PDA

View Full Version : Linux CD

bk T
25-06-2013, 10:31 PM
I've got a laptop badly infected with virus and I need to backup some important data before doing a 'clean install' of OS - XP Home.

I intend to use a Linux CD, boot from it and backup my data. What version of Linux is recommended for this task? Never used a Linux before, are they easy to use (user friendly)? Prefer a GUI interface similar to Windows.

Or, it's better to remove the HDD and connect it to a Windows based machine to back up?

wainuitech
25-06-2013, 11:01 PM
I use Ubuntu - its not hard to use, just remember Linux is not Windows , so the file structure is different.

The main Drive ( C) will show as a HDD on the desktop, plug in a USB drive and it will show as a separate drive.

To get to the files on the XP, you need to follow the real path: C:\Documents and settings\ user name\ then you'll see the normal folders, Desktop, my documents etc

Once there, simply right click / Copy/ Paste to the USB Drive

wainuitech
25-06-2013, 11:29 PM
You can also use linux mint, then you will see the Computer Icon on the desktop, then the Hard Drive, but it wont be shown as drive C.

Mirddes
26-06-2013, 12:39 AM
puppy linux, 140MB download, boots quickly and EVERYTHING RUNS AS ROOT

forgot to mention that save states are possible with even a CD-R and no additional media.

will even boot from a zip disk

Chilling_Silence
26-06-2013, 12:45 AM
Mint will be the easiest it you've never done it before!

bk T
26-06-2013, 08:30 AM
Tried Ubuntu, didn't like my old laptop, hang at loading; tried it on my desktop, loads fine, fast, but ... couldn't 'see' my HDD.

Will try Mint later.

bk T
26-06-2013, 09:41 AM
Put the Ubuntu on another desktop, loaded OK but still couldn't find my HDD.
I must have done something not right. Where is it hidden?

Chilling_Silence
26-06-2013, 10:11 AM
What do you mean by "Couldn't find it"?

bk T
26-06-2013, 10:38 AM
Doesn't detect my HDD.

Chilling_Silence
26-06-2013, 12:03 PM
That would be a first... If you open "Computer", it doesn't see it at all?

If you boot it up, you should be able to get online easily enough. Can you open a terminal, run the following command, then copy and paste the output back here?

cat /proc/partitions

^^ Send the output of that :)

bk T
26-06-2013, 12:17 PM
Thanks, Chill. I have downloaded Mint and burnt to DVD it works brilliantly. It's very easy to use and user-friendly; just like Windows.

Have backup all my data and am now re-loading XP - about to finish.

Once again, I thank you all. :thanks :thumbs:

Chilling_Silence
26-06-2013, 02:16 PM
Jolly gooooood! :D

R.M.
26-06-2013, 07:27 PM
Which copy of Linux for 64bit machine? And I probably should have started a new thread.... :(

TIA. :)