PDA

View Full Version : Why is Windows 7 so expensive?

Nerdtastic
31-07-2013, 08:43 PM
Hi,
I was looking for Windows 7 on the link below and was wondering...

WHY IS IT SO EXPENSIVE??? :horrified

Even for the OEM version it is still $150
Is there anywhere where I can get it cheaper?
http://pricespy.co.nz/category.php?k=736#rparams=l=s135366735

Thanks

BTW: Looking for an inexpensive IDE to SATA adaptor just for an optical drive. Which one of these do I need/want?
http://pricespy.co.nz/category.php?l=s135377863&o=produkt_pris_inkmoms#prodlista

pcuser42
31-07-2013, 08:46 PM
If you're a computer science student you can get it for free ;)

Nerdtastic
31-07-2013, 08:54 PM
Nope, does it apply if you are doing digital tech at high school? :D

pcuser42
31-07-2013, 09:07 PM
Nope, does it apply if you are doing digital tech at high school? :D

I don't think so :p

Nerdtastic
31-07-2013, 09:34 PM
I don't think so :p

:angry

inphinity
31-07-2013, 09:37 PM
Win7 is far cheaper than earlier versions of Windows were.. seems quite well-priced to me :P

Speedy Gonzales
31-07-2013, 09:47 PM
Might as well get Win8 32/64 bit from Pbtech. Its $148.35

Nerdtastic
31-07-2013, 09:50 PM

I have a big thing against Win8. Is it slowly getting better with updates?

Speedy Gonzales
31-07-2013, 09:55 PM
Nope. Might depend on the specs of the system. But it's fine with 8 GB ram. I had to go back to using metro tho, since classicshell kept crashing. I might leave it off till 8.1. Or reinstall version 4, when its out

To save me going to the charms bar / whatever it is, to restart / shutdown, I created shortcuts and pinned them to the taskbar :p

Ninjabear
31-07-2013, 10:55 PM
$150 is cheap

CYaBro
31-07-2013, 11:09 PM
$150 is cheap

Not really when you can buy OS X Mountain Lion from Apple for $24.99. :D

wainuitech
31-07-2013, 11:24 PM
Not really when you can buy OS X Mountain Lion from Apple for $24.99. :D Thats about the ONLY thing thats cheap with Apple :p :lol:

Nerdtastic
01-08-2013, 07:53 AM
You read my mind! I was planning to install windows 7 for now then when Mavericks comes out (Mavericks hopefully will have native Haswell support),
run a dual boot Hackintosh. :D

Nerdtastic
01-08-2013, 07:56 AM
So now the question is, Windows 7 or Windows 8?

linw
01-08-2013, 09:26 AM
Win 8, without a doubt.

pcuser42
01-08-2013, 09:31 AM
Windows 8.

Alex B
01-08-2013, 09:33 AM
Not really when you can buy OS X Mountain Lion from Apple for $24.99. :D

Yeah but it's a bit different there, as the OS is complementing hardware you have purchased from Apple. Not likely to be the case with MS.

Nerdtastic
01-08-2013, 09:46 AM
Any specific reasons over win7? Not too keen on metro though :groan:

01-08-2013, 10:02 AM
Not too keen on metro though :groan:

Then get Win7
at least you'll still have the start menu button thing & one click shutdown
Win7 is alot easier to navigate around when setting up/making changes

Win8 starts up a bit faster, but still takes time to load up all the added startups: printer software, AV, etc etc etc

Win7 OEM is cheap.

pcuser42
01-08-2013, 10:12 AM
Not too keen on metro though :groan:Then don't use it. ;)

dugimodo
01-08-2013, 11:38 AM
I agree windows is expensive, I think the full retail version should cost about $100 myself and the OEM less than that. As a bonus the cheaper it is the less likely piracy becomes.

Consider this;
A blank CD/ DVD costs the manufacturers a few cents
A software/ OS release takes a team of professional programmers maybe several years of work to produce.
For the "cheap Version MS wants $150 +

A Music CD takes a Band and a team of sound engineers from a few months to a year or more to complete
An Album costs $10-$40

A Movie takes a crew of hundreds, costs millions to make and takes up to several years to complete
A DVD costs $20-$60 (although to be fair that's ignoring the theatre revenue)

All 3 products have similar cost to manufacture and distribute once the product is created.
We live in a world where products are not sold for what they cost plus a reasonable profit margin, instead market researchers decide what people will be willing to pay and set a price for maximum profit levels. In annoys me quite a lot.

01-08-2013, 12:38 PM
All 3 products have similar cost to manufacture and distribute once the product is created.
We live in a world where products are not sold for what they cost plus a reasonable profit margin, instead market researchers decide what people will be willing to pay and set a price for maximum profit levels. In annoys me quite a lot.

No complaints when something is very cheap, nobody says " hey , I should pay 10x this price so those Asian Workers can earn as much as me, earn a reasonably wage & put their kids back in school instead of the factories.
What about your shoes, your iphone, your car, your clothes, these were all made using the cheapest possible labour . So are you part of the problem buy buying these cheap goods. A bit of hypocrisy ?

What a load of hippy BS. You are saying that MS shouldnt sell THEIR PRODUCT for however much they decide ??
What say we come along & decide how much you should get paid in wages, we'll compare it to the Worldwide average wage & base it on that, how is that different ?
Do you not try & maximise your wages: ie your personal 'profit'

But yes, I'd GUESS that they sell it for as much as they think they can get away with. Thats how the world (ie people) works
If it wasnt profitable there would be no Win7 or Win8. Think its too expensive, then dont buy it , use Linux instead .

Comparing to the cost to that of a CD .... totally irrelevant, may as well compare it to the cost of a humburger .
What it costs to stamp onto a disk & distribute is irrelevant
No one here knows what it truley cost MS to develop MS Windows, therefore no one here can say what it should sell for or what is reasonable.

Nerdtastic
01-08-2013, 01:24 PM
Think its too expensive, then dont buy it , use Linux instead .

There might be reasons behind getting windows :)

Nerdtastic
01-08-2013, 01:27 PM

I can't seem to find it. Only OEM.
Are you talking about Retail?

Speedy Gonzales
01-08-2013, 02:29 PM
This (http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=OSYMST3680&name=Microsoft--Windows-Professional-8-32-bit64-bit-Eng). Even tho it says upgrade you can do a clean install with it

Well, I did, it didnt ask for a previous version of anything. That's what I'm using now. Well it says the same thing (3UR-00006) on the card the key is on

dugimodo
01-08-2013, 02:30 PM
So are you part of the problem buy buying these cheap goods. A bit of hypocrisy ?

What a load of hippy BS. You are saying that MS shouldnt sell THEIR PRODUCT for however much they decide ??

Geez, chill out. Personal attacks for a difference of opinion are unnecessary.

Yes I am saying MS shouldn't do that, costs + a fair profit margin is what I advocate. Same goes for the cheap products, no hypocrisy here at all - they should also sell their products the same way, and I agree they should pay their staff more which yes would mean I'd pay more for the products I end up buying. I'm fine with that. I want prices to be fair, and I don't consider whatever price the market will stand as fair. Yes a lot of things would cost more, and a great deal would also cost less.

No I don't know exactly what windows costs to produce , but I know they could afford to sell it for a lot less than they do and I think the comparison to music & movies is reasonable - all take a large investment of time and money by a large team to produce and are distributed on similar media at similar costs. I'd say people like yourself supporting rampant profiteering by large corporations are part of the problem also. Once MS have made back the cost of their investment and a product is then costing them a few dollars at most to produce do they start selling it cheap? hell no they continue milking it at full price for as long as they possibly can, then release a new version so they can continue the cycle. Smart business people but is it ethical ?

Does office cost many times more than windows to produce ? I seriously doubt it but MS charge that much for the full corporate version - why because companies can afford to pay it. It's no secret the profits from Windows and Office are the largest part of MS's business. Our IT department is very tight on handing out Visio for our staff for example - because there is close to a $1K per PC license fee. Is that fair - I don't think so.

Who decides what makes an OEM version worth half the price as a retail version? Same product, same plastic disk, same experience once loaded, does the MS support on the retail version really justify the price difference? do they not make a profit on the cheaper version? Do they actually sell many copies at full retail? (not to me they don't).

This has nothing to do with anyone's wages - I'm not suggesting anything to do with personal wages. I'm purely talking about fair retail pricing. Most of the time competition sorts it out, if someone is selling something at a ridiculous margin another supplier will undercut them and so on until the price settles at a point closer to what's reasonable. Some products however that doesn't happen - nobody else can sell windows and other OS's are only a partial alternative depending on what you do. MS enjoys a captive market and they take full advantage of it. If you like that then good for you, I don't really.

Speedy Gonzales
01-08-2013, 02:34 PM
Sounds like a post that was on the Neowin site the other day / last week. They were saying oz were paying 66% more for MS products than anywhere else. Obviously they've never heard of or been here

Ninjabear
01-08-2013, 03:56 PM
Thats about the ONLY thing thats cheap with Apple :p :lol:

lol that's so true

Nerdtastic
01-08-2013, 04:23 PM
Sounds like a post that was on the Neowin site the other day / last week. They were saying oz were paying 66% more for MS products than anywhere else. Obviously they've never heard of or been here

I also heard this. The Aussie gov has gathered the big players (Apple, MS, Adobe, etc) for a talking to concerning prices.

http://m.theaustralian.com.au/australian-it/it-business/it-giants-are-price-gouging-in-australia/story-e6frganx-1226687779404

I think I have an OEM copy of XP lying around. Would it be cheaper to get the upgrade version?

Speedy Gonzales
01-08-2013, 04:40 PM
That was the upgrade version I posted. Like I said, even tho its an upgrade I did a clean install. And it installed fine. I didnt have to install a previous version of Windows to install it.

And if you do install XP (since it's 32 bit), and you want to install 64 bit I think you have to do a clean install anyway.

Since, I dont think you can upgrade from 32 to 64 bit. Due to the differences between 32 and 64 bit. And if thats what you're going to have (under coming soon in your sig), you wont be able to use 8 GB with 32 bit windows. You'll have to buy 64 bit (which comes in the link I posted). it includes the 32 and 64 bit DVD

Nerdtastic
01-08-2013, 04:59 PM
I was always going to do a clean install. Just in case it does want some kind of earlier version I can just use that.

Is using an upgrade disk for a complete fresh install ILLEGAL?

Alex B
01-08-2013, 05:15 PM
You're not licensed to do it unless you have a previous version of Windows on the PC, correct.

Speedy Gonzales
01-08-2013, 05:16 PM
Pass it installed (without a previous version) so I dont care if it is or it isnt. The install didnt say I needed a previous version, and it didnt stop me from installing it / doing a clean install

Nerdtastic
01-08-2013, 05:27 PM
Looking around, it seems that it works without a hitch for some and not for others. Though saying that there are a few CMD commands that you can use to get around it.
Would it just be easier to get an OEM version of either 7 or 8? Is it better to future proof with 8?

Alex B
01-08-2013, 05:31 PM
Might as well just torrent it then, it's the same thing at the end of the day.

Nerdtastic
01-08-2013, 06:01 PM
Might as well just torrent it then, it's the same thing at the end of the day.

I'm questioning my morals :devil.
Would it cause any problems down the track?

wainuitech
01-08-2013, 07:03 PM
Stay away from torrents - often some have a little "extra" added in, they are often altered versions and will cause troubles.

Though saying that there are a few CMD commands that you can use to get around it. You need to change one reg entry from a 1 - 0. This relates to the activation regarding looking for a previous version. The other CMD is rearming the the OS. slmgr /rearm

Nerdtastic
01-08-2013, 09:57 PM
Stay away from torrents - often some have a little "extra" added in, they are often altered versions and will cause troubles.

You need to change one reg entry from a 1 - 0. This relates to the activation regarding looking for a previous version. The other CMD is rearming the the OS. slmgr /rearm

That's the one. Is it illegal to do this without a previous version of windows? (I didn't actually pay for it, I got the PC with the disk and product code fro a friend.)

wainuitech
01-08-2013, 10:10 PM
Some say yes some say no. Read http://windows.microsoft.com/en-NZ/windows-8/terms-conditions Notice the last few words
Windows 8 Consumer Preview, or Windows 8 Release Preview. Both of which were free, and can be installed on a blank HDD, no previous OS required.

Confused :confused:

Upgrades can be installed from fresh as its been mentioned. Had to do a few when MS had the cheap offer, as the original OS's were either corrupted, or the person wanted to take advantage and upgrade the HDD at the same time. Some required the reg alteration afterwards, some didn't.

Nerdtastic
01-08-2013, 10:10 PM
I didn't pay for XP I mean :)

Nerdtastic
01-08-2013, 10:31 PM
So the upgrade version is basically a cheaper version of OEM?

Probably going to get this because it's a lot cheaper and it's the 'Professional' edition.
http://www.alphacity.co.nz/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=501_255&products_id=113510

Thanks for all the responses everyone!

fred_fish
01-08-2013, 10:50 PM
Does office cost many times more than windows to produce ? I seriously doubt it but MS charge that much for the full corporate version - why because companies can afford to pay it. It's no secret the profits from Windows and Office are the largest part of MS's business.
Interesting opinion piece on Microsoft's direction here.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/07/29/microsoft_might_yet_win/

Milk the market dry

From one perspective, Google has already won: the endpoint is a commodity. Microsoft is aware of this and they have demonstrated no interest in trying to reverse this trend. The strategy instead seems to be pragmatic: suck every last possible dollar out of the market before they finally give up. Bad for end users and certainly something that makes many of us quite angry ;)