PDA

View Full Version : Windows Media Center

Nomad
25-06-2013, 05:49 PM
I am a late comer to this, just been toying around with it with the Xbox 360. Are the Xbox 360 and various other media players the only clients? Can another desktop or laptop computers be clients and grab the media off the server?

wainuitech
25-06-2013, 07:44 PM
WMC can grab and play the media from any device thats connected to a LAN.

Nomad
25-06-2013, 08:08 PM
Does that include the TV Tuner and the DVD function? A bit lost how I implement it from the laptop side when I open up WMC.

wainuitech
25-06-2013, 10:48 PM
yes, you need to set up. Never done it myself with the TV, but the WMC in the lounge can play any movies, music, what ever from any other PC or the Windows home server in the workshop.

Theres truck loads you can read, instead of posting links, go to google and search for :

stream tv to lan windows media center

Personally I just open the shared folder over the LAN, right click - open with Windows Media Center - and away it goes.

As for playing a DVD, personally I have used Media Player Classic http://sourceforge.net/projects/mpcbe/ to play DVD's from another PC to the lounge when the DVD drive in the Media center decided to crap its self one night, you just share the DVD drive like any other folder, with MPC, you go File/Open DVD - Navigate to the networked PC, and play the DVD as per normal.

Media Player Classic has a lot more features than some other players ( including WMC)

Nomad
25-06-2013, 11:50 PM
Correct if I am wrong but I've tried googling, I think WMC per se needs an extender device that might not be a computer? On the big computer it's asking for a 8 digit key.

A Media Center Extender is a standalone device that you can purchase at many consumer electronics stores and online retailers. By connecting an Extender to a wired or wireless home network, you can stream media from your main computer to your Extender.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows7/windows-media-center-extenders-frequently-asked-questions

CYaBro
26-06-2013, 12:51 AM
Google 'remote potato.'
It allows you to use a desktop as an extender for wmc.
The only way to use wmc itself to talk to another machine is with something like dvblink from dvblogic that takes over control if your tuners and shares them on your network so almost anything can use them if there is a dvblink client for that device.
Or check out mediaportal as it does a client/server setup as well.

pcuser42
26-06-2013, 08:41 AM
Can't you just add the folders on the desktop to Media Centre's library on the laptop?

wainuitech
26-06-2013, 09:02 AM
Can't you just add the folders on the desktop to Media Centre's library on the laptop? Thats all I have set up, and WMC in the lounge can see and play from any PC on the LAN.

Depending on the amount off data ( music, movies etc) you have, it can take a while to scan over a LAN and construct the library - its all in the settings. Its easier to do the scans manually Via a LAN that way you can navigate to certain folders instead of it listing everything.

Speedy Gonzales
26-06-2013, 10:34 AM
On WMC if you use it an Xbox can use the tuner thats on the PC. On the pc you add an extender, it'll give you a key. On the Xbox, you can either go to system/ network settings, select the LAN or wireless, then test WMC. If it comes up with an error select continue. It'll ask for the key. You also have to make sure that you allow the Xbox access under advanced sharing options in Windows.

A Xbox can be used as an extender. There's a lot of devices that you can use as an extender. But, I think you can only use one at a time.

Here, most of the files are on this PC. Which, I've set up to be streamed to the Xbox. The other PC's here (with Win7 on them), can also play them (through Homegroup).

Only prob with Windows 8, the system player on the Xbox cant see the files (I would say this is a Win8 bug), because it was fine with Win7. The only way I can play them on the Xbox is I have to run WMC on the Xbox, then go to videos, then play the video. Or select the playto option on the PC to play whatever file on the Xbox.

Nomad
26-06-2013, 01:09 PM
Cheers - may have a look at the program remote potato. Could be very useful.

We have our Xbox 360 extended to the desktop PC. Works great for a moment then the desktop says there is no tv tuner installed so that fails until I delete the extender from the list and after a while WMC re-detects the tv tuner card and I start again by re-tuning the channels. Might hunt around Google or do some updates on the software, already downloaded the latest driver. Will try again and force it thru, maybe it's using the MS driver instead.

Nomad
27-06-2013, 01:29 PM
Google 'remote potato.'
It allows you to use a desktop as an extender for wmc.
The only way to use wmc itself to talk to another machine is with something like dvblink from dvblogic that takes over control if your tuners and shares them on your network so almost anything can use them if there is a dvblink client for that device.
Or check out mediaportal as it does a client/server setup as well.

Cheers :)

I had a look at their webpage. Is the computer accessing generally thru a webpage so thru the net or can you install the server app onto the clients? I did look at their help section which you can access it thru a local IP address of the WMC server but if the computers goes off night and reboots in the day this IP will always change right. I note that tablets/phones do have their own versions of client app though.

http://www.remotepotato.com/

CYaBro
27-06-2013, 03:21 PM
Ideally you would set a static IP on your main media PC, with the Remote Potato server installed, and then yes you access it via a web browser.
If you open the required ports on your router you can also access from anywhere on the internet.