PDA

View Full Version : Unable to Format New USB Frive to NTFS - Now Un-Readable

metatter
23-06-2013, 10:34 AM
Hi,

W7 would not format my new Kingston DataTraveller 100G# 64GB from FAT32 to NTSF, it just came up with error stating there was an error in formatting. The drive was brand new and never had any files stored on it. It was readable prior to trying to format.

Now, the drive is un-readable, it shows in Explorer with a drive letter but under Disk Management, it shows as a Removable drive but with no media.

I have tried to re-format, check for errors but am unable to due windows not being able to recognize it.

The PC has been re-booted several times.

Any ideas on how to resurrect?

Thanks - Peter

pcuser42
23-06-2013, 10:36 AM
You could try cleaning the disk with diskpart (http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/52129-disk-clean-clean-all-diskpart-command.html). However I don't recommended formatting a flash drive as NTFS: use exFAT instead.

metatter
23-06-2013, 11:15 AM
You could try cleaning the disk with diskpart (http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/52129-disk-clean-clean-all-diskpart-command.html). However I don't recommended formatting a flash drive as NTFS: use exFAT instead.

Thank but I am unable to change the drive letter to what I want, it says: "The system cannot find the drive specified".

I'll take note of the exFAT comment when I am able to get access to the drive.

Cheers.

jontee
23-06-2013, 11:23 AM
Don't no about changing from fat32 but by using a different usb port it should @ least be able to see it ?? maybe //// works for me @ times

metatter
23-06-2013, 11:37 AM
Don't no about changing from fat32 but by using a different usb port it should @ least be able to see it ?? maybe //// works for me @ times

Thanks but it doesn't work in any of 8 different ports over two PCs - W7 & W8. I want to get away from FAT32 as I have files larger that 4GB to store.

Cheers.

gary67
23-06-2013, 12:38 PM
Boot a live Linux CD something like Puppy and run Gparted on it if Linux can see it. Often Linux will see what Windows cannot

metatter
23-06-2013, 12:49 PM
Boot a live Linux CD something like Puppy and run Gparted on it if Linux can see it. Often Linux will see what Windows cannot

Thanks Gary

Would this be any different to running Gparted Live? I have just finished downloading that and booted into it but it couldn't see the stick at all. I might take it to work to a Linux guru there and see if he can read it on his machine, otherwise it may have to be a RMA (although I have email Kingston and am waiting for a response from them).

Cheers.

gary67
23-06-2013, 01:31 PM
Gparted live is simply the stand alone part of a Linux Distro. I'm surprised it can't see it. One reason I use Puppy on a flash drive as if puppy can see the drive I'll mount it and see if I can them perform the task I need to

wainuitech
23-06-2013, 01:38 PM
Try ntfstofat32wizard (http://ntfstofat32wizard.com/) I've converted ntfs to Fat32 on USB drives and back again lots of times, never given a problem.

The original program was a give away from Giveawayoftheday, its NOT pirated it was a free version.

To register you can use the free key:

Name: GAOTD

Key:CDKFydQNgZSvwzD

metatter
23-06-2013, 01:41 PM
Gparted live is simply the stand alone part of a Linux Distro. I'm surprised it can't see it. One reason I use Puppy on a flash drive as if puppy can see the drive I'll mount it and see if I can them perform the task I need to

Ok, I'll give Puppy a shot, am downloading now. Will let you know how I get on.

Cheers.

metatter
23-06-2013, 01:49 PM
Try ntfstofat32wizard (http://ntfstofat32wizard.com/) I've converted ntfs to Fat32 on USB drives and back again lots of times, never given a problem.

The original program was a give away from Giveawayoftheday, its NOT pirated it was a free version.

To register you can use the free key:

Name: GAOTD

Key:CDKFydQNgZSvwzD

Thanks but as I am unable to access the drive to do anything ATM, I am unable to use the software, but I will keep it for when I finally get access.

Cheers.

johnd
23-06-2013, 08:24 PM
Formating a pen drive in NTFS should not ruin it - I suggest that you ask for a new one.

metatter
23-06-2013, 09:42 PM
Ok, I'll give Puppy a shot, am downloading now. Will let you know how I get on.

Cheers.

OK, the Puppy didn't give me any love... Looks like it's a RMA.

Thanks for the help guys.

Cheers