PDA

View Full Version : Parental Controls Windows 8

dpDesignz
25-06-2013, 09:53 AM
Hey Guys

I'm using the built in parental controls in Windows 8 for a client who has staff using a Vodafone WiFi Pocket.

We're just using it so they can only access specific sites when connected to the Pocket, but I want to disable it when they connect to our WiFi on site. Does anyone know of a way to do this??

Cheers

wainuitech
25-06-2013, 10:12 AM
The parental controls are activated through the user account settings, not through the type of internet connection. it is designed for kids generally to stop visiting various sites, time limitations etc.

Apart from either making a separate account for the Wifi, which would defeat the purpose really, you may have to manually turn the parental control off each time, once again defeating the purpose if the user knows how as it needs a admin account to do so.

dpDesignz
25-06-2013, 10:33 AM
Hmm. Thanks. Any suggestions on another program we could use??

Speedy Gonzales
25-06-2013, 10:34 AM
If you want something for kids, get something like this (http://www.kidzy.org/)

It's just come out. It's got restrictions, etc and you can set a time limit. Looks like you can add add a password in its control panel too

dpDesignz
25-06-2013, 10:52 AM
Thanks Speedy. But what I'm wanting to do is limit to specific sites when not connected to the office WiFi, but disable it when they are.

wainuitech
25-06-2013, 11:28 AM
What would be ideal is when connected to the office wifi, it automatically turns off parental control.

But I have no idea how you would do that without altering the user account restrictions. :crying

Just a thought -- Can the Vodafone WiFi connect Via OpenDNS ? you can block sites through that - then when connecting to the office wifi, using a different connection, it shouldn't interfere thus no need for parental control at all -- just a thought :2cents:

Speedy Gonzales
25-06-2013, 11:31 AM
Does the modem have a parental control setting / and a url filter option?? Like on this modem you can set what days wifi is available and set the time. Same goes for sites you can add sites and tick/untick the time the url filter is enabled

dpDesignz
25-06-2013, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the help guys. Will keep digging. :)

Unfortunately these are just the standard Pocket WiFi and Vodafone Routers, so nothing fancy in their settings.