PDA

View Full Version : Network/ Router setup help, N55U

dugimodo
23-07-2013, 08:07 PM
I'm trying to configure my old ADSL2+ router (Asus N55U) to work in "Dual WAN" mode but I can't figure it out. networking is not my strong point by a long shot.

I have a new technicolor VDSL modem/router and that's working ok, I want to connect my N55U to one of the LAN ports and use it for it's superior Wi-Fi / Routing capabilities but I don't know what settings to use and the GUI is confusing.
I've set it into dual WAN mode, set LAN port 4 as a primary WAN port instead of DSL, tried changing it's LAN IP to 192.168.2.1 and it's DHCP range to 192.168.2.2 - 254 to avoid it conflicting with the technicolor DHCP and I get no Internet connectivity through it. I can see it's connected and assigned an IP by the other router (192.168.1.69). I just don't know how to do this. Anyone set one of these up like this? I suspect the Asus terminology is non standard which is adding to my confusion.

inphinity
23-07-2013, 10:26 PM
Ok, so, I assume you're running firmware 3.0.0.5.364? So, go to WAN on the left hand menu and on the 'Dual WAN' tab, you want Dual WAN enabled, Primary WAN set to LAN, and then whichever port, in your case 4. Multi WAN mode should be Failover. Then, once you save those changes, on the Internet Connection tab (still under WAN on the left menu), you want WAN Type: LAN, WAN Connection Type: Automatic IP, and Enable WAN/NAT/UPNP all Enabled, as well as Connect to DNS Automatically. Authentication None, the next two fields blank, and the DHCP Frequency Normal. Save those settings, reboot the device, and you should be good to go. You probably want to set the TG589 to forward all traffic to your N55U (essentially creating a DMZ). This is under Home Network -> select your N55U on the stupid list (it should be hanging off Port 4 in your case) and choose Assign Public IP to Device. You may need to reboot both devices at this point, depending what your existing settings were. Afterwards, your N55U should show your public IP as it's WAN DHCP allocated address and joy.

dugimodo
23-07-2013, 11:05 PM
I'll go through that and see how I go thanks. It looks pretty much like what I've already tried but maybe I missed some of it.

inphinity
24-07-2013, 03:27 PM
Lobster did a pretty good guide at GeekZone here (http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=66&topicid=126933) for configuring the TG589 as a bridge with the N55U handling PPPoE.

dugimodo
25-07-2013, 07:51 PM
Thanks Inphinity, that sorted it out and all go now. I wasn't sure if it was worth it TBH because everything was working ok with just the technicolor (which is grey BTW, WTF) but saw 2 immediate improvements, 1st the Wi-Fi to my S3 now speedtests at 22Mbps as opposed to approx 13Mbps on the telecom one. 2nd, and I'm not sure if this is the router or just time of day, but I just got a speedtest on my PC of 32Mbps - the highest I ever saw before was 27 with the same synch speed.

couple more questions if I may;
1. Can the modem in bridge mode be used for internet access via it's other ports/wi-fi while in bridge mode? I assume not
2. I changed my IP address to 192.168.2.1 manually and configured the DHCP to use that address range as well, was the DHCP change needed? Lobster didn't mention that in his guide.
3. I've turned off the Wi-Fi on the techni in the hopes that it'll run cooler and more reliably, any thoughts on that? (not that it's given me a problem so far)