PDA

View Full Version : 2003 pst file import

linw
19-06-2013, 09:37 PM
Old story, new win 8 laptop bought and Office 2003 isn't compatible. Probably get away with Open Office for docs and Spreadsheets but they used Outlook as well. The old difficult mail switcheroo trick required. They are prepared to cough for Office 2013 with Outlook which leads to two questions:-

1. Will 2013 use the old pst file OK? Pretty sure it can be imported but need to be sure.
2. Is there a reasonable non Office/Outlook approach? (I could probably get pst into Thunderbird on the old machine but bit reluctant to go this route).

wratterus
19-06-2013, 10:50 PM
2013 will import the file perfectly.

linw
20-06-2013, 09:42 AM
Thanks very much. At least that is one certainty!!

20-06-2013, 12:14 PM
Old story, new win 8 laptop bought and Office 2003 isn't compatible. Probably get away with Open Office for docs and Spreadsheets but they used Outlook as well. The old difficult mail switcheroo trick required. They are prepared to cough for Office 2013 with Outlook which leads to two questions:-

1. Will 2013 use the old pst file OK? Pretty sure it can be imported but need to be sure.
2. Is there a reasonable non Office/Outlook approach? (I could probably get pst into Thunderbird on the old machine but bit reluctant to go this route).

Buy them Office 2010 or 2013. (I think thats what you meant when they said they will cough up for Office)
OEM version is not that expensive
Save yourself alot of time & grief, people want something that ALLWAYS works (open office is not 100% compatible)

linw
21-06-2013, 05:32 PM
Lot of sense there but they have decided to pass on Office and go free! I am sure OO would be fine for them as their word processing is very basic and they don't use spreadsheets so that is no problem.

It's the bloody email that has caused me a LOT of grief. All the imports that are supposed to work plain didn't. Tried to import into Thunderbird, Outlook Express, and Aid4mail.

Most disappointed Aid4mail didn't work as it has worked for me before - just said there were no messages in the pst file! Funny that they show in Outlook.

Outlook Express just said it couldn't mapi the files in and Thunderbird said it had imported them but nothing showed up in the import folder created. No wonder it was quick!

I give up. Bit peeved over the time I've wasted on things that are supposed to work. They can print or forward the email they want to keep. I've had it with those darn pst files.

Got the contacts exported so that is something. But, even then, I had to severely edit and re-arrange the csv file.

Grrrr!! and sorry for the rant.

wratterus
21-06-2013, 05:45 PM
Once you're in Outlook, it's not easy to get out. :p

You can export the contacts as .csv, doesn't export groups though and you need to carefully check the mapping, as you've seen.

Try mailstore if you still need to get the email out. Buying Office is by far the best option. :2cents:

Nick G
21-06-2013, 05:48 PM
Libre is nicer than Open Office.

linw
22-06-2013, 02:10 PM
You're right, wratt. "Use Outlook and ve haf you for life!!".

Tried Libre, here, a few months ago, Nick, but found problems that I didn't have with OO. Just can't see the benefit to me to switch.

wainuitech
22-06-2013, 04:41 PM
Just installed the New kingsoft Office 2013 on this W8, works very well. if a person can use MS Office theres next to no learning curve. http://www.kingsoftstore.com/

As for outlook replacement, there are several that are about ( but not as good) that can use outlooks pst file import , but their names evade me at the moment :badpc:

Greven
22-06-2013, 07:03 PM
They need outlook installed in order to import from a PST file, so you will need to install Thunderbird or something on the old computer, import from Outlook & copy the Thunderbird (or whatever) profile to the new computer.

Nick G
22-06-2013, 08:20 PM
You're right, wratt. "Use Outlook and ve haf you for life!!".

Tried Libre, here, a few months ago, Nick, but found problems that I didn't have with OO. Just can't see the benefit to me to switch.
Exact opposite of my experience there :p

What problems did you have with LO but no OO?