PDA

View Full Version : VDSL - is it just faster or will it reach further along copper lines?

excelsa
09-07-2013, 10:52 AM
I'm a rural dweller. My home is 14km from my exchange so ADSL is not available here. The Telecom website says that VDSL is available at my address.

So, does VDSL work at greater distance over copper lines than ADSL - will I get decent speeds 14km from the exchange?

I'm still waiting for a response from Telecom to these questions!

Thanks

Mike

inphinity
09-07-2013, 10:58 AM
I doubt VDSL will even sync if the copper run is 14km - but if the cabinet is closer, you may not be 14km away. VDSL2 has a very similar distance reach as ADSL2. Neither are really optimal for a >5km cable run, and <2km is ideal.

dugimodo
09-07-2013, 11:30 AM
It's just faster, and only at distances up to approx 3.5 km after which it becomes the same. The ReADSL2 standard (reach extended) allows for better speeds after 3.5KM and extends the range of ADSL2+ by about 500M to a max of approx 6.5 km but I don't know if any NZ ISP uses that standard.

If the website thinks VDSL is available it most likely thinks there is a cabinet within 3-4 km of your address, otherwise it's completely wrong.

If you saw a graph of speed vs distance for the various xDSL standards you would notice all the lines basically converge near 3.5KM because the attenuation of higher frequencies negates any advantages the newer standards have at that point. The Ideal is to be within 900M of a cabinet or exchange to achieve full sync speeds.

Nomad
09-07-2013, 12:02 PM
We can see one of the exchanges from our living room and there might be another one just up a block away from us :p
50m away, when we had ADSL we got a router sync speed of 20Mbps. But had the 30Mbps fiber for a few months now on a contract.

CYaBro
09-07-2013, 12:07 PM
I'm a rural dweller. My home is 14km from my exchange so ADSL is not available here. The Telecom website says that VDSL is available at my address.

So, does VDSL work at greater distance over copper lines than ADSL - will I get decent speeds 14km from the exchange?

I'm still waiting for a response from Telecom to these questions!

Thanks

Mike

Perhaps they've put in a roadside cabinet close to your house that is VDSL only????
Otherwise I'd say it is a mistake as the distance VDSL works on copper is less than ADSL.

johcar
09-07-2013, 12:36 PM
Try this site: http://bcc.telecomwholesale.co.nz/

Chilling_Silence
10-07-2013, 04:36 PM
Perhaps they've put in a roadside cabinet close to your house that is VDSL only????
Otherwise I'd say it is a mistake as the distance VDSL works on copper is less than ADSL.

All the Ikanos DSLAMs are backwards compatible with ADSL2+ aren't they?

excelsa
10-07-2013, 04:59 PM
Thanks everyone, It's clear that I'm going to have to rely on outrageously expensive mobile data at home until the rural broadband initiative gets going - or, more likely, after hell has frozen over!

Chilling_Silence
10-07-2013, 05:59 PM
What makes you say that? Did you check the link johcar provided? Why not just get VDSL2?