PDA

View Full Version : Best/cheapest naked DSL

wratterus
20-06-2013, 12:58 PM
Helping an old timer out, he has a physical phone line into his flat, however it's not actually connected at this point. He doesn't want or need a landline. He wants to get onto the internet, and I'm trying to give him a bit of an idea what he's going to be looking at.

I've had a squiz around a few providers, but a lot don't seem to have a lot of readily available info.

What would be the best way forward here? He probably wouldn't use over 10GB a month I imagine, I had thought of mobile as an option, connected to a compatible access point, he has a PC (no wireless) and a TV (wireless).

Or even one of these (http://store.telecom.co.nz/mobile/pay-monthly/mobilebroadband/huawei-mobile-wifi-e587), and get a wireless card for the PC, but the data is so dear...

Thoughts? Thanks. :)

Nomad
20-06-2013, 01:46 PM
I heard some suggest Flip for low users which is $55 - $60 for 7-15GB usage, comes with landline.
I was to suggest Snap, $70 for 50GB - nDSL.

The device you linked is a cellular mobile data portable wifi unit. It states $80 for 4GB of data.

I had accessed to that while I was in Japan. You could take out with you in your backpack and surf the net on your phone :D in the country side I could get 30Mbps or was it more than that. Some people I know Skype call while they outside LOL. All you can use of course ;)

Maybe speed is an issue with 2Degrees but worth a mention they have 3GB packs for $50. You could get portable cell wifi's that accept simcards. The one I used came pre-set with a Wifi security password and I would imagine user changeable. These packs cannot be used in areas where they don't have their own towers thou....

Speedy Gonzales
20-06-2013, 03:39 PM
The Asus DSL-N12U can act as a 3G mobile router / WAN. But the only options in it are: WMDMA (UMTS), CDMA2000 (EVDO), or TD-SCDMA. You plug a dongle / USB modem into the USB port

Digby
20-06-2013, 03:47 PM
Naked broadband is no tmuch cheaper than a phonr line with broad band.

Find otu what hes want to o on it ?

Email
Facebook
News
D'L movies ?
Watch the soccer ?

Chilling_Silence
20-06-2013, 04:20 PM
http://www.2talk.co.nz/broadband.html?p=ADSL