PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried syncing Outlook contacts and calendar with a new windows phone?

wratterus
26-06-2013, 04:40 PM
What a debacle! Can't use a USB cable even if you wanted to, you've got to install the hotmail connector software, set it (and your phone) up with a microsoft (windows live) account, then manually copy your contacts and calendar to the new 'windows live account' contacts and calendar folder in Outlook.

That would be kind of OK, except nether actually works properly. In this case, trying to copy all of the contacts at one generates a ton of errors about names being too long etc, but if the contact in question is copied on it's own, it copies fine, so we've got to go through all the contacts manually copying them block by block then re-copying individually the ones that didn't copy before.

Then the calendar... so it needs to be copied to the new calendar in the 'windows live' data file, so it will sync...that obviously leaves you with duplicate calendars, but it's not hard to delete one. That would be OK, except it errors with some indecipherable error at the end of the copy process, even though it appears to have copied everything OK.

Now try and do a send/receive (this is how it 'syncs'). it sits there for 5 mins, then times out. After a google search, it appears there is an unpatched bug with the latest version of the Outlook Connector.

Amazing microsoft, really, really good effort. Pat yourselves on the back for this one. :badpc:

Speedy Gonzales
27-06-2013, 08:57 AM
Did you try this? (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2459660) If you're not using Exchange?

wratterus
27-06-2013, 10:24 AM
Um, yes... I'm not saying I don't know how to do it, I'm saying that it doesn't work very well. :p