PDA

View Full Version : Letting my fingers do the walking

04-12-2001, 08:36 PM
I am about to have to replace my CD rom drive and I am thinking of getting a writeable one.Of course I know nothing about them.
Of course I know nothing about them so could someone tell me the difference between cd-r , cd rw and cd rwr. and ant others there may be. All I want is one to do backups. To transfer files from one to the other. I do not want to download music etc.
Next question. Will they fit in the same hole as the normal cd drive? Is it simply a matter of removing the old and replacing it with the new?
Thanks, Jack

04-12-2001, 08:55 PM
Known by its abbreviation, CD, a compact disc is a polycarbonate with one or more metal layers capable of storing digital information. The most prevalent types of compact discs are those used by the music industry to store digital recordings and CD-ROMs used to store computer data. Both of these types of compact disc are read-only, which means that once the data has been recorded onto them, they can only be read, or played.

Another type of compact disc, called CD-Rs and CD_RWs, can have their data erased and overwritten by new data. Currently, erasable optical storage is too slow to be used as a computer's main storage facility, but as the speed improves and the cost comes down, optical storage devices are becoming a popular alternative to tape systems as a backup method. I use CD RW as my backup and it works well. The 650 - 700 Mb storage of the CD's is ample for most backups. You can use a program such as 'File Splitter'
to split files larger than the CD R \ RW capacity to place it on multiple CD's.

T Bar

04-12-2001, 09:36 PM
My research indicates that CD-R is writable only once, whereas CD-RW can be written over many times and is thus a better option for backing up data.

I also understand that CD-RW disks cannot be read by older CD players and is thus not the best option for music CDs. CD-R disks are more compatible in this respect. However, Jack, you don't intend to record music so that won't bother you.

04-12-2001, 11:10 PM
yes it fits in the same hole. install the same as old cd rom.

cdr is the cheapest media but write once only. cdrw dearer but can write multiable times(note-they do have a limit on the amount of writes)

older cd roms(and even some newish ones) may not read the newer formats used with burning cd's.

don't forget the cd burning software.