PDA

View Full Version : Pretty hot CPU or what?

06-12-2001, 12:01 AM
Hi, i just have installed a Volcano 6CU+ cooler to my Thunderbird 1.4ghz CPU, and the CPU is running at 53degrees Celcius..... Is this a safe temperature for a CPU to run at?

please let me know

06-12-2001, 12:18 AM
Seems a bit hot to me. I'm sure it should be running cooler (eg between 30 and 40) but I don't know about these faster CPUs, maybe they run a bit hotter. I never recorded my 700 running hotter than 28degrees... I'm not sure what mine runs at now (maybe I should find out!)

06-12-2001, 01:41 AM
Mate, not intending to cause panic, but now might be a good time to turn your computer off! With a Volcano 6CU+ you should be in the thirties!!! My cpu is around that temp, but it is a 1.333 overclocked to 1.65... I would suspect that you don't have enough thermal paste (goopy stuff that goes between the CPU and the bottom of the heatsink). You should hook yourself up with a tube of arctic silver 2, clear off the old stuff, and put a blob about the size of a grain of rice on the CPU die, spread it round and put the HSF back on again. The other possibilties for such a high temperature are a lack of exhaust. If there is not enough air flowing through the case then the temperature will rise. Check to see that the fan in the PSU is working properly, and that there is plenty of space for the air to get in. Note that the intake point is only effective if it allows air to flow over the source of heat (CPU). For example if you have an intake right next to the output, it is a waste of time. If your PSU fan is going well, and the air flow is uninhibited and useful, try installing another output fan. But again, there is a catch, be careful that the new output fan is not competeing too much with the output in the PSU. What I mean is that if you have a huge output fan and a slightly restriced input, the new output fan will try to suck air IN through the PSU fan, thus decreasing it's flow, and causing the PSU to overheat and blow up!!! That can be messy... Where did you get your system from? A friend of mine had a PC from The PC Company with a CPU temp similar to yours. IF it is from the PC Company, all you have to do is pull it apart completely, and then stick it back together properly... The PC Company have absolutely no idea about thermal design.

Phew, long post... Hope it helps!!

06-12-2001, 10:56 AM
no need to panic your cpu is no where near fry temp. however it is very hot considering the cooler. one thing to remember is the thermal sensors are not always accurate. ask around it may be your motherboard not reading correctly. check the thermal design as erin suggests. don't forget the room temp plays a factor.

also shims come in handy when dealing with big heatsinks but you have to check the cpu is conntacting the core. many cpu's have fried due to an incorrectly sized shim.

06-12-2001, 07:28 PM
AMD claims that 90 degrees (C) is safe, but I somehow doubt it is that temperature resistant. My 1.2 runs at 52 under full load, and seems just happy. I've seen one running at 68, so I don't think you're in the frying pan just yet.

06-12-2001, 10:06 PM
Hi Erin
What is arctic silver2 and where can I get it from?
regards
Don McAlpine