PDA

View Full Version : What the heck does this mean?

Billy T
19-06-2013, 11:08 AM
Hi Team

Ever since I started leaving my computer on 24/7 (because of my as-yet unresolved 'failure to boot' issue) from time to time when I turn the monitor on again next morning, I am seeing the attached rather cryptic message, which I assume has popped up at some time during the night. I am pretty sure it appears even if I do leave the monitor on.

There doesn't seem to be any problem, and google was no help, so I just close the message, but I'm curious as to what could be giving rise to this.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

beama
19-06-2013, 11:54 AM
check event viewer for any messages in there might give you a clue

bevy121
19-06-2013, 01:33 PM
never used ParetoLogic DriverCure at all have you?

Agent_24
19-06-2013, 02:39 PM
Doesn't look like a Windows error message. Looks like it's coming from some specific program.

If it comes up every night, take a look at your scheduled tasks. Probably one of them is trying to load the offending program

Billy T
20-06-2013, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the responses;

I've never heard of ParetoLogic DriverCure, but I went into CP to checked for scheduled tasks anyway.

There I found Adobe Flash Player, four Google updaters, and wouldn't you know it, Paretologic PC Health Advisor and Health Advisor Defrag!

Now! I have never heard of Paretologic, or either of these programs so they must have been installed at the time the computer was built or on a subsequent return for the boot problem, either that or they were drive-by installations, and from the web I see that they can be problematic to remove.

Defrag is set for 4:55am every Wednesday and Health Advisor is set to run on Monday and Friday at 4:55am, the latter being the only time that my computer would ordinarily be left on overnight and that is for a scheduled MSE deep scan.

I'll check to see if it was properly activated, but it has possibly been defragging my RAID array every Wednesday, so that may answer my previous concerns over RAID defrags. I'll see which days the warning appears and that will indicate if it is one or the other, or both.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

bevy121
20-06-2013, 02:01 PM
pc health advisor can get in various ways - often bundled with something else that is not noticed when installed

I would remove them both asap - they're not that "problematic" that you should just leave them imo.

You choice of course

Billy T
21-06-2013, 01:12 PM
pc health advisor can get in various ways - often bundled with something else that is not noticed when installed

I would remove them both asap - they're not that "problematic" that you should just leave them imo.

You choice of course

My initial look at removing them seemed a bit complex in terms of the registry elements and threw up some warnings, so as an interim measure I have 'descheduled' them both so that they don't run. If that produces any adverse effects I will create a restore point then remove them via Revo.

They must have been bundled with something when the computer was built, though in theory I received it with OS only, and that was from a new retail boxed copy of XP Pro that I supplied. I have installed only my known and trusted programs and I am wary of add-ons so I esearch all potential installations first and uncheck anything I still don't like the look of after checking the details.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

wainuitech
21-06-2013, 01:29 PM
A lot of those programs like ParetoLogic do get bundled with legit programs and often not even mentioned. One thing that happens a lot is a person downloads some program they want, and often there will be a box pre ticked in the download site, that says ( words to the effect) install {insert program name} and all of a sudden theres rubbish on the PC - and DriverCure is a very common one.

Another common way they get installed is people use the Default (recommended ) install of a program. If theres either an advanced, or custom install option use that, and you'll find that there are usually options to not install ( untick) junk --- Askbar is another common one.

Agent_24
21-06-2013, 01:32 PM
Some installers also have very sneaky wording that will let the crapware slip through if you only give the install options a quick glance

Billy T
22-06-2013, 09:40 PM
Some installers also have very sneaky wording that will let the crapware slip through if you only give the install options a quick glance Thing is, I haven't installed anything of that nature, or anything that might carry that bomb, and it would have shown up long before now if i had, because the config hasn't changed in a year or so. I have a standard list of programs I use and that is all. I'm thinking tthat it must have been added during its time at the builders when they were looking for the cause of my boot problem.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

wainuitech
22-06-2013, 10:21 PM
I'm thinking tthat it must have been added during its time at the builders when they were looking for the cause of my boot problem.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) If thats the case, its very careless of the people who looked at the problem. No one I know who repair computers would install Drivercure on purpose, its well known for its Errrrrrrr Fake cures and cause of many troubles ( best way to put it).

Agent_24
23-06-2013, 12:13 AM
If thats the case, its very careless of the people who looked at the problem. No one I know who repair computers would install Drivercure on purpose, its well known for its Errrrrrrr Fake cures and cause of many troubles ( best way to put it).

Maybe they got sucked in by a tricky installer...

wainuitech
23-06-2013, 11:30 AM
Maybe they got sucked in by a tricky installer... Could be, but thats no real excuse-- people charging to repair others computers shouldn't be using software they dont know exactly whats installing, and no way experiment with different software on a customers PC.

Chilling_Silence
23-06-2013, 01:25 PM
Push WinKey + R and type "msconfig", post what's starting up when you turn your PC on?

Vince
23-06-2013, 04:46 PM
My initial look at removing them seemed a bit complex in terms of the registry elements and threw up some warnings, so as an interim measure I have 'descheduled' them both so that they don't run. If that produces any adverse effects I will create a restore point then remove them via Revo.

They must have been bundled with something when the computer was built, though in theory I received it with OS only, and that was from a new retail boxed copy of XP Pro that I supplied. I have installed only my known and trusted programs and I am wary of add-ons so I esearch all potential installations first and uncheck anything I still don't like the look of after checking the details.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Time for CCleaner!

First us it to uninstall the problem software, Under 'Tools' menu. then run the Cleaner, with browsers closed.
Then scan for 'Registry' errors.

Brows to the malware's folder and delete that. Should help a lot.

By the Way, CCleaner gives good control of 'Startups' as well, also under 'Tools'..