PDA

View Full Version : MS Skydrive

Nomad
15-07-2013, 03:41 PM
I am setting up 2 cloud drives for my more important files. RE: Skydrive. I know how to change the location but how are the files stored? Are they stored under the SkyDrive blue icon filename. I am trying to assign it a folder, so whenever that folder gets updated, it syncs to the cloud.

It seems that if I change the folder. If I copy files there it's not synced. But if I double click the blue cloud icon filename it opens up another world itself where it stores the files. I am trying to minimise duplicates, so when the folders change, it simply just sync to MS.

Nomad
15-07-2013, 04:03 PM
If I unlink it via the settings. The 32MB blue cloud dissapears and the files. Maybe it's better just to upload using a web browser. If online has like 1 or 2GB of files and I reinstall the app, wouldn't it resync to my HD again and download it again :confused:

wainuitech
15-07-2013, 06:32 PM
On any PC's that we use skydrive, if you put anything in the actual Skydrive folder it will sync / upload to Skydrive. i've also found if you select other folders outside of the skydrive folder they wont even if you tell skydrive to select them. Thats how I have my accounting backups, every time I backup the program it instantly backs up to skydrive any changes.

Nomad
15-07-2013, 06:42 PM
so that means you would have two copies? one in the normal folder and one in the skydrive?

wainuitech
15-07-2013, 06:49 PM
Not for me :) the accounting program I use ( cashbook Complete) has the option to backup anywhere on the LAN, or local PC, it used to be C Drive Cashbook Backups, but I changed the backup location to the Skydrive folder.

Now when I make an entry, and then click backup , its instantly uploaded to Skydrive. The program only insists on being backed up daily, but I can do it manually if I want.

fred_fish
15-07-2013, 07:22 PM
It may be with noting that anything you store there is directly accessible to US authorities and their many contractors.
This may be acceptable to you (or not) but I certainly wouldn't be putting anything private or commercially sensitive on there.
You may also be in breach of NZ data protection laws if you put other people's information there.

Nomad
15-07-2013, 07:36 PM
I may use encryption on it :D
May look into that method WT.