PDA

View Full Version : Is this Mighty Ape rig any good?? Help please

taxboy4
21-06-2013, 05:04 PM
http://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/The-War-Monkey/20712350/?utm_source=MailingList&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Computers+News+-+Hot+Deals+%26+Latest+Gear

wratterus
21-06-2013, 05:36 PM
A 1 year warranty? No way, don't touch it. An equivalent PC from CL is around $100 more, will be built to a far better quality, and comes with a proper warranty.

Chilling_Silence
21-06-2013, 08:02 PM
You would do better to spend less on the CPU and more on the GPU, ditch the water cooling to cover the cost and you can probably get a 7970...

wainuitech
21-06-2013, 10:43 PM
A 1 year warranty? No way, don't touch it. An equivalent PC from CL is around $100 more, will be built to a far better quality, and comes with a proper warranty.:+1:

Warranty alone is a rip off. Motherboard - ASUS come with 3 year warranties, Western Digital Drive, Coolermaster Extreme PSU, Sapphire Graphic Cards, all 2 year warranty.

dugimodo
22-06-2013, 08:44 PM
It's an ok rig but as pointed out you can do better.
I wouldn't buy AMD for a gaming Rig myself, an i5 and a GTX670 would game much better than that.

Go to a PC store not a games seller or a chain store, they do their best bless 'em but they don't know computers.
I'd suggest Aiming for something with;

i5 (or i7 but games don't run any better to date)
GTX 670 or HD 7970 (I'd go Nvidia myself but both are decent)
8Gb of RAM - only get more if you have a use for it outside of gaming or it's a standard part of the deal.
Quality PSU, nice case
Windows 7 or 8 - they game the same so it's a matter of which you prefer.

And if the price is low enough add a 120Gb or 256Gb SSD as a C: drive. Any smaller and you can't install any games to it and managing space can become an issue, any bigger costs a small fortune. Some games that access the drive a lot run much better from an SSD, most however only launch slightly quicker but play the same so it's a luxury and not needed.

osbornezo
27-06-2013, 04:19 AM
A 1 year warranty? No way, don't touch it. An equivalent PC from CL is around $100 more, will be built to a far better quality, and comes with a proper warranty.

This.

Zippity
27-06-2013, 07:21 AM
This.

Who?

pctek
27-06-2013, 08:09 AM

I agree.
It's OK, not keen on Sapphire as a brand, I'd change that to ASUS or Gigabyte.
AMD? Mmmmmm.....it's OK, but I'd go Intel for gaming.

ComputerLounge has a better warranty (they honour manufacturer warranty on parts) and it's configurable from them, you can alter parts....

pablo d
27-06-2013, 02:40 PM
Mighty Ape will honour the manufacturer warranty too (they have to), but after the first year you'd probably have to isolate the fault to a specific component yourself and return it to base (assuming that part has a warranty longer than one year).