PDA

View Full Version : Powerline adaptor brands

30-07-2013, 04:27 PM
Hi guys.

What are good Brands of Powerline wifi adaptor kits , that work reliably, out of the box ??

I know of Dlink , but Dlink's reputation is a bit tainted these days
TPlink : any success with these ??
Linksys perhaps ?

I used Netcom in the past, but they now are too cheap to include the setup CD **thats needed to change wifi ssid & pass etc**
I think if they dont want to put in the CD , so I can actually setup onsite, Id like to change brands.

Cheers

inphinity
30-07-2013, 04:35 PM
TPLink's products, including their powerline adapters, are actually pretty good for a home user environment. I've used one set of their powerline adapters and works fine. Was just a 2-pack, was about $95 iirc, wasn't wifi.

wainuitech
30-07-2013, 04:59 PM
With Netcomm's - The reason they dont include the CD is because its not needed. Set up a few extenders and adapters in the past, you simply plug in a laptop ( or something similar) into the Ethernet port, open a Browser, and usually it auto detects it, (if it doesn't then type in the default address -- From memory- 192.168.20.1 ) and open the configuration page and you change the settings as required, then unplug the Ethernet cable. :)

30-07-2013, 05:33 PM
With Netcomm's - The reason they dont include the CD is because its not needed. Set up a few extenders and adapters in the past, you simply plug in a laptop ( or something similar) into the Ethernet port, open a Browser, and usually it auto detects it, (if it doesn't then type in the default address -- From memory- 192.168.20.1 ) and open the configuration page and you change the settings as required, then unplug the Ethernet cable. :)

Not according to the online how-to PDF's from netcomm, for the one I just tried. How to pdf says download the setup utility.
That download failed every time .... Arrrgh , Then my laptops batt started to die :badpc::badpc:
Once I had the utilty its very easy to setup, but come on, include a bl***dy CD please, especially when the online help says you use a program to configure it.
There is no reason NOT to include a CD, extra cost of what, 50cents ?? The doc with it was useless .

It would work as is, out of the box, but with some god awefull wifi password & a SSID that needed to be changed.
No mention anywhere of a default IP that I could find . The included 3 page doc was worthless.

The setup for these things may have changed somewhat. Ive used a browser to configure previous models.

wainuitech
30-07-2013, 05:43 PM
Last one I setup about a month ago ( it was an extender) I used my laptop to set it up. Never could get the damn things to auto sync either.

Maybe they have changed it lately ?? BUT saying that, simply have a laptop (with a good charge :p ) with the software pre-installed and take that along to setup on site.

Personally I rarely use the supplied programs to configure routers, extenders etc, most have some sort of "lets make it awkward and not work" settings ;)

Failing that all it takes is one simple download of the software, stored on a USB drive thats taken along with you. Then install it on the persons Computer - no real big task, and saves having to download each time.

Chilling_Silence
31-07-2013, 05:36 PM
Yeah I'm a fan of the TP-Links :) Cheap and work well.