PDA

View Full Version : A Little Explaning needed please

jxer4567
16-07-2013, 03:09 PM
(Sorry for the bad english and all im useless with it)

So i bought this http://www.netgear.co.nz/home/products/wirelessrouters/high-performance/dgnd3700.aspx this weekend just been and
need some explaining done to me, im thinking of getting this http://www.pp.co.nz/products.php?pp_id=AA27428 now.......
does it connect to both bands at the same time (both 2.4GHz and 5GHz) since it is a dual band router and dual band wifi receiver

If you could also maybe explain dualband itself to me please so i know a little more about it aswell

Thanks in advance

dugimodo
16-07-2013, 03:22 PM
No it'll just use one or the other, if it's like my smartphone with it's dual band support it'll see two different wi-fi SSID's and you'll have to pick one.

All dual band means is that the router essentially has two seperate wi-fi transceivers each with it's own network SSID that operate independantly of each other.
It's the same as if you had 2 seperate wi-fi routers, 1 on each frequency. Good for areas with a lot of interferance on 2.4Ghz or networks shared with a lot of devices.

jxer4567
16-07-2013, 03:26 PM
Thanks for that dude that helps does it matter if i get this
http://www.noelleeming.co.nz/shop/computers/computer-accessories/computer-networking/cisco-ae2500-linksys-dual-band-wireless-usb-adapter/prod115611.html
instead as its cheaper, it does not matter what brand i use to connect to it does it? :)

Antmannz
16-07-2013, 04:00 PM
That Netgear router is a piece of sh*t. You'd do well to return it immediately.

It's prime problem is that it cannot connect with an MTU setting of over 1456. This will cause problems with your internet connection, including slow speeds, dropouts and the outright inability to connect to some sites.

Replace it with a Draytek (more expensive, but worth it) or TP-Link (less expensive than the Netgear, but far better quality).

jxer4567
16-07-2013, 04:44 PM
The only trouble i have had so far is when i had to move it between adsl plugs then it would only detect adsl line not internet aswell but after turning it off and on it detected internet connection not just adsl it was this or belkin n600 modem router

wainuitech
16-07-2013, 04:49 PM
Sometimes the Internet can take a short while to sync in once the adsl is detected. Its not uncommon for it to take 5-10 minutes sometimes. ( doesn't matter what brand of router)

Was at a place the other day, they had tried 3 different routers belkin, Thompson and Netcomm, nothing would sync up, put in that exact router (netgear) was up and running in under a minute. great range and topped out their speed they had when doing a speed test, rock solid connections on all 6 devices connected.

jxer4567
16-07-2013, 05:04 PM
Thank you my old router belkin F5D8636-4 v1 was just getting too slow and not spreading signal out as far as wanted it too, it would only reach 10mbps down and 1 mbps up on a speedtest. But with this new netgear router 16-18mbps down and 1mbps up and ping has become less also i'm enjoying the new router. I was just asking how the whole dualband thing worked router and receiver wise as it will be in the middle of the house (well almost completely in the middle) and wanted to know if the adpaters i have found will work with it and how.