PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 upgrade usable after windows 8 upgrade?

skeptile2
11-07-2013, 06:55 PM
Hi,
So my dad recently upgraded his PC to Windows 8 Pro, from Windows 7 Home Basic which was an upgrade from Vista ultimate. Here's my question: I currently have the Vista ultimate installed on my computer, using the same key on the box that he used all those years ago, and I am wondering if it would be possible to use the Windows 7 upgrade on my Vista machine, and still have 2 legal machines. I think it might be legal, because we have 2 full XP licenses, and then the full Vista license, and the Windows 7 and 8 upgrades are upgradable from Windows XP and Vista, so in theory we should be able to have 3 pc's running Windows legally, no matter what version they're on.
Thanks,
Skeptile

wainuitech
11-07-2013, 07:22 PM
Your reasoning may sound good, but its not quite correct.

A FULL licence only means it can be transferred to another PC, it IS NOT a multi user Licence. Transferred Means removed from one PC then installed on another, NOT installed on 2 or more PC's.

OEM is tied to the original PC and cant be legally transferred or used on another PC.

skeptile2
12-07-2013, 04:54 PM
Ok so if, since 2003, my Dad has bought 2 copies of XP pro, and 1 copy of Vista ultimate, One Windows 7 upgrade and One Windows 8 upgrade, but he used the 7 upgrade to upgrade the Vista, and the 8 upgrade to the 7, what would that mean?

dugimodo
12-07-2013, 05:20 PM
I'm not sure about upgrade licenses, whether they tie to the hardware like OEM or to the key of the OS they upgrade which would make more sense - either way the windows 7 key is probably tied to the PC your dad upgraded twice.
I have an old upgrade version of Vista here that I can't remember what machine it belonged to, hasn't been used in a year or 3 and when I tried installing it it refused to activate so it's still tied to something.

That said you can always try it, if it won't activate you either have to ring MS and convince them to give you a new key or go back to your legit windows XP or Vista OS. The best way would be to install on a different hard drive from your existing OS so you don't have to reinstall if it fails. You can do a clean install of windows 7 upgrade on a empty hard drive a couple of ways, the simplest to explain is to simply install once without putting the key in or trying to activate, then reinstall a fresh copy over top of that to "upgrade" windows from itself - lets you use an upgrade key which otherwise wont be accepted and activates - at least if it's on legit hardware it does. (just did it on an old AMD machine I aquired that only had an upgrade disk with it) Disconnect your old drive first though or you will likely end up with a dual boot system if the installer notices the other OS (and no need to install twice if this happens). Not a big deal really but a little bit harder to restore back if it fails. (pretty easy though).

12-07-2013, 05:48 PM
Ok so if, since 2003, my Dad has bought 2 copies of XP pro, and 1 copy of Vista ultimate, One Windows 7 upgrade and One Windows 8 upgrade, but he used the 7 upgrade to upgrade the Vista, and the 8 upgrade to the 7, what would that mean?

Not much
It would POSSIBLY give you a valid XP license you can use
I very much doubt it entitles you to use the Vista, 7 or 8 licenses , as they are ALL bound to the 1 PC

I think youre just trying to justify a bit of software install naughtyness :thumbs:
Just do it, MS really dont care, they wont give you a grilling if you have to ring them to activate the OS. Just say its a re-install on the original PC

I endorse non of they above, its all fiction, the cat walked across the keyboard, I didnt say any of this. :xmouth:

wainuitech
12-07-2013, 06:01 PM
The above is a smile for a friday ;)

keyboards -- Really :D -- if you wanted to read the actual requirements its got in them a motherboard as minimum - that being said it depends on what the rep at MS is feeling like as to what they will accept ( get my drift).

A upgrade licence is generally a full licence - meaning it can go into another PC, BUT - still only ONE PC at a time, the exception is if its a multi user upgrade licence, A general upgrade is still only a single PC licence.

if you want a simplified version of W8 licencing, both OEM, and Upgrade have a read of This Article (http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-radically-overhauls-license-agreements-for-windows-8-7000002866/).