PDA

View Full Version : Freeview Aerials Strength

Brucem
27-06-2013, 11:13 AM
Yesterday I bought a freview terrestrial decoder, but can't get any signal. Unfortunately we were out of the house (for eathquake repairs) over the digital change over period as it checking the cabling etc would have been easier with the analog signal still available. I have an old VHF & UHF aerial system, but recently made a change by putting a splitter into the incoming lead to feed one TV directly rather than via the other. Is there any way that I can check signal strength such as using a meter; I have a simple mutimeter? I dont want to unnecessarily buy a new aerial, or employ someone to do it for me. I suspect that either the new splitter is faulty or one or more of my joints to it are the problem. The aerial system uses "F" cable and connections. I have in mind checking the strength upstream of the splitter and again at the wall outlet.

Speedy Gonzales
27-06-2013, 11:26 AM
Something like this? (http://www.dishtv.co.nz/Meters-Tools/110-Freeview-DTT-Basic-Meter/flypage.tpl.htm)

zqwerty
27-06-2013, 12:30 PM
Using the remote, do the factory setup and then auto search for feeds, will work with Rabbits Ears if you are in a normal residential area.

Nomad
27-06-2013, 01:38 PM
Yes, the link Speedy gave is the meter. I think you attach that to an aerial and get a reading and move around etc.....

I've just done an install for the first time :thumbs: in a somewhat difficult area where I cannot see the tv station and you could say in a valley.

Splitter? Did you have one outlet going to the tv room and to another room before? What is it now? No splitter?

What I would do is take out all your splitters. Splitters can degrade the signal esp if you in a low signal area. Get that good and then put the splitters back if you want that. When you take out the splitter, you can get a joiner like this to attach the two cables back together.
http://www.freeviewshop.co.nz/type-inline-adaptor-femalefemale-p-107.html

If you are struggling for a reception, look at your neighbours and err on the more stronger aerial. Like a larger aerial or if you cannot see it and if you have trees, hills, buildings around obscuring your "line of sight" to the tv station try a Phased Array. I've found electrical wholsalers happy with returning equipment if it doesn't work out - but check with them prior.

When you point the aerial don't just point it in that one correct way, try point it in all diff areas b/c you may get a better signal from the reflection off the hills etc. You might find your decoder already have a signal feature, my USB TV Tuner did, not as quick or as elaborate as the link Speedy gave but ....