PDA

View Full Version : Utility sought

DeSade
17-07-2013, 01:32 PM
I need a utility that will take the folder (or file) names from a directory and output a txt file.
Don't want to mess around with a dos prompt to do it.

Any suggestions?

Speedy Gonzales
17-07-2013, 02:05 PM
This? There's a free and Pro version (http://www.infonautics.ch/directorylistprint/)

DeSade
17-07-2013, 02:08 PM
That looks like it will do the job.
Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
17-07-2013, 02:09 PM
No probs

inphinity
17-07-2013, 02:10 PM
Powershell: get-childitem <starting directory> -recurse | select-object FullName | out-file <output file>
e.g.: get-childitem c:\ -recurse | select-object FullName | out-file c:\fileout.txt
will give you a recursive list of everything on c:\ (well, everything the user you're logged in as has permission to see) and output it to c:\fileout.txt

dugimodo
17-07-2013, 03:37 PM
I know you said no DOS but... The dos command is Dir >list.txt
If you create a text document called list.bat in notepad and put that line in, copy to the directory, and double click it you'll get your file.

You can use any of the DOS switches as well Dir /D >list.txt works quite well for example.

If you put " >filename.txt" on the end of most dos commands that generate text it'll output to a file instead of the screen

inphinity
17-07-2013, 03:43 PM
Likewise, dir /b /d /s will give you a recursive list of all files & subfolders within the current folder, the same as my powershell suggestion above ;)

Chilling_Silence
17-07-2013, 04:14 PM
Yeah /b is probably what you're after, means "bare list", so you don't get filesizes etc...

Best part is this is already on *every* system!
dir /b > file.txt

Easy :D