PDA

View Full Version : PSU fan keeps reving up and down under no load

Jiggle
13-07-2013, 11:30 PM
I got a replacement psu for a faulty one. The psu fan seems to rev up and down every minute and the computer isn't even doing anything serious, im just reading fourms and watching youtube so its not like im drawing a lot of power. Im not sure why its doing this, there doesn't seem to be any manual fan override.anyone know how to fix this or what could be doing this?

Its a FSP raider PSU

Jiggle
13-07-2013, 11:31 PM
I got a replacement psu for a faulty one. The psu fan seems to rev up and down every minute and the computer isn't even doing anything serious, im just reading fourms and watching youtube so its not like im drawing a lot of power. Im not sure why its doing this, there doesn't seem to be any manual fan override.anyone know how to fix this or what could be doing this?

Its a FSP raider PSU

wainuitech
13-07-2013, 11:44 PM
Are you 100% positive its the PSU fan and not the CPU fan ?

Jiggle
14-07-2013, 05:03 PM
Are you 100% positive its the PSU fan and not the CPU fan ?

Yes. Its a new PSU so thats why I notice it.

wainuitech
14-07-2013, 06:08 PM
Try this, remove the side of the case, and run it without any side on. Most power supplies have a temperature sensor on them that will increase the speed of their internal fan(s) if they start getting to hot then slow down again when cooler.

If it runs normally without the side on the case you have a cooling problem. Check that there is nothing blocking or obstructing the air Flow, poor cabling, cards in the way can cause overheating.

Jiggle
14-07-2013, 06:53 PM
Try this, remove the side of the case, and run it without any side on. Most power supplies have a temperature sensor on them that will increase the speed of their internal fan(s) if they start getting to hot then slow down again when cooler.

If it runs normally without the side on the case you have a cooling problem. Check that there is nothing blocking or obstructing the air Flow, poor cabling, cards in the way can cause overheating.

I did run the PSU outside of the case before I installed it and it was working fine. Yesterday the fan just kept revving but today it has been fine so far. Will keep an eye on it and see how it goes.

Jiggle
16-07-2013, 11:34 PM
PSU fan is still revving but not as bad as when I made my first post. Now it revs up for about 5 seconds every 2 minutes compared to before when it was 20 seconds every minute. Again the computer is not doing any intensive tasks, right now im reading fourms and the average cpu usage is about 15% with no drive activity. Could this be a faulty PSU?

This is my 3rd PSU and this is the first time i've had this issue.

pctek
17-07-2013, 07:55 AM
If there is no PSU fan controller, the PSU is new and therefore clean of fluff etc, then it's faulty.

I'd stick with Corsair, Antec or Enermax.

inphinity
17-07-2013, 09:33 AM
Some PSUs control the fan based on their loading, rather than temperature. Worse still, some use fixed-load stepping, rather than a continuously-variable curve. For example, some PSUs may up their fan speed form 20% to 50% when their output load goes above 60%. In this case, if the PSU load is fluctuating between, say, 59% and 61%, the fan will keep revving up and down between 20% speed and 50% speed. It's a cheap, simple way to do it. May not necessarily be what's occurring in your case, but it is possible. FSP's Raider is a cheap rubbishy brand (though FSP used to do another model, I forget what it was called, that was surprisingly good), so I also wouldn't be surprised if it's simply faulty.

Jiggle
17-07-2013, 10:52 PM
If there is no PSU fan controller, the PSU is new and therefore clean of fluff etc, then it's faulty.

I'd stick with Corsair, Antec or Enermax.

This was a replacement for my corsair PSU which was still under warranty. Not sure if I could ask for a different PSU.

Some PSUs control the fan based on their loading, rather than temperature. Worse still, some use fixed-load stepping, rather than a continuously-variable curve. For example, some PSUs may up their fan speed form 20% to 50% when their output load goes above 60%. In this case, if the PSU load is fluctuating between, say, 59% and 61%, the fan will keep revving up and down between 20% speed and 50% speed. It's a cheap, simple way to do it. May not necessarily be what's occurring in your case, but it is possible. FSP's Raider is a cheap rubbishy brand (though FSP used to do another model, I forget what it was called, that was surprisingly good), so I also wouldn't be surprised if it's simply faulty.

I would have chosen a corsair but this was a warranty replacement.

I do not think my PSU is loading up to 50%. Computer is pretty much idling and it still happens. So I think it might be a temperature thing.
I would hate to see what would happen in the summer time when temperatures are hotter, I don't think I could take the constant revving. I have a gaming case with vents so my case is pretty noisy as it is, the reving of the PSU basically doubles the noise. The PSu is also mounted upside down so it is getting air from underneath the case and there is plenty or room for air.

I will give this PSU one more week and if it keeps doing it I will see if I can get this swapped.

wainuitech
17-07-2013, 11:01 PM
You mentioned in an earlier post
I did run the PSU outside of the case before I installed it and it was working fine.

Remove the PSU again, leave it hanging outside the case - run the PC and see what happens. If its working as it should, even though you say
The PSU is also mounted upside down so it is getting air from underneath the case and there is plenty or room for air.
It would suggest its starving for Air,and cant get the required amount to cool, hence over heating = higher fan speeds.

If its still revving high with plenty of airflow outside the case then the PSU may have a fault.

I will give this PSU one more week and if it keeps doing it I will see if I can get this swapped. this is not such a good idea, if you leave it for a week and the PSU does have a fault, or lack of airflow causing it, it wont fix itself.

Jiggle
17-07-2013, 11:33 PM
You mentioned in an earlier post

Remove the PSU again, leave it hanging outside the case - run the PC and see what happens. If its working as it should, even though you say It would suggest its starving for Air,and cant get the required amount to cool, hence over heating = higher fan speeds.

If its still revving high with plenty of airflow outside the case then the PSU may have a fault.

this is not such a good idea, if you leave it for a week and the PSU does have a fault, or lack of airflow causing it, it wont fix itself.

I find it hard to believe it is starving for air as I have already had 3 PSU's in the same case with no problem. But I will try running it outside the case and see how that goes. Cheers

inphinity
18-07-2013, 09:00 AM
This was a replacement for my corsair PSU which was still under warranty. Not sure if I could ask for a different PSU.

I would have chosen a corsair but this was a warranty replacement.

So, wait, under warranty, they replaced a Corsair PSU with a FSP? I'd be telling them to sod right off, personally... when your Porsche breaks under warranty you don't expect to get a Tata Nano as a replacement.

wratterus
18-07-2013, 10:42 AM
So, wait, under warranty, they replaced a Corsair PSU with a FSP? I'd be telling them to sod right off, personally... when your Porsche breaks under warranty you don't expect to get a Tata Nano as a replacement.

Damn straight.

Jiggle
18-07-2013, 11:37 PM

Well apparently the model I had is out of production. It was a 600W. They said they would give me a FSP Raider 650W. I didn't really have a choice as they just got it for me. Not sure if I was even allowed to have the option to choose. That PSU was bought brand new and installed at the shop 18 months ago.

19-07-2013, 10:01 AM
Well apparently the model I had is out of production. It was a 600W. They said they would give me a FSP Raider 650W. I didn't really have a choice as they just got it for me. Not sure if I was even allowed to have the option to choose. That PSU was bought brand new and installed at the shop 18 months ago.

I would have thought, the most reasonable thing would have been to offer a new Model 600W (or higher) Corsair PSU.
They still make plenty of 600-650W PSU's
http://www.corsair.com/us/power-supply-units/tx-series-power-supply-units/tx-series-tx650-80-plus-bronze-certified-650-watt-high-performance-power-supply.html

This brings up an interesting point
Should companies, retailers, importers be allowed to tempt us with 2,3 or 5 year guarantees when they obviously cant replace it when it fails.
Ive had this with a mb replaced under warranty, it was replaced with a board that had the newer CPU socket type, so I couldnt use it. MB to match my CPU wasnt available (Gigabyte)
Same with giving me a re-manufactured (with noisey bearings) replacement HardDrive for my 1 that was less than 1year old. (Seagate)

Most retailers & service companies do have a complete disregard for the CGA, many even having company policies that are in total breech of the CGA : Ive had that in places Ive worked at.
Its about time there needs to be some big fines for trying to refuse obligations under the CGA. They all do it, start making it REALLY expensive when retailers get caught trying in on.

dugimodo
19-07-2013, 10:56 AM
What confuses me is how a warranty replacement can change brands, the supplier would get a replacement from corsair under warranty surely? so why fob you off with a cheaper brand. Unless they are for some reason trying to avoid an actual warranty claim to the manufacturer and just supplying the replacement from their own stock.
As others have said I'd be asking for a comparable replacement from the same brand. Corsair wont replace one of their faulty units with one from another manufacturer, so why should your supplier? Something smells a little.

wainuitech
19-07-2013, 11:40 AM
What generally happens is if a model ( of anything) goes out of availability the item under warranty has to be replaced with either the same as or better than the original.

Sometimes in the case of motherboards if the socket is to old and been discontinued people get offered a newer, and supposable "better" model. The sticking point with Motherboards is a newer socket wont take the original CPU. Its the motherboard that failed and replaced under warranty not the perfectly working CPU. ( had this argument a few times with suppliers) because the CPU is basically useless. What they can do is actually send back the warranty component to the manufacture, they would replace it with a working one, BUT ( and heres the "gotya" ;) ) the turn around time can take a month or longer - many people want it fixed right now, and not wait.

This is one HUGE disadvantage when buying components from different places, lets say a person buys a motherboard from Shop A, a CPU from Shop B. The motherboard fails, shop A replaces it with a newer model motherboard as the original is no longer available. The CPU from shop B is useless, Shop B doesn't have to do anything, the CPU is in perfect working order.

As for the PSU in this case - reading some reviews on the FSP, its actually a better PSU than the Corsair anyway. Also, Corsairs only have a 3 year warranty, the FSP has a 5 Year, so its a longer warranty time if something goes wrong. General rule of thumb is they are not going to put a 5 year warranty on a crap product.

Jiggle
20-07-2013, 02:29 PM
Ok so I took the PSU out of the case so its free to get air, was running quite for the first hour like it usually does, then I get the revving again. Seems like there is a fault. Going to take it back to the shop.