PDA

View Full Version : Apple , Android , Windows , Linux , etc ?????

AppleFan
26-06-2013, 06:25 PM
Hey i thought to create another poll , regarding whats your preferred OS as in PC , tablets , Smartphones .

I have put Apple , Android , Windows , Linux , etc .

Also i would like to know whats your say on your preferred operating system and what do you think of the others .

Thanks

pcuser42
26-06-2013, 06:29 PM
Windows 8 is my OS of choice :)

I like keeping up to date with things, and I'm not really keen on Apple's ecosystem. I've tried Linux, but never really warmed to it.

As for smartphones, I'm currently on Windows Phone 7 but would prefer Windows Phone 8.

AppleFan
26-06-2013, 06:40 PM
One thing came to my mind , how does Windows 8.1 look to you , as it seems your a microsoft fan . Today i saw people on internet say Windows 9 will be the best , as a early rumor . Thas the people , whats your thought on 8.1 and 9 .

The Error Guy
26-06-2013, 06:43 PM
Windows 8 is my desktop OS of choice, I have a few "erks" with it, but most have been addressed in 8.1. Also most issues are related to what I'd define as "Legacy Hardware for Windows 8" - The reason being, Windows 8 was really designed for the next generation of hardware, touch based, slim, and with quality hardware/drivers. Unfortunately the OEM's haven't fulfilled that. My laptop is about 3yrs old. Runs great for the most part :)

Smartphone OS is Android, I really haven't liked iOS for a while. The new iOS 7 certainly improves on some things but I still don't really like it. I feel that Android as an OS is quite superior HOWEVER it is very limited by OEM's Software and Hardware

Windows Phone is very nice but not quite my cup of tea.

CYaBro
26-06-2013, 06:49 PM
Needs to be multi-choice.
I have Windows 8 on my own laptop but since we are now an Apple Authorised Reseller I've been playing with the latest MacBook Air and really like it.
I'm also now an Apple Certified Support Professional 10.8. :D

I have iOS on my iPhone4.

fred_fish
26-06-2013, 06:57 PM
I'm also now an Apple Certified Support Professional 10.8. :D
Must be a load off just carrying a toolkit that only contains a peeler... ;)

AppleFan
26-06-2013, 07:04 PM
Hey the error guy , you're right microsoft managed to fix in 8.1 and from my theory i would say windows 8 looks good on a tablet rather than a pc , 8.1 looks however looks to be good on pc and i have seen early preview , it looks microsoft is back with a storm . I havent had much about quality hardware and drivers , so this is my first look .

I will not let everything out yet , i will do my theory on the windows , android , apple , linux , later on as more comments keep incoming .

thanks

AppleFan
26-06-2013, 07:06 PM
sorry for that i tried to do that but looks like it didnt do that , nice to meet an apple certified support professional 10.8 .

pcuser42
26-06-2013, 07:13 PM
One thing came to my mind , how does Windows 8.1 look to you , as it seems your a microsoft fan . Today i saw people on internet say Windows 9 will be the best , as a early rumor . Thas the people , whats your thought on 8.1 and 9 .

Windows 9 is nothing more than rumours and speculation, so I have no opinion on it. As for Windows 8.1, some good and useful improvements on the way - looking forward to the screenshot option in the Share charm :D

And I'm not a complete fan, I hate Internet Explorer ;)

Nomad
26-06-2013, 07:15 PM
I prefer Windows b/c I am familiar with it and that most schools/workplaces use them.

I have never really tried Apple at all incl the iOS. Many of my friends have iPhone, iPads etc. so I guess it's just about getting used to it, a no. of them have moved from Windows laptops to Apple laptops after their experience with the iPhone. I just haven't tried it b/c it's a bit too expensive for me. I have family abroad so get my phone there so some high end Androids can be 40% less than iPhones.

I have used Linux but it's just not my thing. I guess it was some what interesting to learn about it, I learnt Fedora with some commands lines etc. I have also used Ubuntu which is easier to use but I am the type that just want it to be streamlined and just use it as a tool to get a job done. So using something that most people don't use and needing to learn, research about things is not efficient and is not for me. When I go out - I will just drive a Toyota with automatic trans and I don't do off road trekking.

I have used a Android phone that's about it. It's great, fast, big screen, install an app and it's quick. Able to get Google apps, lots of other apps available next/even to iOS. But I think that my 4.7" isn't that user friendly for a one hand operation. Would never think of using Android for a computer thou. I guess Google account is synced and that's great but the other apps I install on my phone are quite different to my computer. Two diff subsets.

Edit - my computers came with XP or Win7. Why spend more money just to accomplish the same tasks :D The last OS I purchased was Win2000 Academic.

plod
26-06-2013, 07:41 PM
Windows 8 is my OS of choice :)

I like keeping up to date with things, and I'm not really keen on Apple's ecosystem. I've tried Linux, but never really warmed to it.

As for smartphones, I'm currently on Windows Phone 7 but would prefer Windows Phone 8.just got the mrs a lumia520, haven't unwrapped it yet as its for birthday next week. Dick smiths $279 I think

plod
26-06-2013, 07:44 PM
As for OS choice, osx at home, iOS for iPad, ICS for my phone. And a mix of XP, OSX and Linux at work. And yes the poll needs to be multi choice

pcuser42
26-06-2013, 07:53 PM
just got the mrs a lumia520, haven't unwrapped it yet as its for birthday next week. Dick smiths $279 I think

Would be nice if it had NFC :(

plod
26-06-2013, 08:15 PM
Would be nice if it had NFC :(she don't even know what that is, the 620 only offered a front facing camera and smaller screen. Even the 720 specs weren't that much more to warrant the money. Might look at the 925 myself when it's released

The Error Guy
26-06-2013, 08:31 PM
When I first started working with OSx I hated it, then I began to like it a bit. As time moved on I found it more and more frustrating to do tasks that seemed to be simple on other OS's.

Yes, I'll admit part of that is because I don't know how to do it on OSX but I do on windows however there were some things that were just plain silly IMO. Unfortunately I can't remember exact examples, but I do know I hate the way the control panel/system preferences equivalent is handled in OSX.

Actually, I DO remember one thing that annoyed me - When copying files from a dying HDD finder would run into an error. Once it encountered the said I/O error is would cancel the copy (fine) but also delete all the progress it had made in the copy. The problem was with some corrupt files, so I planned to delete/skip what ever files were causing the problem. Unfortunately waiting for 10gb to copy, deleting the file and starting the copy again only for it to fail 10.1gb later was a right PITA. At least with other OS's the progress would be left on the target drive.

Chilling_Silence
27-06-2013, 01:16 AM
They finally sorted multiple monitors in the latest osx release they've just announced!

also, Android is Linux. Doesn't that count nomad?

Nomad
27-06-2013, 01:47 AM
Ah ok. Android and Linux was provided. Was only given one choice to vote but the phone is just an appliance for me. Don't use it nearly enough. I mostly just check FB and my email before powering up my computer. On travel,the GPS. Don't call / text often. More often on Skype lol.

Speedy Gonzales
27-06-2013, 09:05 AM
Tried Linux a few yrs ago. Was OK, but it's not that easy trying to set up some printers using it. Got a smartphone with Android on it here. Havent really used it. I'll have to get a memory card sometime, so I can move programs to it. If I update anything on it atm, it runs out of space.

If Apple products weren't so expensive, I may have brought something. I've used one ( a mate's) but that's about it. I've never owned anything Apple (besides an Ipod). Which, I think still works.

AppleFan
01-07-2013, 12:57 PM
Hey everyone , just a little message , poll is still open so feel free to have your vote and comments , i would like to see more comments on this poll , i think this vote is public to , so the public can vote too . Thanks .

Rod J
01-07-2013, 04:18 PM
It's nice to see Linux in second place, only two votes (so far) behind Windows! :D

I use Kubuntu Linux as my main OS on the desktop PC, although I can boot into WinXP on occasion to do the odd thing that just doesn't work (or work as well) in Kubuntu (mostly hardware related). I have an Android phone also. I've never used or owned anything Apple so far.

I agree with Speedy regarding printer setup in Linux, it can be a fiddle.