PDA

View Full Version : Can you reinstall windows 7 without COA?

Jiggle
17-07-2013, 10:56 PM
I recently reinstalled my computer hardware in another case and wanted to do a fresh install. But before I realized it I had already thrown the case in the bin with the COA sticker on the back, stupid I know but it was rubbish day and the truck was just up the street. Anyway I still have the OS disk that came with it somewhere so can I still use this? Not sure if there is a COA on the packaging, will have to have a look around and see if I can find it.

wainuitech
17-07-2013, 11:06 PM
Yes you can install it without a product key, BUT you must enter the product key to activate Windows within 30 days. Once the grace period of 30 days end your system will go in no boot and you may have to re-install it again. Sometimes it will allow you to enter a legit key.

The COA that comes with the dvd - there is generally only 1 sticker, the one you had on the side of the case.

Jiggle
17-07-2013, 11:31 PM
Yes you can install it without a product key, BUT you must enter the product key to activate Windows within 30 days. Once the grace period of 30 days end your system will go in no boot and you may have to re-install it again. Sometimes it will allow you to enter a legit key.

The COA that comes with the dvd - there is generally only 1 sticker, the one you had on the side of the case.

So if I do do a fresh install can I just copy the product key in the system information under control panel? It should work I think as long as someone else doesn't find that COA sticker.

bk T
18-07-2013, 12:08 AM
If it's a branded machine that came with the install disks like HP for example, (some machines), you don't need that COA key - just install Win7 with the install disk and it will be activated automatically. I did it on several machines and they all activted OK. If you have the disks from HP, you actually can install it on most HP machines.

inphinity
18-07-2013, 08:44 AM
So if I do do a fresh install can I just copy the product key in the system information under control panel? It should work I think as long as someone else doesn't find that COA sticker.

Product ID != Product Key

wainuitech
18-07-2013, 09:58 AM
You cant install Windows 7 with the product ID code.

The product ID will generally only be numbers, the OEM versions will be a set of 5 numbers with OEM then another 12 numbers after that, 20 digits in total.

The Product key is a set of 25 Digits consisting of numbers and letters - this is what is required.

If the PC is a non Name brand Eg: HP/Compaq, Dell etc and the current OS is still installed you can run a program like keyfinder/ (http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/) - this will tell you the real product key thats currently installed, should be the same one as whats on the sticker.

pctek
18-07-2013, 04:37 PM
I recently reinstalled my computer hardware in another case and wanted to do a fresh install. it.

You don't need to do an install at all when moving the guts to a new case.

But if you want to, yes you need the COA.
As Wainuitech has said, if the existing Windows install is still intact, use a program to retrieve the key before you wipe it.

Then write it down somewhere so you don't lose it again.