PDA

View Full Version : Rules in MS Outlook

Tony
01-07-2013, 01:28 PM
Does anyone know of a way to create rules with OR as well as AND? I want to be able to say (e.g.) Move a message if it comes from a specific person OR it contains specific words. ATM the only way I can see is to have a second or third rule for it, which seems like overkill.

Any ideas?

wainuitech
01-07-2013, 02:27 PM
Have a read of the Design a custom rule in http://office.microsoft.com/en-nz/outlook-help/manage-email-messages-by-using-rules-HA010355682.aspx -- Lets you add options.

Tony
01-07-2013, 04:41 PM
I must admit I haven't read that link word for word, but as far as I can see it is just a repeat of what is already available within Outlook. It doesn't appear to say anywhere that you can do what I want. Thanks for the response though.

wainuitech
01-07-2013, 04:55 PM
The custom allows you to add multiple actions to the one rule. Skim reading wont show that, but when actually doing it, it all makes sense.

Tony
01-07-2013, 05:15 PM
I understand about multiple actions, but unless I'm missing something obvious they are always ANDed together. You never get the chance to say OR. In my original example, the "standard" sequence would be:

Start from a blank rule
Apply rule to messages I receive
Check "from people" and choose the name I want
Check "with specific words in the body" and choose the words.

At this point the rule says:
"
Apply this rule after the message arrives
from <<email address>>
and with concert in the body

"
Note the AND. What I want is for that to be OR, so I don't have to specify every name when I might be getting emails from as yet unknown people enquiring about the concert.

coldot
01-07-2013, 07:16 PM
Add another rule to filter in any message with 'concert' in the topic?

Tony
01-07-2013, 10:41 PM
Add another rule to filter in any message with 'concert' in the topic?Yes, I realize I can do that. I'm (a) trying to minimize the number of rules I have (currently about 35) and (b) learn as much as I can about Outlook rules. The reason I have 35 is partly because I am doing exactly what you suggest.

wainuitech
01-07-2013, 11:01 PM
After a bit of searching , looks like you cant make the OR rule, outlook doesn't support it.

looks like if you want to use OR you'll have to use WLM.

Someone else asking the same thing you have asked http://superuser.com/questions/405545/outlook-2010-rules-how-to-use-or-boolean

Looks like the other way which I linked before is the only other way with maybe some word /option changes to the original thought. Heres a Link to one with pictures and descriptions #12 on wards - may or may not be a work around since you cant use the OR option :http://www.lse.ac.uk/intranet/LSEServices/IMT/guides/softwareGuides/office2010/Outlook-2010-Creating-Rules-to-Manage-Your-Email.aspx

Tony
01-07-2013, 11:20 PM
After a bit of searching , looks like you can't make the OR rule, outlook doesn't support it.Thanks for all the input and research. I checked out the links and they certainly seem to confirm that there is no OR. I'm not sufficiently fussed to try and plunge into VBA. I've done some Access VBA, but on the few occasions I've looked at VBA in Outlook, my eyes have glazed over pretty quickly. WLM (Windows Live Mail?) made me think of Outlook.com, where I do have an account, but the rules there are absolutely useless.

It looks like I'm stuck with my 35 rules and growing. :(

wainuitech
01-07-2013, 11:31 PM
Windows Live mail is really a cut down version of Outlook. Think of it as a combination of Outlook Express ( XP) and Outlook.

Microsoft make thing "Awkward" by calling different programs the same thing :rolleyes:

Outlook is better than WLM, but then again WLM is free - Outlook is not. Better to stick with Outlook if you have a choice.

Outlook.com is really basic compared to the real outlook program ( Similar names make it confusing).

heres a picture, description of Windows_Live_Mail (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Live_Mail) pic on the right.

Confused :D