PDA

View Full Version : HP Printer Problem

bk T
23-07-2013, 10:58 AM
Morning, all.

Have been using this printer, HP Officejet 6310 All-in-one for few years now; and it's working great untill recently.

The other day, when I was printing a document with some colour contents, the black portion is perfect but the colour portion is far from OK. First thought was, the tri-colour ink cartridge is running low, but I just changed it about 3 weeks ago and we hardly print any colour pages. Launched the HP Solution cneter software to check the ink status and confirmed that the tri-colour cartridge is almost 80% full.

I have removed the tri-colour ink cartridge and re-inserted it without joy.

My questions:

1. From the above symptoms, the problem could be with the ink cartridge or the printer itself?
2. Is it worth buying a new cartridge to try out? It's about ~$30-$40

Your suggestions, please.

Thanks.

SolMiester
23-07-2013, 12:06 PM
Do you leave the printer turned on all the time?, I have been told to turn inkjet printers off when not in use as the ink drys out from the heat of the printer.....Is the problem banding of colour?....do you have any software tools where you can clean heads etc...calibrate the colours etc

23-07-2013, 02:06 PM
The description of the how the print was "is far from OK' is too vauge.
Just what is the issue?? smudged, lines missing, color washed out or too light, not aligned ??

Are these genuine HP carts, not remanned , generic or refilled. Double check this.

HP inkjets used to have the head built into the actual cartridge, I assume thats still the case with HP's
So that new ink cart will give you a new printhead (??) , it should just work perfectly. If not, take it back to the shop with some test prints as proof.
Try the head cleaning utility, either in the software or on the actually printers tools/ultilty menu

Only other option is to try a new cart , no way around it.

23-07-2013, 02:17 PM
or try soaking the head in acetone, meths etc . Last resort only of course :-)

bk T
23-07-2013, 03:16 PM
Sorry for not making myself clear enough.

Colour print results are 'washed out' or most colours either not showing or too light or faded. The test print does not show the red at all, only a mixture of light green and light yellow.

It's genuine HP cartridge #93

The HP solution center has the 'head-cleaning' utility and I did it last night with no improvement.

If the print head is built into the cartridge, I would get another one but if it's not, then I'm wasting my money. Hard decisdion.

pctek
23-07-2013, 05:32 PM
Colour print results are 'washed out' or most colours either not showing or too light or faded. The test print does not show the red at all, only a mixture of light green and light yellow.

If the print head is built into the cartridge, I would get another one but if it's not, then I'm wasting my money. Hard decisdion.
You could give it a go with a new cartridge, but if you say you've had the printer for ages, then it probably is the printer itself.

They're designed to be disposable these days.

23-07-2013, 05:41 PM

Pull the cart out & have a look, its fairly obvious if the head is built in. It'll have some electrical contact points on the cart & the heads at the bottom.
Did this cart ever work properly ??

bk T
23-07-2013, 06:23 PM
... but if you say you've had the printer for ages, then it probably is the printer itself.

They're designed to be disposable these days.

Yes. I do realise how cheap printers are nowadays. I have this printer for 3+ years and it has been working real great other than recent problem.

Pull the cart out & have a look, its fairly obvious if the head is built in. It'll have some electrical contact points on the cart & the heads at the bottom.
Did this cart ever work properly ??

Electrical contacts? -- those golden-colour like thingie? If so, yes, it is.

This cart certainly worked properly before.