PDA

View Full Version : Connecting Two Networks to Share Photocopier

maccrazy
13-07-2013, 01:36 PM
Hi guys,

Been a while since I've stopped by PressF1 but was hoping that someone might be able to help me out with a bit of a network problem. Basically I'm working in a shared space that has a wireless network for a shared photocopier. Each company tends to have its own ADSL line in and separate network, but this means we need to keep swapping back and forth between networks whenever we want to print. What I want to do is somehow connect the two so that we can always be connected to our own wifi but messages for the printer can be sent though to the other network.

We have a Vodafone modem (assume latest model, has the colour screen on it and was only installed a month or so ago) that is connected to a Time Capsule. I bought an Airport Express to put beside the photocopier stupidly thinking I'd just be able to at it as a device or extend the Airport network and plug it into the other wireless router. This doesn't work so I'm trying to work out how to connect the two. There is a switch in the mix as well, so I gather this might be useful but have also plugged it into a port on there without any luck.:confused:

Tim

inphinity
16-07-2013, 08:31 AM
If you want to keep the networks otherwise-separate still, you're going to have to have something that can route between the networks. How many networks are we talking - your title says two, but then you mention multiple companys sharing the device.

kingdragonfly
16-07-2013, 08:56 AM
Connecting two networks is a bit of an advanced topic.

Is it a network only printer, or does it have any USB / parallel ports?

If you want to pursue the arduous task of connecting two networks, you're going to need a lot of technical knowledge.

Most networks today use TCP/IP. Luckily once you learn how one TCP/IP network works, most of the knowledge is applicable to most others.

Anytime you're connecting two networks, you're going to need a router, and usually a firewall.

Luckily these two functions, routing and firewall protection, are often combine into one cheap appliance.

First review this tutorial on TCP/IP and routing:

http://www.w3schools.com/tcpip/tcpip_intro.asp

You'll also need to know the following for your shared Photocopier

* which TCP/IP ports are used

* if the photocopier is using any form of authentication.

CliveM
16-07-2013, 09:23 AM
Easy way would be to use Cloud Print to do it. Down side would be setting it up on each machine that wanted to use it but once set up it works perfectly.

16-07-2013, 09:55 AM
Use one of these
http://www.dlink.com/us/en/home-solutions/connect/access-points-range-extenders-and-bridges/dap-1522-xtreme-n-duo-wireless-n-access-point
http://www.dlink.com/us/en/resource-centre/how-to-guides/how-to-extend-your-network-with-a-wireless-bridge

or a PC with 2 network cards ??? might work ??
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/hnw_understanding_bridge.mspx?mfr=true

kingdragonfly
16-07-2013, 03:03 PM
A PC with 2 network cards is a network bridge. I haven't heard of anyone doing this in a long time, because of security risks.

It's a somewhat expensive option, as you'd probably want to keep the PC dedicated, and set up printer sharing.

maccrazy
16-07-2013, 09:34 PM
If you want to keep the networks otherwise-separate still, you're going to have to have something that can route between the networks. How many networks are we talking - your title says two, but then you mention multiple companys sharing the device.

There are two relevant ones - the one with the photocopier and the one we have set up for internet. Other companies have their own - one also hooks into the photocopier through a different port and the others probably do the same as us and switch between networks depending on whether they need the internet or printer.

Connecting two networks is a bit of an advanced topic.

So I am discovering. :|

Easy way would be to use Cloud Print to do it. Down side would be setting it up on each machine that wanted to use it but once set up it works perfectly.

Good suggestion, I'll look into that option (not ideal for larger documents, but probably still quicker than switching back and forth between networks).

I'll take a look through the various articles everyone has linked to and see how I go.

Thanks everyone!

fred_fish
16-07-2013, 09:57 PM
You could set up one machine as a print server, on your network with ethernet, and with a wifi interface connected to the printers SSID, then just send your jobs to it's shared printer.