PDA

View Full Version : System error - help please

jupiter1
05-07-2013, 04:11 PM
Hi Team, Occasionaly my system reboots without my intervention.

I have a P4-2.53 with 4 Gig ram.
The HDD config is....

IDE0 pri = drive C 40 Gig XP Pro system slv = drive D 80 gig data
IDE1 Pri = drive E 80 Gig Data Backup slv = DVD Rom

I have moved the paging file from C to E and made it bigger in an attempt to fix this problem.

All error report data follows.
Can some kind soul decode this for me and advise.
Many thanks.
Phil H.

Control panel/admin tools/ event viewer/ system tells me..

Type date Time source category Event user computer
Warning 5/7/2013 2:29:16 pm disk none 51 N/A phils

An error was detected on device \device\harddisk3\D during a paging operation

Details
Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 51
Source: Disk
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: IO_WARNING_PAGING_FAILURE
Message: An error was detected on device %1 during a paging operation.

Explanation
An input/output (I/O) request to a memory-mapped file failed and the operation was retried.

0000: 04 00 68 00 01 00 b6 00 ..h....
0008: 00 00 00 00 33 00 04 80 ....3..€
0010: 2d 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 -.......
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0028: 8e 53 0e 00 00 00 00 00 ŽS......
0030: ff ff ff ff 03 00 00 00 ....
0038: 40 00 00 09 00 00 00 00 @.......
0040: 00 20 0a 12 80 01 20 40 . ..€. @
0048: 00 50 00 00 0a 00 00 00 .P......
0050: 00 10 2a 89 a0 90 30 8a ..* 0
0058: 00 00 00 00 e8 63 64 8a ....cd
0060: 00 00 00 00 50 00 0e 3c ....P..<
0068: 2a 00 3c 0e 00 50 00 00 *.<..P..
0070: 28 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 (.......
0078: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0080: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0088: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

Speedy Gonzales
05-07-2013, 04:44 PM
So is it crashing at all? If its rebooting, is there a blue screen? Here's a few suggestions on the error (https://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=51&eventno=793&source=Disk&phase=1)

pctek
05-07-2013, 04:45 PM
An error was detected on device \device\harddisk3\D during a paging operation

Symbolic Name: IO_WARNING_PAGING_FAILURE
Message: An error was detected on device %1 during a paging operation.
An input/output (I/O) request to a memory-mapped file failed and the operation was retried.

Hard drive failing, Backup and replace.

jupiter1
05-07-2013, 04:51 PM
So is it crashing at all? If its rebooting, is there a blue screen? Here's a few suggestions on the error (https://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=51&eventno=793&source=Disk&phase=1)

Generally not crashing, just giving the warning above and carrying on as if nothing had happened.
Just occasionally rebooting.
I have disabled the screen saver.
Could it be Mozilla FF ? It seems to happen when I leave this open for hours.
I have not proven this to my satisfaction though.

No blue screen !

Cheers,

jupiter1
05-07-2013, 04:52 PM
Hard drive failing, Backup and replace.

Hi PCTech, Which HDD ?

Speedy Gonzales
05-07-2013, 04:53 PM
I would say as Pctek said its starting to fail / die. So get what you want off it then replace the hdd

jupiter1
05-07-2013, 04:56 PM
I would say as Pctek said its starting to fail / die. So get what you want off it then replace the hdd

OK but which HDD.
The one with XP Pro on it or the one with the pagfile on it ?

pctek
06-07-2013, 08:25 AM
Hi PCTech, Which HDD ?

It tells you:

harddisk3

So which drive is it? Well you know how many drives/partitions you have......HDD 3.....

jupiter1
06-07-2013, 01:55 PM
I have just noticed something else.
This error happens every hour, to the second almost.

Does this indicate something other than disk ?

HDD 3 is my data backup disk and is rarely accessed.

bk T
06-07-2013, 02:26 PM
Can you disconnect it and see how it goes?

feersumendjinn
06-07-2013, 10:20 PM
Seeing as the age of this system dates from May 2002, I would suspect it may have more problems than just one HDD fault.
It may be overheating, dust or failed fans or dried-up/loose heatsink on CPU, or similar.
Failing power supply unit?
Leaking capacitors on motherboard or PSU? http://www.badcaps.net/
Bad RAM? http://www.memtest86.com/
Etc.

jupiter1
08-07-2013, 05:59 PM
Just to recap ........My HDD config is....

IDE0 pri = drive C 40 Gig XP Pro system slv = drive D 80 gig data
IDE1 Pri = drive E 80 Gig Data Backup slv = DVD Rom

I de-dusted all fans and grills a short while back when the cmos battery was replaced.
Both fans are working properly and temperatures are within spec.
All cables were reseated when cmos was changed.

Over the past day or so I have changed the pagefile on to each of the HDD's above
but the same error report, (see data in original post), comes up "every hour" to within 5 secs or so !

The original data referred to seems to imply that either HDD1 or 3 could be at fault
but that is probably me not knowing what I am looking at.

I have changed the ram (2x2gig sticks) one at a time with no effect on the error.

Could the fault lie in WinXP pro ? XP is fully updated.

I accept that it could be a bad capacitor or mobo but the exact timing of this fault
to a few seconds seems to exclude this.

The psu was tested as ok a short while ago.
Everything seems to work fine to me as I notice no problem in performance.
I only know what is happening because I looked at cntlpnl/.........../event viewer.

I am totally confused.
Any thoughts will be gratefully accepted.
Phil H.

Jayess64
08-07-2013, 11:47 PM
"Over the past day or so I have changed the pagefile on to each of the HDD's above
but the same error report, (see data in original post), comes up "every hour" to within 5 secs or so !"

That should be telling you something. You describe drive E as "backup". Do you have an automatic backup scheduled once every hour?

jupiter1
09-07-2013, 09:40 AM
Hi No, I do my BU's manually not on auto.
There are no application programs launched and running or minimized.
I have disabled the screen saver and the monitor is usually powered off.
I work outside most of the day and the m/c is left running day and night with only win xp active.

Not sure why there should be any disk activity at all.

Cheers, Phil H.

jupiter1
09-07-2013, 10:00 AM
Incidentally, Malwarebytes and MSessencials are both right up to date and both give a clean bill of health to my system.

dugimodo
09-07-2013, 11:48 AM
It's a weird one, perhaps it's worth disabling the page file altogether and running a full scandisk check on the drives. Then defrag the drive you want to set a pagefile on and enable it again (you don't want a fragmented pagefile). I'd suggested manually setting the min/max size as well, set them the same and the pagefile won't change size 4-8Gb set on both should be plenty. I'm wondering if windows is trying to resize the pagefile and failing for some reason. Also when you change it to another drive make sure you remember to disable the original pagefile or it will use both.

As a drastic measure I'd suggest clearing off one of the drives, disconnecting the rest and trying a clean re install of XP on it. If it's a software fault this will most likely fix it and if it's hardware it will not. If it works at least it'll point you in the right direction to start with.

jupiter1
09-07-2013, 11:59 AM
It's a weird one, perhaps it's worth disabling the page file altogether and running a full scandisk check on the drives.
Hi yes, I have already done this. Scandisk runs OK

Then defrag the drive you want to set a pagefile on and enable it again (you don't want a fragmented pagefile). I'd suggested manually setting the min/max size as well, set them the same and the pagefile won't change size 4-8Gb set on both should be plenty.
I have done this also but set the pagefile to 3069 - 4096. will try a fixed size next.

I'm wondering if windows is trying to resize the pagefile and failing for some reason. Also when you change it to another drive make sure you remember to disable the original pagefile or it will use both.

I did disable the old PF

As a drastic measure I'd suggest clearing off one of the drives, disconnecting the rest and trying a clean re install of XP on it. If it's a software fault this will most likely fix it and if it's hardware it will not. If it works at least it'll point you in the right direction to start with.

I have cleaned of one of the drives ready for a new install but am holding off on the re-install in the mean time to see if I/we can isolate the problem.
What is the reason for disconnecting other drives when installing new XP ?

See comments in quote above

Cheers,
Phil H.

09-07-2013, 01:07 PM
I have cleaned of one of the drives ready for a new install but am holding off on the re-install in the mean time to see if I/we can isolate the problem.
What is the reason for disconnecting other drives when installing new XP ?

See comments in quote above

Cheers,
Phil H.

btw *** DO NOT *** run a defrag if you have a possibly faulty drive. Good way to loose data, corrupt files.

This wont be easy to track down with all those OLD HD's
Make sure the drive is in DMA Mode, not PIO mode , look in the hardware device manager under IDE adapters (the CD might be PIO mode)
Remove any usb dives,flash sticks, any card readers or printers with built in card readers . Disable any CD Direct write programs, any CD Virtualiser type programs etc.
Disable power save completely (for now) . Disable write caching on all HD's for now.
Run surface scans on all HD's

or Just Re-install, see if it runs without the issue then. Its usually the quickest/easiest fix.
Re-install, without the other hd's connected. Keep it as simple as possible untill you are sure the issue has gone, thats why you disconnect the other drives
Keep the c: on a separate cable from the CD for the re-install (for now)

dugimodo
09-07-2013, 02:03 PM
Yeah what 1101 said re the single drive for reinstalling, also protects you from stuffing up the old installation by accident. Not strictly necessary to disconnect the rest but not difficult so I'd recommend it.

Regarding the defrag, good point but I seriously doubt there are 4 faulty hard drives all passing scan disk (going from previous posts) so I suspect that's not the issue. It's good practice to defrag a drive before setting a page file on it but again not strictly necessary. I've even seen it suggested a while back (matching the vintage of your hardware) to set the page file on it's own dedicated partition similar to what linux would do.

For now we just want to try and eliminate as much as possible, disconnecting any unnecessary devices is part of that. Once you have it running without incident you start adding everything back slowly to see if the problem returns and hopefully find the cause if it does. Two similar schools of thought here - eliminate options 1 by 1 until you are left with the cause - or eliminate everything all at once and work your way back 1 by 1 looking for the cause. The second option is often faster as it establishes right away if your system can run without the issue.

jupiter1
10-07-2013, 08:23 PM
Hi Guys, Well, I went the whole hog and removed everything except the 3 HDD's.
I figured that if it still went wrong then it had to be the MOBO or CPU.
I ran chkdisk, (or scandisk as it's called on my system), on all 3 HDD's. There were no failures.

The previous error reports suggested HDD 3 was failing but I had just tested (sucessfully) all 3,
but wait, starting with 0 then 3 = a forth HDD, Yes ?

I have a Seagate 1Tb USB external drive, could this be HDD 3 ?

YES. I re-connected this and I got the error warnings that this thread is all about.
So, I disconnected it again and reconnected everything else and all is working fine, (10 hrs now).

I will run like this for a few days, if all is well, no problem.
If I get another failure then I may try doing a clean instal of Win XP with nothing connected as suggested.

It's strange as I get no error reports when I am backing up my data to this 1Tb external drive,
all the data transfers occurs just fine !
Perhaps there is a configuration problem somewhere ?

Win XP detects it ok and transfers complete Ok.

Very strange, stay tuned, will report back in a couple of days.

Thanks for all your advice.

jupiter1
12-07-2013, 11:05 AM
Quote from previous post.

It's strange as I get no error reports when I am backing up my data to this 1Tb external drive,
all the data transfers occurs just fine !
Perhaps there is a configuration problem somewhere ?

Hi Guys, SOLVED (?)

Everything worked fine when the 1Tb external segate wasnt connected which would seem to indicate that either the disk or the usb2 port was broke.

So I re-connected the 1Tb external segate and ran ceckdisk (scandisk on this system) on the 1Tb external segate resulting in a clean run, no errors !

[quote form last post ] It's strange as I get no error reports when I am backing up my data to this 1Tb external drive, all the data transfers occurs just fine !
Perhaps there is a configuration problem somewhere ? end quote

However a short while later the errors were back.

After a while of in-activity the segate go to sleep for want of a better term.
The heads park and the drive stops spinning.
But, win xp polls it every hour or so and gets an error (that isnt a error !)

Solution. Turn the segate off when not in use.

I cant fine a better solution to this in the manual.

I really appreciate all the help you people have given me on this problem,
which, in the end turned out to be something so simple.

I only discovered this error warning because I looked at the event viewer because my system
occasionally re-boots it's self. There are no event reports on this so it may be due to automatic
MS up-dates having been completed.

Thanks to all,
Phil H.