PDA

View Full Version : Sansa Clip Zip NOT recognized by the computer

Columbuslee
19-07-2013, 02:31 PM
I tried the forum that is on the SanDisk website and no one seems to be able to solve the problem.

Since you people did such a GREAT job solving my last problem I have decided to come to the BEST!!!

Here is my post:

My Clip Zip works on my laptop running Windows 7, but will no longer work on my PC running Windows 7.

I've tried regedit and going into the device manager where I get the following message when I try and reload the software:

When trying to update the driver software for the Sansa Clip Zip using Windows 7 device manager
Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device
Windows found driver software for your device, but encountered an error while attempting to install it
MTP USB device
the dependency service group failed to start

From what I have been able to find those two are the only solutions on your website.

It seems it is a problem in the registry, but I don't know how to correct it.

Can you help?

Thanks

here is a link to the forum: http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Sansa-Clip-Zip/Clip-Zip-NOT-recognized-by-the-computer/m-p/297913#M4928

In my mind there is something on my PC that needs to be deleted so that I can reload the software and use my PC for my Clip Zip but I can't find the file.

Just to let you know the security program you recommended works great!!!!

wainuitech
19-07-2013, 04:11 PM
Have you tried all the options as described HERE (http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/42/kw/sansa%20clip%20zip%20not%20detected)

Columbuslee
20-07-2013, 12:46 PM
Yes. Many times.

I even did this one using regedit Advanced Troubleshooting (http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/205) but I was unable to delete every instance of "VID_0781" If VID_0781 was at the start of a tree I could not delete it.

I believe that there is some kind of change in the registry files on the PC that has not happened on my laptop.

In some of the posts on the Sansa forum (the link is on the first post) they want me to reinstalling the latest version of Windows Media Player. Together with the Windows Media Player are the MTP drivers. But I have not be able to reinstall Windows Media Player.

wainuitech
20-07-2013, 02:08 PM
Reading the link you posted it does mention there that you may not be able to delete the reg key.

If you wanted to uninstall Windows Media Player you go to the control Panel / Programs and features / on the left menu, click on "turn windows features on or off", under "media Features" untick Windows Media player - follow the instructions as they pop up. By turning off or uninstalling Media Player it WILL effect other programs. To put it back you do the same as uninstalling except tick the box, and it will reinstall Media Player.
(Assuming there's no system corruption causing a problem)

Columbuslee
20-07-2013, 04:05 PM
Thanks to you explicit instructions I was able to uninstall Windows Media Player. I would have never figured out where it was without your help.

I have tried repeatedly to install the drivers for the Clip Zip and I keep getting the same result.

This device is not configured correctly. (Code 1)

The dependency service or group failed to start.

I have done this with Media Player installed and not installed the end result is still the same.

When trying to update the driver software for the Sansa Clip Zip using Windows 7 device manager
Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device
Windows found driver software for your device, but encountered an error while attempting to install it
MTP USB device
the dependency service group failed to start

At the same time I would take the MP3 player and install it in the laptop and it would install it. With no problem.

Strange isn't it?

What is "the dependency service or group?"

wainuitech
20-07-2013, 04:38 PM
Sounds a bit like theres some corruption some place stopping it. it may be system files, or may be in the reg.

To answer the last question, (Service) have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_service easier than writing it all out again :)

You can try running a system check to see if it picks up anything or not.

Click start, type in cmd right click the result, run as administrator - type in sfc /scannow <press Enter> it may take a while to run.

Even it it doesn't find anything, once finished restart the computer and try the Clip Zip again.

Speedy Gonzales
20-07-2013, 05:01 PM
If you know how to use the registry go to start/run type regedit.

Then go here: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{eec5ad98-8080-425f-922a-dabf3de3f69a}. It looks like this entry may have something to do with MTP devices

Is there an upper or lowerfilter entry here??. If there is what does it say to the right of it?

I would also check under event viewer for any error relating to this. Start/run type eventvwr.msc. Look under windows logs / system

Columbuslee
20-07-2013, 06:15 PM
I followed your directions - system check found no errors.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your detailed help. I learn so much from the assistance all of you have given.

I am going to follow Speedy's directions in the morning.

By the way there are 5 files in driver file details on the laptop that works and 4 in the driver file details on the PC that doesn't work. This is the file that is different from the 4 that are on both computers c:\Windows\system32\Drivers\WUDFRd.sys

Columbuslee
21-07-2013, 01:17 AM
I don't know if I copied this right - but I can go back in and get what you want.

Tree underneath: 0000 thru 0014 with last one being Properties but I cannot open the file

Copy from event 10101, DriverFrameworks-UserMode
c\Windows\system32\Drivers\WUDFRd.sys
Error 7/19/2013 10:44:05 PM DriverFrameworks-UserMode 10101 Installation or update of device drivers.
Service control manager Event 7001: The Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework service depends on the User Mode Driver Frameworks Platform Driver service which failed to start because of the following error:
Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source.
Log Name: System
Source: Service Control Manager
Date: 7/19/2013 10:44:05 PM
Event ID: 7000
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: LeeAKniess-PC
Description:
The User Mode Driver Frameworks Platform Driver service failed to start due to the following error:
Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49152">7000</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-07-20T02:44:05.123713200Z" />
<EventRecordID>183153</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="600" ThreadID="2456" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>LeeAKniess-PC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="param1">User Mode Driver Frameworks Platform Driver</Data>
<Data Name="param2">%%577</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

It looks like the file c\Windows\system32\Drivers\WUDFRd.sys is causing the problem?

Do you need more info?

Speedy Gonzales
21-07-2013, 08:10 AM
Looks like its not loading a file, because it doesnt have a digital signature, its unknown or its malicious. What about the entry in the registry. Is upper or lowerfilters under that entry in the right window? Go to start/run type services.msc

Whats windows driver foundation on?? Automatic? Or isnt this service here?

Columbuslee
21-07-2013, 08:32 AM
Windows driver foundation is on manual.

Columbuslee
21-07-2013, 08:42 AM
I cannot find any upper or lower filters under that entry in the right window. The entries on the right window are: (Default), Class, ClassDesc, Icon, IconPath, Installer32.

Is that the info you wanted?

Speedy Gonzales
21-07-2013, 08:49 AM
Thats good. Upper/lowerfilters if an entry was there shouldnt be there. Umm, just checking out that error you posted. If you put the sansa in a USB port. Does anything come in device manager for it at all?? If something does come up, double click on it, go to the details tab, change it to hardware ids. Copy / press ctrl-c then paste / ctrl-v whats there in here

Its something to do with the driver its trying to load I think. Or a service thats meant to be there isnt there, or its not starting

If you want put teamviewer (www.teamviewer.com) on this, then run it. Then send me the ID and password it gives you in a PM. I can check it out from here

Columbuslee
21-07-2013, 11:01 AM
Here it is:

USB\VID_0781&PID_74E4&REV_:;78
USB\VID_0781&PID_74E4

Interesting it is 2 of those VID_0781 that I tried to delete.
+
I just found them. In regedit when I search for them they come up on one line in right window: name: HardwareID, Type: REG_Multi_SZ Data: USB\VID_0781&PID_74E4&REV_:;78USB\VID_0781&PID_74E4

Columbuslee
21-07-2013, 11:12 AM
I jumped the gun a little: that line comes up 4 times in the right window when I do a find next of the entire registry.

Speedy Gonzales
21-07-2013, 11:39 AM
So if you deleted them did it work

Columbuslee
21-07-2013, 12:03 PM
Unable to delete all specified values. It says I can modify or rename.

Speedy Gonzales
21-07-2013, 01:03 PM
Well if you want get teamviewer and i can have a look. Maybe a service or something is missing as well. Altho isnt WMP 12 out now for Win7?? Well, thats what version is on the netbook here.

Columbuslee
21-07-2013, 01:37 PM
What exactly do you want me to record.

I have no problem trying teamviewer.

Speedy Gonzales
21-07-2013, 01:38 PM
Nothing, just install teamviewer run it it'll give you an id and password. Send them to them in a PM

Columbuslee
21-07-2013, 09:18 PM
Sent you the PM

Speedy Gonzales
21-07-2013, 10:48 PM
Got it going. An update (KB2685813) must have been corrupt thats why the windows driver foundation service wouldnt start.

Had to uninstall the one that was installed. And redownload it then reinstall it again

As soon as it was reinstalled, all I had to do was go to device manager / the sansa entry under portable devices / driver tab / update it. Windows gave it a driver. And voila it appeared

Btw, columbus if you dont reboot or turn it off now, I would do it tomorrow.

Columbuslee
22-07-2013, 03:07 AM
I rebooted it this morning and for some reason the computer ran like the wind.

And my Clip Zip loaded.

Thanks again!!!!!!

Speedy Gonzales
22-07-2013, 08:22 AM
Sweet! It may have been that svchost malware file that was in startup, that was causing probs. It may have blocked something too (it may have somehow corrupted that file/service). But it should be gone. Just be careful what you get.

wainuitech
22-07-2013, 11:33 AM
Good you got it sorted, sometimes to fix problems you have to actually see the computer / System, and then its actually easier than guessing or trying only the basics. :)