PDA

View Full Version : problem configuring Outlook 2010 to use Gmail

colmack
05-07-2013, 01:58 PM
Recently I started using Outlook 2010 to access my Gmail account. What I want is to be able to use Outlook primarily, but to have the email records left on the Gmail server (exactly how I currently use Aquamail on my Android phone). In other words, when I send an email using Outlook, I want to see it appear in Outlook's 'Sent Items' as well as Gmail's 'Sent Mail'. Similarly, when I use either program to check my mail, I want anything I've looked at in one program show up as 'Read' in both.
The main problem right now, which I can't seem to resolve, is that while mail sends correctly in Outlook, it does not show in Outlook's Sent Items. When I check back in Gmail, the email sent using Outlook does show up in Sent Mail. New mail seems to be being received correctly in both programs.
In the last couple of days I've made so many adjustments I couldn't honestly describe clearly what I've done! I'm hoping that some knowledgeable person will recognise my problem and be able to describe what settings I need to alter to correct it...

Speedy Gonzales
05-07-2013, 02:01 PM
Did you use Imap??

Nomad
05-07-2013, 02:22 PM
I use Outlook :D I am hessistant to use Gmail b/c IMAP is slower but I have tried it. When you set up Gmail you just throw in the username and password (and how your name appears to the recipients) and I think it's configured that for you automatically which is IMAP.

I think the thing is the Gmail sent folders are those on the Gmail server and that is where it goes to. If you want it in the normal sent folder. You may need to set up a Outlook Rule Action (template). This may not be synced to the server thou b/c it is local to your hard drive (not online/cloud service). Maybe this is how Outlook shows it dunno.

colmack
05-07-2013, 05:35 PM
Hmm, I'm starting to think maybe I can't have things the way I want them... and yet, Aquamail (Android App) and Gmail seem to sync all the relevant folders perfectly...
I'm reasonably sure I've set up Outlook correctly (using IMAP) because it is, essentially, working. The problem seems to be purely with syncing the Sent folder... Now that it's the weekend I'll spend some more time delving into the Outlook settings, and I'll post again if I find a solution. In the meantime, please keep suggestions coming!

linw
05-07-2013, 05:49 PM
Sorry I can' speak directly about Outlook, but I use Thunderbird as an email client for my Gmail account. If I send mail from Thunderbird, it appears in both the TB Sent folder and in the Gmail Sent folder which is what you are looking for.

I use pop3 and my smtp server in TB is the gmail one.

Good luck with your efforts.

Just noticed you use IMAP so my comments aren't useful, I guess.

colmack
05-07-2013, 06:38 PM
Thanks for that linw. Yes, what you have with TB is what I want with Outlook! I've set up the account with IMAP only because everywhere I've looked says you have to (until this my only experience has been with POP3) - maybe I'll try with POP3 too and see if that makes a difference.

Nomad
05-07-2013, 06:49 PM
Thanks for that linw. Yes, what you have with TB is what I want with Outlook! I've set up the account with IMAP only because everywhere I've looked says you have to (until this my only experience has been with POP3) - maybe I'll try with POP3 too and see if that makes a difference.

Gmail can be used with both POP3 and IMAP but if you use POP3 it may delete the emails off the Google Server because it is POP3. Maybe it won't delete the Inbox if you set the POP settings to never delete or delete after xx days but not too sure what happens to the Sent folder that you have online with Gmail. That might just be gone, who knows, b/c you have no say in it.

PS. I've used Outlook with POP ISP email for the last 15yrs taking effort to archive them :D and I have Gmail there now, got it a month ago. It does put them into the Gmail folders. When I look at my normal Sent folder, there is only one email in it - which I BCC to myself and I manually moved it to the Sent box. All the emails I used www.gmail.com to send the email is in the Gmail sent folder.

Nomad
05-07-2013, 10:40 PM
My 2c. I've been trialling out Thunderbird - it it highly suggested in other places too. IMAP is significantly faster than Outlook. This includes accessing the main mail folder let alone going into the Inbox or Sent folder.

Re: your question. If you send the email using Thunderbird it goes to your normal sent box as well as the Sent box under Gmail folder. For Outlook. I have 2010 as well. There might be a bug or maybe I haven't done the update :confused: When I send an email using Outlook IMAP - it goes into the Gmail folder but I get 2x copies. It doesn't go to the normal sent folder.

Re: Outlook and Thunderbird. If you sent an email with the internet browser for example and they are in your Sent folder. Under Outlook or Thunderbird it doesn't appear in your normal sent folder. Only under the Gmail folder. Like - I sent some Trademe emails to the successful bidder (a fridge) using Firefox right. So it's under the Sent folder at gmail.com. When Thunderbird or Outlook spends its pretty time and syncs everything. It's in my Gmail Sent box. It's not in my normal sent box.

But pple like me who have used Outlook at work etc .. it is difficult to move on. Maybe when my ISP makes me pay a fee b/c I have switched this 15yr account to hourly dialup but haven't used the internet but kept the free email address. Should they discontinue dialup, Clear Net were bought by Telstraclear and now Vodafone. I may need to actually use my Gmail, sounds a bit less professional though with official correspondence. It's the MS Word isn't it. At work or at school doing assignments. It's the Adobe for photography.

linw
05-07-2013, 11:18 PM
Quoting Nomad, " but if you use POP3 it may delete the emails off the Google Server because it is POP3".

Just not true. I tell Gmail to archive read mail and then ALL mail ends up under "All mail" - (funnily enough).

Nomad
05-07-2013, 11:44 PM
Quoting Nomad, " but if you use POP3 it may delete the emails off the Google Server because it is POP3".

Just not true. I tell Gmail to archive read mail and then ALL mail ends up under "All mail" - (funnily enough).

But going by default settings, would the mail stil be there? Or did you had to set it up first.

Edit - I checked my Gmail which is my secondary a/c. Gmail keeps it even using POP but could be changed. If it was a normal POP email like off an ISP the mail is generally deleted after it is downloaded.

linw
06-07-2013, 10:17 AM
Yea, at least Gmail gives us a choice about whether email is deleted after being read.