PDA

View Full Version : File finding program for Linux

asdex
18-06-2013, 10:59 PM
Hi I have thousands of file I sometimes need to search. Any recomendations for a program for this? I used Instant File Find in Windows and use Lookeen at work but it's more email orientated. I have a Windows backup drive to search plus other partitions.
Thanks,

fred_fish
19-06-2013, 01:09 AM
'locate' or 'find' for mine.

asdex
19-06-2013, 08:56 AM
Thanks, what about if you want a program rather than using command line?
Cheers,

Nick G
19-06-2013, 09:12 AM
If you're using KDE, Nepomuk?

asdex
19-06-2013, 08:01 PM
I'm using Mint and Mate. I downloaded Beagle but it looks complex to install.
Thanks

fred_fish
19-06-2013, 08:16 PM
Catfish is supposedly a lite 'n easy gui file finder.

Edit: you should also be installing stuff from the repo's. Nothing complicated about that...

asdex
19-06-2013, 08:27 PM
I have installed all the software I use from the software manager. It shows 41009 programs. I'll have a look for Catfish thanks. I guess repo's are repositories which you access from the software manager?

fred_fish
19-06-2013, 11:09 PM
Yes.
The file /etc/apt/sources.list contains the list of sources (unsurprisingly) that your package manager can get software from.

You can "install" foreign software by compiling from source code, but if you do YOU have to do all the work to ensure it is compatible with your library versions, you have all the dependencies satisfied, and it isn't going to break other stuff you have installed.
All this is taken care of for you, by the package maintainers, when software is added to your distribution's repositories.

This is probably one of the most obvious differences people run into when moving from windows, you generally don't just download any old bit of untrusted software you find somewhere on the net.

asdex
21-06-2013, 09:00 AM
Thanks, I tried Catfish and it looks ok. I tried Recoll but couldn't get it to search my external backup drive so uninstalled it. I'll stick to Catfish.
Thanks,