PDA

View Full Version : PCI-e SSD vs SATA SSD ??

Geek4414
30-07-2013, 09:55 PM
Anyone know the potential performance difference between a PCI-e SSD vs a SATA SSD? Specifically the difference between the Sony Vaio Pro 11" vs the Vaio Pro 13". Is the performance gain worth the trade off in additional size/weight?

Seriously considering buying the Vaio Pro 11" for its size, but not sure if the Vaio Pro 13's PCI-e SSD would make much difference.

Good old NZ and Australia only has the non-upgradable model with 4GB of RAM. As I need to run multiple VM from time to time, might have to order one from Sony USA as they can config with 8GB and 256GB SSD for the Vaio Pro 11 or up to 512GB SSD for the Vaio Pro 13. Has anyone bought anything from Sony USA before, is there any potential issues? Have just signed up for YouShop with NZ Post, so shipping address sorted (I hope).

inphinity
30-07-2013, 10:32 PM
There is a significant difference between a high-end SATA SSD and a high-end PCIe SSD. Whether there is in the specific models Sony use, I don't know. But that said, for most users, the difference is not noticable.

Nerdtastic
31-07-2013, 10:04 AM
Tell me if I'm wrong, but PCI-E SSD have considerably more bandwidth so are therefore a lot faster.

Not sure if this just applies to desktops only though because PCI-E SSD's are VERY expensive compared to sata drives.

SolMiester
31-07-2013, 10:35 AM
Loads of difference

http://anandtech.com/bench/product/792?vs=430

Geek4414
31-07-2013, 11:15 AM
Thanks all for the info. I have read a bit about the bandwidth differences between SATA and PCI-e.

Interesting to see the huge differences between the Samsung 840 and OCZ. However I think the 840 was meant to be a bit average, the 840Pro was substantially faster even though both are SATA.

The VAIO Pro13 is USD $1775 vs USD $1675 for the Pro 11 with same size 256GB SSD and 8GB and sheet battery.

The Pro 13 does have 512GB version for $450 more.

It really is down to real world performance differences between the two with the same size 256GB SSD.

The Pro11 is incredibly tiny, virtually no diff to taking a tablet around. Even with the sheet battery added (14 hours battery life!!), its still lighter than the MBA. Thats the main appeal to it, the Pro13 is not bulky by any means but certainly not as compact to carry everywhere in my back pack.

Nerdtastic
31-07-2013, 11:21 AM
11'' is pretty small.
What will you be using it for?

Slankydudl
31-07-2013, 11:47 AM
if your going to get a pro11 why not get a ramdisk.... more speed than you will ever need.

Geek4414
31-07-2013, 12:18 PM
11'' is pretty small.
What will you be using it for?

I had a Vaio TZ 11" before and used to the small screen, and loved the portability, especially when travelling through Europe. The 11" TZ only had 1336 x 768 res, so text is still going to be bigger than this VAIO Pro 11 with full HD resolution (1920 x 1080). This might be a challenge to some, but my eye sight is still ok for now! And I always have tiny text on all my PCs anyway, so I can have as much displayed at once as possible, especially with large Excel spreadsheet. I will probably go and have a another look at a display one at JBHIFi (am in Australia at the moment, don't think they are on display in NZ yet) before I decide.

At home/office, it will be connected to a 24" monitor, so the screen size isn't really an issue for me, portability is. I need my laptop with me pretty much 24/7. Currently carrying a VAIO Z1 13" with me in my backpack, it's 1.4Kg, so not huge but does notice the weight, especially along with other gadgets etc. I have been using my VAIO Z1 pretty much as my main machine, the desktop is hardly switched on, only use it when I need the dual screens and doing some mass CD/DVD burning. Typical cases are big Excel spreadsheets, concurrent RDP sessions to multiple systems, multiple VMs, Photoshop, and email, browsing (20+ Tabs/windows opened) etc. And usually all of these at all once (LOL), so the measly 4GB of RAM with NZ/Aus models are too restrictive, really need 8GB. I have no idea why Sony only let USA has that option, even their UK and HK web site only has 4GB option!

Geek4414
31-07-2013, 12:27 PM
if your going to get a pro11 why not get a ramdisk.... more speed than you will ever need.

Well, I need all the RAM I have for opening tons of stuff all at once. LOL

I have a 32GB SD and 16GB MS cards permanently in my current VAIO Z1. Using them to store working files to avoid wearing out and filling up the Quad-RAID0 SSD. Guess how much it cost to replace that proprietary SSD .... NZ$1900+ !!! Had to replace one for my client recently and thank goodness that Sony and the local distributor agreed to replace it for nothing even though it is 2 years old and out of warranty!

Learnt the hard way recently with a few ultrabook about the next to impossible task of data recovery from SSDs, so anything important immediately get copied to the SD card, so if something happens to the laptop/ssd, I can just take the SD card and work from another computer, no need to sweat over data recovery if the laptop/ssd need to be sent away for repair.

inphinity
31-07-2013, 12:36 PM
Learnt the hard way recently with a few ultrabook about the next to impossible task of data recovery from SSDs, so anything important immediately get copied to the SD card, so if something happens to the laptop/ssd, I can just take the SD card and work from another computer, no need to sweat over data recovery if the laptop/ssd need to be sent away for repair.

Data recovery? Don't you mean, restore from your regular backups? ;)

Geek4414
31-07-2013, 12:55 PM
Yes, and in this case, the backup saved our bacon! It was a full system image, as even the recovery partition was corrupted due to the RAID0 striping! Anyway, another client had no backup and the ultrabook had to be sent away for repair (won't even power up), so can't get any data out of it before sending it away!

dugimodo
31-07-2013, 01:59 PM
IMHO these "huge" differences are mostly theoretical and only show up on benchmarks. In the real world the way most people use computers I'd describe the performance difference as "very difficult to notice"
Many reviews I've read have pointed out the difference between a mechanical hdd and an ssd is very obvious and immediately beneficial but that the difference between a fast new SSD and an older "slow" one is much smaller by comparison.

If you are using applications that can take advantage of the speed difference there may be a case to be made for the fastest SSD available. If you just want your PC to boot up, shut down, and launch programs quickly almost any current SSD will give a near identical experience and I'd venture capacity and reliability are more important than max speed.

Geek4414
31-07-2013, 02:43 PM
IMHO these "huge" differences are mostly theoretical and only show up on benchmarks. In the real world the way most people use computers I'd describe the performance difference as "very difficult to notice"
Many reviews I've read have pointed out the difference between a mechanical hdd and an ssd is very obvious and immediately beneficial but that the difference between a fast new SSD and an older "slow" one is much smaller by comparison.

If you are using applications that can take advantage of the speed difference there may be a case to be made for the fastest SSD available. If you just want your PC to boot up, shut down, and launch programs quickly almost any current SSD will give a near identical experience and I'd venture capacity and reliability are more important than max speed.

I agree, that's why I am hoping for someone with real world experience between the two type of SSDs. I am very keen to go the Pro 11, but really have to go check out the screen again to see if it is too small or not. The PCI-e SSD would just be another reason for me to consider the Pro 13 vs the Pro 11. With 8GB of RAM, hopefully Windows should try to fill the RAM with things it thinks we need anyway instead of having to access the drive all the time.

dugimodo
31-07-2013, 02:55 PM
Well I haven't tried a PCI-E SSD but I have switched from a intel 320 120Gb 3Gbps SSD to a Samsung 830 series 6Gbps 256Gb SSD and I can tell you what difference I noticed between them. (yes I have the appropriate SATA port for the samsung)

Noticable differences;
The new one is twice the size, the end.

According to benchmarks my Samsung blows away my old intel, I can even prove it myself at home with benchamrking software. But never do I actually see that speed benefitting me in the real world. Having room to install more software is nice though, meaning more things load really fast.

Geek4414
31-07-2013, 02:59 PM
Well I haven't tried a PCI-E SSD but I have switched from a intel 320 120Gb 3Gbps SSD to a Samsung 830 series 6Gbps 256Gb SSD and I can tell you what difference I noticed between them. (yes I have the appropriate SATA port for the samsung)

Noticable differences;
The new one is twice the size, the end.

According to benchmarks my Samsung blows away my old intel, I can even prove it myself at home with benchamrking software. But never do I actually see that speed benefitting me in the real world. Having room to install more software is nice though, meaning more things load really fast.

Thanks Dugimodo, good to hear the real world experience!

inphinity
31-07-2013, 03:15 PM
I agree, that's why I am hoping for someone with real world experience between the two type of SSDs. I am very keen to go the Pro 11, but really have to go check out the screen again to see if it is too small or not. The PCI-e SSD would just be another reason for me to consider the Pro 13 vs the Pro 11. With 8GB of RAM, hopefully Windows should try to fill the RAM with things it thinks we need anyway instead of having to access the drive all the time.

As per my original reply, the noticeable difference for most users is negligible. You'd have to be frequently dealing with massive sequential file copies or extreme IO requirements for it to make a significant difference.

Geek4414
31-07-2013, 03:55 PM
As per my original reply, the noticeable difference for most users is negligible. You'd have to be frequently dealing with massive sequential file copies or extreme IO requirements for it to make a significant difference.

Yes, thanks for your reply too, Inphinity ;-)