PDA

View Full Version : Broadband Speed Test - Automatic

camo
19-06-2013, 09:03 PM
Hi,

I am having a discussion/argument with my broadband provider/Chorus about the broadband speed at my place. They have asked me to provide screenshots of regular speedtests taken throughout the day, to pinpoint the issue.

I have done the speedtest on speedtest.net, consumer online etc.

Is there a program that can do this automatically throughout the day, and collate the data into a graph etc?

I have googled this, and have only come up with testmy.net, which is an american site which gives different readings to the ones Chorus will be looking for i.e. a 10MB/s on Speedtest.net reads as 2.5MB/s on testmy.net.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Cheersss

Chilling_Silence
19-06-2013, 10:52 PM
You're probably better off with installing LogMeIn and using that instead so that you can remotely login and save the speeds.

Chilling_Silence
19-06-2013, 11:03 PM
Actually, here's something I just quickly whipped together.
Download this file
Extract it
Run the file called "loop" and then just sit back and watch.
After 24 hours you'll have a nice shiny file called "logfile" that you can email off to Telecom which has the times in it along with the speeds it downloaded at. It should be *more* than ample for them:
speedtest.zip (1.5 MB)
https://mega.co.nz/#!3MVUlaYA!e2vDylIfXPZ_NHVuW2YBT2xoITQEqXPiD5BI_Ff QN1M

Let me know how you go :)

camo
20-06-2013, 08:11 PM
You're a blardy legend! Will let you know how I go!

decibel
20-06-2013, 10:21 PM
speedtest.zip (1.5 MB)

Well, I'm certainly NOT impressed with Mega -
- firstly, it said that my browser needed updating but Opera said it was fine.
- secondly, Firefox said that Mega wanted to download 50MB "for offline use" when your file was only 1.5MB. When I declined to allow that, it wouldn't give me your zip file.

bk T
20-06-2013, 10:33 PM
Me too. Tried with FF, Mega says the file has been downloaded but nothing in my folder! Fiddled with it 4~5 times and finally got it but don't ask me how I got it.

Chilling_Silence
20-06-2013, 11:10 PM
What happens is it downloads the file into your browser "cache" then gives you a link to click on where it "downloads" it locally from your PC to your PC. It has to do that because of the encryption.

decibel
21-06-2013, 07:37 PM
... It has to do that because of the encryption.
Does it do this every time or just the once ?

Chilling_Silence
21-06-2013, 08:02 PM
Every single download :)

decibel
22-06-2013, 10:50 PM
And presumably this 50MB gets deleted at the end of the process or does it keep filing up your hard drive??

Chilling_Silence
23-06-2013, 01:19 PM
Yeah its temporary cache, AFAIK it'd stored in memory only and doesn't actually hit your disk