PDA

View Full Version : Good Data Recovery program

bk T
21-07-2013, 01:05 PM
Could you please recommend me a good data recovery software (preferrably free but prepared to pay 'a little') for deleted files.

Thanks.

Nick G
21-07-2013, 01:14 PM
Piriform Recuva for Windows
the Testdisk package for linux.

bk T
21-07-2013, 02:58 PM
Tried Recuva, it found 90% of the deleted files; backed them up, but Word couldn't open them correctly. Seems the recovered files are corrupted.

Have I done something wrong?

wainuitech
21-07-2013, 03:24 PM
No, you probably haven't done anything wrong using the program. A lot depends on when they were deleted. If you deleted them and straight away went oh :eek: and then ran a data recovery program you would have gotten them back whole usually.

BUT as soon as you do anything on the computer, or the longer you leave it the more chance there is of data or parts being over written.

Even installing recuva may have over written some files - you should NEVER install a data recovery program on the same drive you are trying to recover data from.

fred_fish
21-07-2013, 03:26 PM
Tried Recuva, it found 90% of the deleted files; backed them up, but Word couldn't open them correctly. Seems the recovered files are corrupted.

Have I done something wrong?

Probably continuing to use the disk has written data to blocks previously occupied by those files, making them irretrievable by any means...

bk T
21-07-2013, 10:51 PM
Does it mean that's the end of it, I won't be able to get them anymore?

pcuser42
21-07-2013, 11:29 PM
Does it mean that's the end of it, I won't be able to get them anymore?Pretty much. It's a bit like Twink, you can recover the deleted data (by scratching the Twink off) as long as you haven't written new data over the top.

Agent_24
22-07-2013, 09:30 AM
FileScavenger v4 is very good in my opinion. You can run a demo scan and see what it finds before you pay for it.

22-07-2013, 10:48 AM
Maybee via Shadow Copies ???
That wont help in most cases though, but we are at the clutching at straws stage now, unfortunately.

Remove that HD from the PC untill you are sure you cant get anything else from it. Do all you data recovery with that HD connected to another PC as a secondary HD.
DO NOT write anything to it

GetDataBack is very good for data recovery(not free), but wont help if the deleted file has been overwritten.
Deleted files arnt hard to recover (using free software), if they are actually recoverable & not overwritten.

You might be able to extract the text out of those corrupt word files. Try opening with notepad