PDA

View Full Version : tablet to connect to internet with 2degrees?

hammer
18-06-2013, 10:28 PM
Wanting to use 2 degrees ( their 12gb plan lasting 1 year seems the most user friendly) with a tablet, on the move... prefer samsung galaxy note .. has anyone ideas on how to achieve this.
does the 3g one work for any sim card? or would it work with the stick? do the adapters work if i just had the wifi only model and used a stick and adapter?

bot
18-06-2013, 11:07 PM
I'd say buy a 3G model.

does the 3g one work for any sim card?

It should work with 2degrees and Vodafone, but check first before using it with Telecom or Skinny. Also make sure the tablet's not locked to a network.

or would it work with the stick?

To the best of my knowledge the sticks only work with computers.

WayneMiddy
18-06-2013, 11:12 PM
Been there done that with an iPad complete waste on money in my case $60 with 2 degrees pages load slower than dialup, use telecom better speed and coverage, Just my 2 cents worth Cheers Wayne

Zippity
18-06-2013, 11:37 PM
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 + Sim card +2 degrees = works a treat :)

Chilling_Silence
19-06-2013, 12:38 AM
I'm with Wayne, I'm stuck on 2D coz of work... Worst mistake I ever made! Frequent timeouts across the board, the *worst* upload... 3G will be at Max signal but it just refuses to transmit or receive at times.

Happens with multiple Nexus 4s, my HTC One X, and workmates iPhone too...

Throw in my brothers XT SIM and instantly the world is right again!

dugimodo
19-06-2013, 09:57 AM
Vodafone and 2 Degrees use a more common standard so more hardware works with them but telecom still work with most. It pays to confirm with the shop before buying what networks a particular device supports because many have versions for each network that can be either firmware locked into one network or may simply not support the right frequency band for the other. I purchased an unlocked Quad band S3 because it works with all NZ networks, I'm pretty sure you can also get a telecom & vodafone supplied version of the same phone that doesn't. (although it's quite likely you could flash unlocked firmware onto them).

I've just recently switched to telecom also, vodafone actually works a bit better for me at work and home but most other places telecom has proven more consistant. I can speedtest on my phone at work and get close to 5Mbps down and 1.5 up - telecom is more like 2Mbps / .900 but that's still usable and the graph is much smoother than vodafone. At other places the results are reversed except I've seen VF drop down to dial up speeds and always gotten at least a few hundred Kbps on telecom.

As far as tablet's go the galaxy note is a nice one, but check out the nexus range as well, the nexus 7 3G is a great little tablet. You did say tablet and not phone right?
For something different check out the asus fonepad & padfone 2 - a 7" atom powered phone (well tablet that can be used as a phone really) & a smartphone/tablet combo respectively. I kinda wish I'd got the padfone, it would replace my galaxy S3 and transformer tablet with one combo device and cost less than they did and mean one sim card for both, also has a keyboard dock available.

http://www.mobicity.co.nz/asus-fonepad-32gb.html
http://www.mobicity.co.nz/asus-padfone-infinity.html
http://www.mobicity.co.nz/google-nexus-7-3g-32gb.html

I'm not advocating mobicity, never dealt with them. But they do have all the models in question :)