PDA

View Full Version : I have NO SOUND...AT ALL!!!

mark1978
28-06-2013, 07:06 PM
Hi Guys,

My wife used the computer a few days ago and now the sound is gone. I am desperately trying to fix the issue but I am unable to do so at this stage!!

I have windows 7 Ultimate, the speakers are connected to the computer, I have tested them and they work perfectly. I have also tried another green port for my headphones which is in the front of the PC and I use this when the kids are in bed and I can still listen to music but even THAT is NOT working. I have tried a troubleshoot session with Windows but this doest get me anywhere.

There are no yellow exclamation marks in the device manager

I can see the playback device and when an MP3 is playing I do see the green bar go up and down....but....no sound..

help

Speedy Gonzales
28-06-2013, 07:15 PM
Is the default sound on speakers?

mark1978
28-06-2013, 07:45 PM
Yes its the default device :) with a green tick!

Speedy Gonzales
28-06-2013, 08:03 PM
I could have a look but you'll have to install teamviewer, so I can check it out

mark1978
28-06-2013, 08:35 PM
Am just downloading the up to date realtek driver, see if this works

Speedy Gonzales
28-06-2013, 08:36 PM
Are you sure you've installed the right drivers? Whats the brand/model of the mobo?

mark1978
28-06-2013, 08:38 PM
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5KPLAMPS/#support_Download_29

wainuitech
28-06-2013, 09:17 PM
Gather you did check its not muted someplace, that will kill both front and rear outputs - the fact that the sound bars are showing generally indicates the audio is working.

mark1978
28-06-2013, 09:24 PM
Hey Wainuitech, yes did all the checks etc...its driving me mad! The speakers are no muted, the system is not muted and I cant even hear any sound over the headphones either

mark1978
28-06-2013, 10:50 PM
Its like the entire system is muted.....but.... it seems to be working?!?!?!
But I cant hear anything!

bk T
28-06-2013, 11:05 PM
Open up your Realtek HD control manager check whether your speaks are connected to 'Rear Speaker'; if so, change to 'Line Out'.

I was tricked by Gigabyte MBs a couple of times and after changing to Line out, it worked OK.

dugimodo
28-06-2013, 11:09 PM
Check again the right device is set as default, you can end up with multiple sound devices on a modern PC - my graphics card has 5 devices by itself due to all the possible monitors it can run.
Right click the speaker icon on the taskbar and select playback devices - quickest way there. If there is more than one possible option test them to see which makes noise.

Any time you plug in a usb sound device like headphones it will automatically become the default audio device, you haven't done that at all ?

Edit: they are plugged into the green line out right? prompted by the previous post I thought I'd ask.

wainuitech
28-06-2013, 11:14 PM
Cant resist :p

My wife used the computer a few days ago and now the sound is gone. Ask her what she touched or what she did with it. :D

:tui:

mark1978
28-06-2013, 11:24 PM
Good one wainuitech!!

Ok say there are only 2 playback devices "speakers" which is the default one and "digital audio (s/PDIF)
I have checked all the settings, the speakers are connected to the green outlet, my headphones dont work on the front green outlet of the computer, it does switch automatically to headphones as soon as I plug them in but... nothing... no sound...

it seems the entire system is on mute but.... everything seems to be working OK.... VERY Strange!!

I have rolled back the driver to the standard windows 7 audio driver, and its currently scanning for malware....its driving me insane!

feersumendjinn
29-06-2013, 01:02 AM
Try unplugging the front headphone/mic cable from the motherboard, it may have shorted out. My brother's pc did exactly this, caused by multiple plugging-in of Apple earphones (4 way 3.2 mm plug, pc socket made for 3 way, apparently buggers the socket).

feersumendjinn
29-06-2013, 01:23 AM

mark1978
29-06-2013, 08:54 AM
Sorry mate...tried it and not working, am just about to format and start again, will post if it helped or not.. :) thanks everyone, see you on the other side ;)

linw
29-06-2013, 10:34 AM
You haven't gone deaf, have you??

Mmmm, reformatting sounds (sorry) a bit OTT.

Good luck.

wainuitech
29-06-2013, 11:24 AM
have you checked the advanced setting in the realtek control panel ?

if you open th econtrols, as long as the speakers are detected and in the green ports the green port will be brighter.

This is an example http://i53.tinypic.com/1zvbb6s.jpg Also look at the top right under the advanced settings have a play through those.

Failing all that you can always try running system restore back to before the Audio went AWOL.

mark1978
29-06-2013, 02:10 PM
Hi Mate, yes I have checked that and nope....no go...still, reformatted the system and no go, I called the PC store and they told me to have a look in the BIOS, it could well be that the controller is kaput. They asked me to change to AC97 instead of High Definition... I have done that....still no go.. am giving up now... :(

mark1978
29-06-2013, 02:40 PM
I found a little USB sound adapter, this works... am sure the controller on the motherboard must be fried, it has to be as I have troubleshooted everything else. My option could be to buy another sound card ?? What do you guys think?

Driftwood
29-06-2013, 04:18 PM
If it is dead, that would be an alternative.
Unless you stick with the usb one.

mark1978
29-06-2013, 05:35 PM
Hi driftwood, thank you for joining and comment, yes, I had a look on trade me for soundcards etc. I love my sounds/music from my pc and I am gutted that it "broke" I could leave the USB adapter on there yes...

Driftwood
29-06-2013, 06:22 PM
The usb devices are cheaper, depends weather they satisfy your taste in sound.
If you want a multi speaker setup you may have to opt for the other.

mark1978
29-06-2013, 06:24 PM
would a PCI card be better than a USB???

Whenu
29-06-2013, 07:08 PM
In "Sounds" in the Control Panel, the mute as shown in the attachment isn't on? When it's on, the sound bar still shows activity.

mark1978
29-06-2013, 07:32 PM
Hey Whenu, thank you kindly for your assistance, yes I did check it and it was not on mute. Its a very strange "fault" everything works accordingly but...no sound... even the headphones jack point on the front of the PC is not working, so I assume it MUST be internal...

Speedy Gonzales
29-06-2013, 07:33 PM
I would check inside the case and see if the cable for the sound is still connected to the right header on the mobo

mark1978
29-06-2013, 07:38 PM
Hey Speedy, yes it still is mate, I checked it this morning before I went to the PC shop to get advice..lol..

Driftwood
29-06-2013, 07:51 PM
would a PCI card be better than a USB???

If you've been looking on trademe you will notice the usb devices only have 1 audio out.
But the pci devices have multiple, similar to the one on your motherboard.
If you're only running stereo speakers it won't matter but if you have 5.1 surround it will.

wainuitech
29-06-2013, 09:51 PM
If you have reformatted, as per post #20 installed the correct drivers and the audio is still dead, the only other thing apart from a dead circuit someplace is the mute is on the keyboard.

If you want a PCI sound card, one That I use often when needed is the genius, its a 5.1 and under $30 This one: http://www.geniusnet.com (http://www.geniusnet.com/wSite/ct?xItem=16852&ctNode=3630&mp=1) Had to put one into a W7 New PC as the guy needed the Game Port, modern motherboards do'nt have them these days.

mark1978
29-06-2013, 10:42 PM
Thanks wainuitech, nope nothing on the keyboard is muted either, I try to explain...
It seems like the entire system is on mute... but... its not on mute...

Also when I looked in the BIOS the audio controller is called Azalia, when googled it is part of Realtek.
There are 2 options available in the BIOS, High Definition Audio and AC97, it was on High Definition but switched to AC97 it made no difference, according to the tech at the shop he said that it sometimes happened this automatically happened. He said that if this did not help it the audio controller would be broken.

Hey and by the way...I signed up to your new forum but did NOT receive a confirmation email!??!?!

wainuitech
30-06-2013, 12:25 AM
Does sound ( no pun intended) that the audio controller may have done something, esp if a third party ( USB) audio works OK and is on a reinstall.

Tell the wife she broke it and she has to pay to repair it --- ( waits for laughter :D)

As for the other site -- same user name as here ??

I dont have any control over emails, but you try contacting Iantech, other wise let us know and I'll contact the others that have site controls to check it out. ( even PM me here if you want with the info)

linw
02-07-2013, 12:50 PM
Mark, I think your wife has been working on one of my computers, as well:D My old A8N-SLI has the same symptoms as yours. Just looks like someone has snipped the wires to the line-out socket. The AC97 won't work with XP or Win 8.1 even though, like yours, I can see the sound volume bars jumping up and down.

Worked fine with a Vista install but not now.

Got several REALLY old PCI audio cards here and got the Vortex one going under XP but, not surprisingly, is a dead duck under Win 8.1.

And, no, I haven't gone deaf:D

Just a mystery what killed it and a fluke of timing with your one, Mark.