PDA

View Full Version : Skiting

Clod
21-06-2013, 11:34 AM
I did it, put my new computer together and it goes ! Went with Haswell and haven't worried about separate video card as video is fine at moment with on board graphics. Hardest part was the I/O plate interfering with the motherboard when positioning motherboard in case, broke the silver tags off and everything slotted in fine. And its so much quieter than my old AMD machine (think case fans were getting stuffed). A special thanks to Mr Google for his help :thumbs: .

Also fixed up my internet speed wise and connection reliability . The new computer couldn't pick up my old adaptor so got new one and everythings fine. Skite over :)

Bryan
21-06-2013, 03:06 PM
Every reason to skite - well done you!

Chilling_Silence
21-06-2013, 04:50 PM
Good stuff mate, well done :)

linw
21-06-2013, 05:13 PM
Well, done, indeed. Did the butt clench when you pushed the power button? That is the scary moment, eh.

Clod
21-06-2013, 08:06 PM
Yep, definitely nervous then. Specially after the trouble with the O/I plate- must have had the MOBO in and out a dozen times till I decided to get rid of the tags.

Jen
22-06-2013, 12:53 AM
Great feeling huh. :)

Agent_24
22-06-2013, 01:55 AM
Yep, definitely nervous then. Specially after the trouble with the O/I plate- must have had the MOBO in and out a dozen times till I decided to get rid of the tags.

Just hold them up with your fingers while you get the board in with the other hand. It's easy once you get the hang of it.

You shouldn't really break them off, they are there to provide a ground connection to the jacks etc and reduce (electrical) interference. Not that you will likely notice any diference...

ChazTheGeek
22-06-2013, 12:51 PM
Well done! I remember the first time I built a PC. I was worried whether my parts were faulty or not, whether I had wired it correctly etc.
It's great feeling building a working computer. :)

dugimodo
22-06-2013, 08:26 PM
They need to redesign those tabs on the IO plate, they are a pain in the butt at times. While they are at it it's time to abandon Molex connectors altogether, they are horrible. How many times have I pushed a fan adapter onto a molex plug only to see the pin push out the back of the connecctor.

But griping aside, great job. Careful though it's addictive once you start building them.

linw
23-06-2013, 02:47 PM
+1 on those grounding tabs. Just did a mobo transplant on my oldest comp and those tabs were a pain. Patience is a virtue, though!!