PDA

View Full Version : Installing MSSE

katharinem
15-07-2013, 03:43 PM
My husband used the trial for EsetNod32 until advised today that it had expired. As he does not wish to purchase the licensed version, he uninstalled the trial using its own uninstaller. Rebooted, turned off firewall in order to install MSoft Security Essentials but has had no success with it. He had uninstalled MSSE prior to using EsetNod32 trial. There are no other internet security programmes installed on his computer. He is running XP, has Malwarebytes, CCleaner and a couple of other spam checkers and uses Kerio firewall. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Bryan
15-07-2013, 05:27 PM
It could be that Kerio is blocking the download.

I assume that he has gone to the Microsoft download site to obtain MSSE? I would block Kerio from working and try to download MSSE again, there should be no reason that it wont install. After you have MSSE working, restart Kerio.

wainuitech
15-07-2013, 06:45 PM
Agree could be the kerio causing problems or even clashing with MSSE.

MSSE is no where as good as the Nod32 - see results of MSSE that all the time. MSSE is really not designed for XP, even though they made it so, often seen problems with XP/MSSE, yet works fine in Vista/W7.

It used to be recommend here as a good free one, but these days thats changed.

katharinem
17-07-2013, 01:40 AM
Thanks for replies...I said above that we had disabled Kerio. We did download the file from the MSoft website. Still no success with installation of MSSE. We had used ESETNod32 own uninstaller.
We installed latest free AVAST and it has tonight come up with the following - "Seagate Backup/len/C/programme files/1clickdownload/uninst.exe |>nsis,hdr is infected by NSIS:Oneclickdownload-E [PUP]"
Can someone please give me a link for the cleaner for that and any associated nasties.?
We found this on June 14 - WINS32/SERIF.EZ Trojan. Speedy Gonzales helped with fixing that problem.
Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
17-07-2013, 08:50 AM
programme files/1clickdownload/uninst.exe |>nsis,hdr is infected by NSIS:Oneclickdownload-E [PUP]" Delete that folder the 1clickdownload folder

Or scan the hdd with malwarebytes. If MSSE wont install, does it bring up any errors?

autechre
17-07-2013, 10:57 AM
Avoid MSSE... it's gone way downhill in its detection & cleaning of nasties since Microsoft originally bought it out.

Stick with Avast & Malwarebytes.

Speedy Gonzales
17-07-2013, 11:08 AM
I wouldnt rely on Avast either. It maybe good but it can give you bluescreens too. The only AV programs I've read about (that dont crash) are MSE, NOD. Most of the others do (Avast, Kaspersky,Mcafee,Symantec, Bitdefender)

dugimodo
17-07-2013, 11:34 AM
User experience is important too, I had a 1 year license for kaspersky so I installed it. Test sites consistently rate it as one of the best anti-virus tools but once installed it noticeably affected internet browsing, stalling access to some web content for a long time and making browsing painful. I went back to MSSE. It may not be the best but on a modern PC it does a great job of not interfering with performance. MBAM pretty much picks up any slack that MSSE leaves if you use both regularly. It's no good being the best removal or prevention tool if you wreck the user experience in the process.

Avast does seem to currently be the one most recommended among the free ones on tech sites so it's probably a good choice but in my experience these tests get different results every time someone does them. The effectiveness of antivirus tools changes on pretty much a daily basis, what is the "best" today might rate poorly tomorrow. The important thing is to make sure you have something installed and preferably back it up with another tool like MBAM.

Speedy Gonzales
17-07-2013, 11:39 AM
Dont know if it happens now but Kaspersky used to block / stop webcams from working. And in some instances, the webcam entry would disappear from device manager!

Only way to fix it, was to uninstall Kaspersky. Or uninstall the version that was installed. And install a later version. Since it looks like some versions werent compatible with the version of windows, some people were using

Only thing with MSE is, I installed it on the netbook here (1.6 ghz), it nearly doubled the time it took to boot into windows (34-36 secs without it), and 51 secs to over a min when it was installed. Even with the new version. So, decided to uninstall it completely. And use defender instead. At least that doesnt slow it down

katharinem
17-07-2013, 12:03 PM
Once again, thank you for replies. It's such a relief to read all of your advice and opinions, after a frustrating few hours dealing with unwanted rubbish. MBAM is used regularly on both our computers. I've had no problems with MSSE but often wonder why it very rarely - only once that I recall, found a nasty! I think we might be getting to the stage where we'll update OS but hopefully we can hang on till the MSoft XP support ends. I've used other OS but always found XP has been the easiest to navigate with very few problems. I have an apricot tree to prune and more travel to plan, so will get back to sorting problems later.

17-07-2013, 02:01 PM
If MSSE wont install, on an old XP PC, just try something else. Ive had a few slower/older XP PC's that MSSE caused a bit of a slowdown in general.

Avast or Avira are the other free AV's to try. If Avast, do a custom install & choose (from memory) just file scanning & email options.
Avast has an issue of sneaking in a bundled Chrome install that you may not want . Avira will have dayly popups trying to sell you the paid version.