PDA

View Full Version : MOBO urgent advice wanted

jupiter1
23-06-2013, 08:38 PM
I have got a P4-2.53 with 2Gig DDR400 ram running WinXP pro which is right up to date with all updates.
The MOBO is a Elite LAS8A2

At power up it self tests ok and then "detecting hard drives".

Here it freezes.

For many reasons I am certain that it is a MOBO problem.
If I power on/off several times it may boot up OK and will work without fault for days or weeks as long as I don't power down.

I would like to replace the MOBO only.

What is the best, not too expensive MOBO that is compatable with a P42.53 cpu and (up to) 4 Gig ram.

I need to sort this as soon as possible as all accounts and all family history is on the HDD's LUCKILY backed up earlier to day.

Thanks in advance. Phil H.

Chilling_Silence
23-06-2013, 08:51 PM
The data should be safe if it really is the motherboard. You're probably better off getting a new one?

Agent_24
23-06-2013, 09:02 PM
Elite \ ECS board? Not surprised... For a system that age and with a cheap motherboard, don't rule out the PSU though.

You won't get any new P4 boards nowadays :( Might be able to find one second hand but in good condition... hmm.

icow
23-06-2013, 09:36 PM
If can't find one second hand and/or aren't willing to buy second hand gear, it's going to be cheaper to replace the cpu+ram as well.

Nick G
23-06-2013, 09:40 PM
I might have a p4 mobo sitting around, I'll check.

dugimodo
24-06-2013, 12:14 AM
You could try a new CMOS battery also, sometimes weird stuff happens when they are almost flat. Not that hopeful but it's a cheap option to try.
As for replacing the board, it's too old your only option is 2nd hand or a complete MB/CPU/RAM upgrade.

jupiter1
24-06-2013, 09:43 AM
Thanks Guys, CMOS battery was replaced about 6 weeks ago and is/was keeping good time and date so is probably OK.

Will take cover off and check PSU later today.
Stay tuned.
Phil H.

SolMiester
24-06-2013, 09:47 AM
I would get a new PC, ( there is no point fluffing around with P4 mainboards)...a new windows 7 PC and use the drive of the old PC to build a VM of the old PC....

jupiter1
24-06-2013, 01:59 PM
Hi Team, Well, it's all fixed.

I took the cover off and unplugged the system HDD to measure the voltages.
On the power plug red to black was 4.96 volts: yellow to black was 11.67 volts.

When plugged back in the beast powered up and is now working fine.
The plug did not appear to be incorrectly seated, none of them did, neither did the IDE cables.

On the outside of the cover, pretty much right alongside of the system HDD I had a piece of homeware stuck on with a magnet.
Could this have caused the problem ?
It has been there for about 3 months, this problem only first happened yesterday !

I thank you all for your assistance. Lets hope all stays well.
Cheers,
Phil H.

icow
24-06-2013, 05:24 PM
I doubt any magnet that the average consumer would have could do anything to an HDD of a pc. You'd probably need something industrial. If it was the magnet you'd know because you would have irreversibly destroyed all data on the HDD or at least a portion of the HDD.

jupiter1
24-06-2013, 06:03 PM
I doubt any magnet that the average consumer would have could do anything to an HDD of a pc. You'd probably need something industrial. If it was the magnet you'd know because you would have irreversibly destroyed all data on the HDD or at least a portion of the HDD.

Hi, That is what I thought.
The magnet is /was a 40mm square piece of that brown magnet stuff that real estate agents use on their calendar cards.
Hardly likely to stuff up HDD's or data.
No data was corrupted.

I guess that we will never know for sure what the problem was.

pctek
25-06-2013, 01:35 PM
On the outside of the cover, pretty much right alongside of the system HDD I had a piece of homeware stuck on with a magnet.

NO.

I once tried to kill an HDD with a pretty strong magnet. Did everything, all over, top, bottom, sides. Took HDD cover off, all over chips etc....
Nothing, couldn't trash it.

A real magnet will trash a 3.5" floppy disk though......doubt a magnet card would.

As you say, most likely a cable issue.

dugimodo
25-06-2013, 03:23 PM
Have you ever taken a magnet out of a hard drive? At work one of the techs once dismantled a large industrial hard drive that had died and pulled out the magnetic parts of the heads. They promptly stuck together and could not be seperated without using tools, and even with a pair of pliers it was difficult. Those magnets are inside the drive all the time at closer proximity than anything external. I expect it's an extreme example given the drive in question was physically about 4 times the size of a 3.5" hdd but you get the point.