PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Screwdrivers

osbornezo
01-07-2013, 10:38 PM
Anyone know where i can get screwdrivers small enough for netbook/notebook screws? Those stupid little screwdrivers that you can buy dont have enough handle grip.

Thanks in advance

Slankydudl
01-07-2013, 11:04 PM
I have heard good things about this set from Ifixit.
http://www.ifixit.com/Tools/Pro-Tech-Toolkit/IF145-072

wainuitech
01-07-2013, 11:18 PM
You can get the correct size screwdrivers from most GOOD hardware stores or larger stores like mitre10 with reasonable size handles. Laptop screws are not in that tight, if you use a lot of force you'll break something.

The ones I brought are well over 8 years old and work perfectly, were brought from the local hardware shop.

Slankydudl
01-07-2013, 11:27 PM
Are you suggesting actually going to a hardware store... thats crazy talk.

bk T
01-07-2013, 11:38 PM
Are you suggesting actually going to a hardware store... thats crazy talk.

What's wrong with that?

wainuitech
01-07-2013, 11:44 PM
Are you suggesting actually going to a hardware store... thats crazy talk. Explain why not ? As I said the ones I have and use EVERY DAY came from a hardware store, used them for over 8 years, no sign of ware, good size handles.

Just because they dont come in some fancy metal case, cost 10 x more than everything else - doesn't mean they cant work.

I do have an expensive set, they are a PITA to use, handles are not that comfortable and are just dumped in the back of the tool draw. In fact I have a second set, brand new fancy case that I was given, so called Precision Screwdrivers - wont use them, they are in the workshop someplace.

Bobh
02-07-2013, 12:27 AM
Dick Smith sells sets of small screw drivers.

pctek
02-07-2013, 09:01 AM
I have a small set - jewellers screwdrivers? Never used them a lot, occasionally, the best small one I had came with a 2.5" HDD enclosure I bought, have a couple of those now.

But yes, you can buy them from hardware shops - why not? It's HARDWARE - you know - tools and things. Where else would you buy tools?

dugimodo
02-07-2013, 10:40 AM
Probably just a number 1 phillips screwdriver, hardware stores have dozens of different versions of them. Commonly mis used in larger screws because people think a small screw must need a small screw driver but often it's not true.

I have a great one with a full size handle, just a standard stanley screwdriver.
Alternatively if it's smaller than that I have several precision screw drivers around that came in various tool sets over the years, when I can't get enough grip on them I use a pair of pliers on the handle to loosen the screw first, just press down firmly with the other hand and turn the handle with pliers or in extreme cases a small pair of vice grips.

02-07-2013, 10:51 AM
The ones we use at work , for laptops, are the cheapest, nastiest, plastic handled things that I would throw in the bin if I owned them
They work perfectly & have lasted :thumbs:

Just dont get anything that looks like the tip is chrome plated, it will peel off & get under your fingernails. Very painful :horrified

I found that German/Euro made $40 no2 philips didnt actually last any longer than a $10 Stanley.
Yep they do wear out if you use them often, every day. (the tip gets quite worn)

You'll probhably need a no.1 & a no.0 .
Jaycar, Repco sell some good ones, Mitre10 & Bunnings drivers will do the job but may not last long (from experience using them on other things)
Dont use worn out screwdrivers on hard to turn tiny screws, you could end up with a mess