your desktop computer and then deleted from the mail server.

•If you choose to work with your POP mail on more than one machine, you may have trouble with email messages getting downloaded on one machine that you need to work with on another machine; for example, you may need a message at work that was downloaded to your machine at home.

•If you choose the POP option "keep mail on server", your POP "inbox" can grow large and unwieldy, and email operations can become inefficient and time-consuming.

•Your archive of mail, if you have one, is kept on your desktop computer - you generally need little storage space on the mail server.

IMAP service:
•IMAP is designed for the situation where you need to work with your email from multiple computers, such as your workstation at work, your desktop computer at home, or a laptop computer while traveling.

•Messages are displayed on your local computer but are kept and stored on the mail server -you can work with all your mail, old and new, from any computer connected to the internet.

•You can create subfolders on the mail server to organize the mail you want to keep. However, these subfolders, as well as its contents work against your total email quota of 1GB.

Cato
02-08-2013, 11:36 AM
Don't plagiarize, leave a link. :)

Nomad
02-08-2013, 12:09 PM
IMO it's moving to online cloud based computing like IMAP etc.

I am one of the odd ones out for personal emails, I collect them etc LOL. I am not sure what I would do now if it wasn't because of my Tertiary Academic MS Office 2010 that did give you Outlook. AFAIK the normal Office suites do not and haven't done so post 2003. So that means you either buy a standalone Outlook or you get the Office for commercial use.

Google/Android's way is basically webmail, web calender etc.

MS Outlook might be the way with corporate ie - MS Exchange that you sync direct to the corporate network. MAPI is something I use that works with Outlook.com. You can link Outlook desktop with Outlook.com as well like using a hotmail, or a outlook email address. You can also share the calendar and sync and I *think* you can allow Outlook.com to check your ISP email online and when you to send it so it can collate and sync it online.

At a guess Windows Phone probably do MAPI sync with Outlook.com / desktop.

smurf
02-08-2013, 01:28 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys......they have given me something to ponder on :)

pctek
02-08-2013, 03:09 PM
IMAP is a must these days, with multiple devices and all.

Assuming you do email on multiple devices....
As I don't, I stick with POP.

Should I need emails on more than one device I would then switch to IMAP.

pcuser42
02-08-2013, 03:36 PM
At a guess Windows Phone probably do MAPI sync with Outlook.com / desktop.EAS :)It used to use EAS for Gmail as well, but since Google killed it off for new users, it now uses IMAP + CardDev/CalDev.

Nomad
02-08-2013, 08:22 PM
Assuming you do email on multiple devices....
As I don't, I stick with POP.

Should I need emails on more than one device I would then switch to IMAP.

^2x.

I have set up MAPI but I don't yet use my Outlook email addy. I have linked my Outlook calendar on the PC to Outlook online so I get it on my phone to remind me etc.

Honestly I don't do that much emails now since we have IM/chat apps and when I am away I have not really needed them. I am still using my ISP email which is a old one on dialup now but I have not logged on. If they do a revamp and kick out inactive customers then from afresh I may start using my Outlook email and since it has the ability use MAPI and sync, never know, might be handy on the occasion ..

gary67
02-08-2013, 08:22 PM
IMAP is a PITA. I use POP on my main computer and leave a copy in my Gmail online account until dealt with, then they get deleted from Gmail and only kept on my desktop Outlook. I sync my Outlook calendar with my Gmail one

Nomad
02-08-2013, 09:58 PM
calendar? thought Google canned the free service or did you get it before they decided on that. .

Robin S_
02-08-2013, 10:06 PM
If you don't need the IMAP features I suggest go with POP. A pain with IMAP is that it doesn't have auto delete, so you have to go to your IMAP account periodically and manually delete what you don't want. With POP you can set your client to delete from the server after a user-selected period (that's the way it works with Eudora client, anyway).

gary67
03-08-2013, 09:05 AM
calendar? thought Google canned the free service or did you get it before they decided on that. .

If you have a gmail account it also has a calendar, well all the ones I know have

Jen
03-08-2013, 09:41 AM
If you have a gmail account it also has a calendar, well all the ones I know haveIt is separate to the Gmail application, but you log in using your normal Gmail account details: https://www.google.com/calendar

Nomad
03-08-2013, 09:52 AM
I know that but how did u sync outlook calender with Google calendar thought was canned by Google unless one signed up before

gary67
03-08-2013, 09:47 PM
Try this here (http://sync2.com/share-outlook-and-google-calendar-sync.aspx?pcode=80731046729wwnf&gclid=CLTkgNjx4LgCFcdYpQodyiUAZw)

I didn't know Googles one had finished as its what I use

Chikara
03-08-2013, 09:52 PM
I know that but how did u sync outlook calender with Google calendar thought was canned by Google unless one signed up before

Google Calender sync used to do this until they stopped making it available for download, and stopped supporting it.
But, it still works perfectly for me (Using Win 7 64 bit, with Outlook 2013). I have 2-way sync, so any appointment made using Outlook auto copies to my Android device, and vice-versa.

Perhaps if you can find the install file (it's still on the net, just avoid dodgy sites) it will still work as a new install? Or does Google stop it working for new installs and only support it still for existing installs, does anyone know??

Nomad
03-08-2013, 09:56 PM
I am not a Google calender user ... it's been my knowledge ...
http://www.imore.com/google-dropping-activesync-support-gmail-forcing-new-connection-go-through-their-shoddy-imap-service