PDA

View Full Version : Publisher creates PHP files

FoxyMX
20-07-2013, 01:00 PM
A family member has an old file created in MS Publisher that has somehow been changed to or saved as a PHP file. She has no idea how it ended up that way but I am thinking maybe she saved it as a web page in Publisher except that it would/should have been saved as a HTML file if that were the case. Neither Publisher or any of hers or my programs will open the file however, and she needs the info in it. I did open it with Opera but the text is pretty garbled.

Any ideas on getting Publisher or a text program to read it properly?

pcuser42
20-07-2013, 01:36 PM
PHP is a server-side scripting language so I have no idea how Publisher even knows about the format...

About the only way I know is to actually put it on a web host and run the script.

FoxyMX
20-07-2013, 06:28 PM
Mmm cheers, but I wouldn't really know how to do that. :blush: :p

zqwerty
20-07-2013, 06:36 PM
Try changing the .php to .pub, ignore complaints from o/s, then try opening with Publisher, do this to a copy not the original file.

FoxyMX
20-07-2013, 06:45 PM
That was the first thing I tried. Publisher doesn't want to know. Says to check that the floppy disk is inserted correctly and to try again. The file is on my hard drive, not on a floppy disk. :rolleyes:

pcuser42
20-07-2013, 06:53 PM
Could you open it in Notepad then copy/paste a few lines?

wainuitech
20-07-2013, 07:03 PM
Absolutely no idea if this will be of any help, but since you only need some info from it and not he actual publisher file, according to some places, html-kit-292 (http://www.htmlkit.com/download/#download-html-kit-292) is meant to open for editing .php files. "maybe" then you can copy / paste out the info in something more readable - the older free version may work.

Worth a try its only 2.3 ish Mb, nothing to lose since nothing else is working :2cents:

FoxyMX
21-07-2013, 11:20 AM
Could you open it in Notepad then copy/paste a few lines?

I can open it with Notepad but it won't paste very well here with all the strange characters.

Absolutely no idea if this will be of any help, but since you only need some info from it and not he actual publisher file, according to some places, html-kit-292 (http://www.htmlkit.com/download/#download-html-kit-292) is meant to open for editing .php files. "maybe" then you can copy / paste out the info in something more readable - the older free version may work.

Worth a try its only 2.3 ish Mb, nothing to lose since nothing else is working :2cents:

I had already tried that with another HTML program but downloaded and had a go with html-kit-292 to see if that could do better. Same result - both spat it out in disgust. :p

Never mind, I have retrieved the information required, garbled as it is, which is the main thing. I thought there was a chance of someone being able to pull something better out of a hat, as often happens, but not this time I guess. Thanks for the help anyway. :)

pcuser42
21-07-2013, 11:45 AM
I can open it with Notepad but it won't paste very well here with all the strange characters.

In that case it's not PHP then... :confused: