NZHawk
19-07-2013, 11:54 AM
Hitachi 160Gb HDD
running SeaTools for DOS
has been running for 40 minutes + and has only complete 2%

is this indicative of a failing hdd?

Speedy Gonzales
19-07-2013, 11:58 AM
See if its running in PIO mode under the IDE entry in device manager. See what its on. If it's running in PIO mode, that maybe the reason why its slow.

What version of windows is installed? Or check the BIOS see if its got a DMA / PIO option. See what thats on

dugimodo
19-07-2013, 12:24 PM
Sometimes DOS is quite slow as it can't take advantage of windows driver related features, hard to say if going slow indicates a problem or not. Also is Seatools compatible with non seagate hard drives? I'm not sure I'd trust it completely, do Hitachi not have diagnostic software? (or are the two brands related in some way?)

You could try booting of a windows DVD and running chkdsk, not as good but still should give you an Idea.

NZHawk
19-07-2013, 12:34 PM
See if its running in PIO mode under the IDE entry in device manager.
See what its on. If it's running in PIO mode, that maybe the reason why its slow. unable to determine or find where listed
Hitachi IDE

What version of windows is installed? Windows Vista Home Basic
Check the BIOS see if its got a DMA / PIO option: PhoenixBios - no option

Speedy Gonzales
19-07-2013, 12:46 PM
Hmm have you tried connecting it to a desktop to scan it??

19-07-2013, 02:07 PM
running SeaTools for DOS

Dos
so ignore the comments re PIO mode obviously :-)

HD tests in DOS do take longer, especially a full surface scan.
But that does seem too slow , will be 30 hours to complete by the sounds of it :rolleyes:
I wouldnt trust that HD, personally. Some drives can pass every test you throw at it , yet still actually be faulty .

I assuming you booted off a seatools CD/floppy & arnt running it withing Windows

pctek
19-07-2013, 04:39 PM
Drives generally die in one of two ways:

Controller - in which case the BIOS won't even see it
Disk itself - in which case you get errors, clicks, corrupt files, slowness in loading stuff etc....
Event Viewer - System will often show DISK errors.

If it does, evict it.

NZHawk
19-07-2013, 04:42 PM
Thank you.
I'll recheck the Event Viewer

wainuitech
19-07-2013, 04:51 PM
"sometimes" the drives own SMART will actually detect a failure - quick and easy way, try using CrystalDiskInfo (http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/index-e.html) it wll give you a look at what the SMART is actually saying. ( get the zipped version, the exe appears to have open Candy bundled, the Zip is clean) Doesn't always mean the drive is failing, as one of mine has been showing "Caution" for over 8 months now, yet still plodding along with no problems or disk errors.

NZHawk
19-07-2013, 05:57 PM
Thank you.
will give CrystalDiskInfo a try

event viewer was clean - no hdd errors

pctek
20-07-2013, 08:10 AM
event viewer was clean - no hdd errors
So try running Windows disk check/repair.

Right-click the hard disk drive that you want to check, and then click Properties.

Click the Tools tab, and then, under Error-checking, click Check Now.

select Automatically fix file system errors.
To perform a thorough disk check, select Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.

To check for both file errors and physical errors, select both Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.

It will want you to reboot and do this on boot......this can fix problems with slow drives too, if it's sw related rather than hw.