PDA

View Full Version : Motherboard just died, is it easy to swap in new motherboard?

Jiggle
28-06-2013, 01:22 PM
Hello

My motherboard has died suddenly, its a ASUS P5K PRO motherboard, I have looked on trademe and ebay and can not find another one. So the next thing to do is to replace it with P5K SE or maybe a P5Q model board. As I would like to avoid the hassle of reinstalling windows, is is possible to just switch the new board in without any issues? I would like to keep the data on my HDD if I can. I also have a OEM version of vista but im sure I can just call microsoft if there are any issues.

Any advice or tips would be much appreciated.

dugimodo
28-06-2013, 01:48 PM
If the new board uses mainly the same hardware and chipset it should be easy enough - windows may need re activating via a call to MS to explain what happened but other than that it should be ok. If however the motherboard has more than minor differences it may fail to boot and will need new drivers installed. It is possible to prepare windows by removing current drivers before swapping hardware but I don't know how you'd manage that with a dead motherboard.

And while I understand the desire to avoid re-installing, it is the best way to get everything working properly without inheriting issues from the old installation. You may just have to bite the bullet and do it. If you have access to another machine you can connect your hard drive to it and recover all your files before installing windows. Or you could just use the backup you make regularly right... ??

linw
28-06-2013, 01:52 PM
You don't say what OS you have on that disk. Is it XP? I have done two mobo transplants recently and was mightily impressed with how Vista and Win 8 handled the massive change that went on under them! They are very good at finding appropriate drivers and I used the mobo driver CD for a couple that weren't discovered.

XP isn't as good but I have had it find drivers, as well, after a mobo transplant. And your new mobo will come with a CD.

In your shoes, given my successes, I would give it a go. Hopefully, you will be surprised!

Driftwood
28-06-2013, 02:06 PM
May be a silly question but how have you confirmed it is the motherboard that has died.

pctek
28-06-2013, 04:20 PM
Hello
ASUS P5K PRO As I would like to avoid the hassle of reinstalling windows, is is possible to just switch the new board in without any issues? .
If you get another ASUS (similar doesn't have to be close at all), it's easy.
I've tried it heaps, it's quite co-operative - boot into safe modem, remove drivers, reboot, install new drivers on request. Voila, happy stable O/S.

Once I had it BSOD on one, even then I removed one via the console, and all went as above after that....

gary67
28-06-2013, 07:22 PM
But can you still get a mobo that supports your CPU?

Jiggle
28-06-2013, 11:15 PM
If the new board uses mainly the same hardware and chipset it should be easy enough - windows may need re activating via a call to MS to explain what happened but other than that it should be ok. If however the motherboard has more than minor differences it may fail to boot and will need new drivers installed. It is possible to prepare windows by removing current drivers before swapping hardware but I don't know how you'd manage that with a dead motherboard.

And while I understand the desire to avoid re-installing, it is the best way to get everything working properly without inheriting issues from the old installation. You may just have to bite the bullet and do it. If you have access to another machine you can connect your hard drive to it and recover all your files before installing windows. Or you could just use the backup you make regularly right... ??

I was wondering if I could just boot up in safe mode, remove and update drivers that way? As for backup, no backup. I could live without those files but would still like to keep them. Maybe I could re install on another HDD and add my HDD as a second drive to get access?

You don't say what OS you have on that disk. Is it XP? I have done two mobo transplants recently and was mightily impressed with how Vista and Win 8 handled the massive change that went on under them! They are very good at finding appropriate drivers and I used the mobo driver CD for a couple that weren't discovered.

XP isn't as good but I have had it find drivers, as well, after a mobo transplant. And your new mobo will come with a CD.

In your shoes, given my successes, I would give it a go. Hopefully, you will be surprised!

I have vista. Will give it a try when I can find a suitable board.

May be a silly question but how have you confirmed it is the motherboard that has died.

I took it into the shop as my computer would not boot. They found the PSU had failed and the motherboard would not post.

If you get another ASUS (similar doesn't have to be close at all), it's easy.
I've tried it heaps, it's quite co-operative - boot into safe modem, remove drivers, reboot, install new drivers on request. Voila, happy stable O/S.

Once I had it BSOD on one, even then I removed one via the console, and all went as above after that....

Yes I was thinking of doing it in safe mode. Thing is that im not to sure what drivers to remove. Will look more into it when I find a board.

But can you still get a mobo that supports your CPU?

Yes. I need a LGA775 board to support core 2 duo.

Speedy Gonzales
28-06-2013, 11:26 PM
Only prob, with some programs / and drivers, it wont let you uninstall them in safe mode. Since most services are disabled. That they need. If the PSU was dead, did you try another one?

pcuser42
28-06-2013, 11:56 PM
I took it into the shop as my computer would not boot. They found the PSU had failed and the motherboard would not post.

If the PSU has failed, replacing that is simple. However the motherboard will be much harder, as Windows probably won't boot, as others have said. (That, and LGA775 motherboards are rare these days.)

I tried to be clever and generalise Windows 8 before upgrading my motherboard, but that backfired when sysprep threw an error halfway through and destroyed part of the OS...