PDA

View Full Version : Do we still have interest in a Press F1 Database?

04-12-2001, 08:46 PM
Hello all.

I know this was mentioned a while back but I was wondering if we still have keen interest in a Press F1 Database to streamline the queries process?

This would allow for easier access to already answered questions which could also be put in appropriate categories for searching purposes. What do you all think?

Regards Vicky.

04-12-2001, 09:27 PM
Hi Vicky,

Yes, I'm interested! A FAQ section will be very useful, especially if newcomers can't get to the Press F1 page before reading it so that they get a chance to see if their question is there.

Anything you can do to improve the search engine will be highly useful.

Thanks Vicky!

04-12-2001, 09:50 PM
Database Proposal - 2002 perhaps :-)

The 'recent postings' that we have at present could remain with an automatic placement of the particular postings into appropriate categories (which could be chosen from a dropdown list with more options) when the user is first making the posting. Also postings by date could be added as an option too, if some one knows what particular day they saw a posting but is not sure of what category it is in.

So to sum up, we could have: 1. Postings today 2. Postings by date 3. Categories 4. Feedback.

Also a piece of code to prevent multiple postings would be very helpful.

Regards Vicky

05-12-2001, 06:01 PM
A suggestion. I have found the 'Postings by ...' not very useful, because the followups/replies are not chained from an original posting.

However, the PCWorld search window at the top of the page works nicely.

Except: the search-where buttons ('Site', 'PressF1',...) reset to 'Site' after each search. If that selection was changed to be sticky, that would cover most of what an FAQ database would do. And better, because it is a full search, rather than a selection of fixed keys.

I can see how nasty a job it would be to make a database of it (apart from having to clone James and a few others capable of uptime 24/7 to do the work).

05-12-2001, 06:08 PM
So much for computers making life easier, we still have to do all the work :-)